Author Topic: Other hobbies  (Read 13876 times)

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
Re: Other hobbies
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2014, 12:08:01 PM »
fitzy, someday when your older, i'll tell you my '63 corvette story. it'll have to be on a day when your feeling strong as it'll make you wanna cry !

Oh, no!  I'm not sure I'll want to hear it -- even when I do grow up...!

I'll try to brace myself; let it fly whenever you're ready...
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

Louis

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2014, 02:52:29 PM »
I retired in May last yr 2013 and just do solo acts in lounges and having a heck of a time to get started cause I just want to do hi end lounges like the Hilton's .Besides that I'm really heavy in flight simulation ,which most people when you mention it don't have a clue what I'm talking about.
Taylor 315ce Jumbo 2010
Bose L1’s (2)
Fender F65--1977
Taylor 12 string 356ce

Fender Strat - 50's special edition (red)
Heil. Fin  microphone
Fender 512 sub woofer
Digiteck 3 vocal harmonizer

stepchildusmc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2014, 09:29:08 PM »
ok fitzy, here it is....
 i went to high school in Anchorage AK. i got my license in my jr year and quickly bought a 68 camaro off a used car lot. it wasnt much of a car and well, i wasn't much of a driver yet either ! so long story short, camaro didn't last long. the guy that owns/owned the speed shop on 4th avenue had a baby blue '63 'vette for sale for 6k. it's body was cracked in a bunch of places, had a 454 with an 871 blower stickin' outta the hood and 31" mickey thompson slicks tucked under its tubbed rear end.(anybody that spent any time in Anchorage in the '80's knows this car)
well anyway, i bought it and the seller had a parts doner car that went with it. a laguna blue shell with most of the suspension, engine and tranny came with it but not installed. most of the interior was gone but it was a solid body. guy said it was a '63 also but i didnt believe it even though the title listed it as so.... it just didn't have the distinctive split window !
 well, anyway... a 16 yr old with a tubbed '63 vette as his primary source of transportation in Anchorage Ak in january isn't the smartest thing ! i ended up selling it to a bush pilot at the anchorage airport and buying a dropped '78 chevy shortbed pickup. i gave him the parts car with the sale( i almost broke even at least). the story lies dormant from there until just a few years ago while watching the Barrett-jackson auction on tv. they had a '63 vette up for sale and the announcer was explaining away why this particular model didn't have the famed split window. toward the end of the production run of '63, many people were complaining that the rear window post made it impossible to see behind you so chevy offer a post-delete option. 41 '63 vettes were made without the rear window post... my "parts car " was one !!!
 when i dropped off the parts car, the buyer had me put it behind one of his 3 small hangars with his other parts cars. there were a few dozen back there. a '57 210, a coupla other 'vettes, some '50's stuff.
i often wonder if that parts car is still sitting behind that hangar.......

$
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 12:56:41 AM by UTGF-Team »
Steppy
2008 NAMM Hot Rod(GA)
2013 spring ltd. 616 ce
2013 616 ce(honeyburst)
2011 Adamas 2080Sr
2014 324
2014 GS mini Hog
2013 GS mini Spruce
2014 GS mini Engelmann (HV)
only thing lacking is the talent !

emidyl

« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2014, 08:50:39 AM »
ok fitzy, here it is....
 i went to high school in Anchorage AK. i got my license in my jr year and quickly bought a 68 camaro off a used car lot. it wasnt much of a car and well, i wasn't much of a driver yet either ! so long story short, camaro didn't last long. the guy that owns/owned the speed shop on 4th avenue had a baby blue '63 'vette for sale for 6k. it's body was cracked in a bunch of places, had a 454 with an 871 blower stickin' outta the hood and 31" mickey thompson slicks tucked under its tubbed rear end.(anybody that spent any time in Anchorage in the '80's knows this car)
well anyway, i bought it and the seller had a parts doner car that went with it. a laguna blue shell with most of the suspension, engine and tranny came with it but not installed. most of the interior was gone but it was a solid body. guy said it was a '63 also but i didnt believe it even though the title listed it as so.... it just didn't have the distinctive split window !
 well, anyway... a 16 yr old with a tubbed '63 vette as his primary source of transportation in Anchorage Ak in january isn't the smartest thing ! i ended up selling it to a bush pilot at the anchorage airport and buying a dropped '78 chevy shortbed pickup. i gave him the parts car with the sale( i almost broke even at least). the story lies dormant from there until just a few years ago while watching the Barrett-jackson auction on tv. they had a '63 vette up for sale and the announcer was explaining away why this particular model didn't have the famed split window. toward the end of the production run of '63, many people were complaining that the rear window post made it impossible to see behind you so chevy offer a post-delete option. 41 '63 vettes were made without the rear window post... my "parts car " was one !!!
 when i dropped off the parts car, the buyer had me put it behind one of his 3 small hangars with his other parts cars. there were a few dozen back there. a '57 210, a coupla other 'vettes, some '50's stuff.

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 12:55:09 AM by UTGF-Team »
2013 Taylor 528e
2014 Taylor 214ce K DLX
2014 Taylor GS Mini Holden
2012 Gretsch 6118T Annie
2013 Godin Session
2013 Takamine GN20-NS
2006 Simon & Patrick GT Vintage Burst CW
2009 Fender Strat

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2014, 01:57:36 PM »
ok fitzy, here it is....

Oh, no, no, no, no, noooooo! :'(  You need to take a trip to Alaska...!

I knew that people (and true to Zora Duntov's predictions) were complaining about rearward visibility on the SWC -- and that some had even taken to cutting the split post out of their '63 coupes.  But I didn't know there were a cache of factory-produced '63 coupes with the rear split post deleted...!  What are the odds...?!

*SIGH*  We've all to a story about the car that got away, but mine isn't nearly as gut-wrenching as yours...!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 12:55:32 AM by UTGF-Team »
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

seanD

« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2014, 09:35:36 PM »
Surfing, skiing, tennis, travel (especially to Utah for great snow and lovely new wives).

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2014, 10:34:37 PM »
I love to golf, play the guitar....and there's a forum that I run on the side.   ;)

Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

dcarey

« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2014, 05:29:57 PM »
Lately I've been dabbling in this:

And these:

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2014, 07:05:56 PM »
Lately I've been dabbling in this:

And these:

Considering the instrument and the scrimshaw motif, could we say you're involved with bow and stern?
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

dcarey

« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2014, 07:05:30 PM »
GROAN!  ::)
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.