Author Topic: Other hobbies  (Read 13874 times)

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: Other hobbies
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 06:35:17 AM »
Cycling - I enjoy bike tours that are 400-600 miles, one day 100 milers.
Us too. Our favorite ride is DALMAC, which is a tour from Lansing, MI (State capital) to (and over) the Mackinac Bridge. We have done it 6 times.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

mikeguywest

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 01:22:17 PM »
Primarily guitar playing and song writing. Time doesn't allow for much more than that. If I were to take up a new hobby it would probably be woodturning, making pens and other small items.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 04:11:43 PM »

My husband and his wife like to brew beer too, Jay.
i didn't know you are in Utah Lizzy !  ;D ;D ;D
i used to love bodybuilding and martial arts.. my body is a bit torn up for that now though. i haven't found a suitable replacement for those yet. i spend a lot of time abroad and have little time to play guitar these days let alone find more hobbies.  i still love really fast motorcycles( top recorded speed- 188 mph on 2 wheels) and fun cars but i have slowed down quite a bit as of late.... that's where guitars have come in... like everything else i decide to do.... i tend to go all out with an all or nothing attitude. i'd love to find something more sane but i'm not sure i'm built for that. a few years ago when i was still unable to walk i was miserable as hell... not out of anger or pain, i'm just not very good at sitting still...surprising since my former job was to sit/lay for 12-14 hours or more at a stretch bt that was a lot different, total concentration required.

OMG...people really do pay attention to what I say in my posts. BROTHER and his wife...not husband and his wife. Good grief.

That was my first thought too but if he buys you a new guitar now and then who cares
i'm a little late to the party, but a huh ??? what ???
definitely crossed my mind for a second or three ;)

taking care of dogs that i've acquired from irresponsible friend-of-friends, abandoned in my 'hood & failed
foster rescues, while trying to get that thing that's in my avatar dialed in & into the 11's on the motor -
no, it's not the silver wagon, it's the other one ... true 302 CID, none of this overbore, stroker crank business 8)

oh ... & posting youtube links ;)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

stepchildusmc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 06:56:36 PM »
umm...uhh... isn't that really a 4.9L micheal?
this is a 5.0... i just got the matching F-150 Raptor for christmas... no guitar like i hoped, just a truck
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Steppy
2008 NAMM Hot Rod(GA)
2013 spring ltd. 616 ce
2013 616 ce(honeyburst)
2011 Adamas 2080Sr
2014 324
2014 GS mini Hog
2013 GS mini Spruce
2014 GS mini Engelmann (HV)
only thing lacking is the talent !

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 07:55:20 PM »
this is a 5.0... i just got the matching F-150 Raptor for christmas... no guitar like i hoped, just a truck
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I have a friend that has that car.  It gets up a moves nicely!
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 08:56:09 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
i  didn't say it was a "5.0" -
i removed the 5.0 badging because it's a little bit  "optimistic" & also less weight goes faster

the small block chevrolet 305 comes closest to being a true "5.0" at 5001cc, or 305.2 CID

there no .030" overbore done, to a 306, because the block didn't need it & the car ran so
strong before the engine was ever went into, that i re-used the factory pistons, rod & crank -
if i were going to throw more than a tiny bottle at it, id've stepped up to the dart sportsman block,
but the 331, systemax, AFR, ed curtis cam'd boosted beast will have to wait ... for a long time, if ever
none of this 347 nonsense :-\

the H.O. roller has a 4.00" bore & 3.00" stroke, which comes out to 4942cc -
car & driver correctly lists the displacement as being 4.9 liters in their road test specs, but at the ford place &
about everywhere one goes to get parts for this "bad boy", they're going to ask "is it a 5-oh ?", so it doesn't
share the 4.9 designation, as not be confused with the 300 CID in-line 6 cylinder that was used in the f150

that coyote boss is just over "the line" at 4951cc, with a 3.63" bore & 3.65" stroke, with 444HP & 380TQ -
with peak HP at 7400RPM & a red line of 7500, if one tries to drive the boss like they stole it, to get last extra
.01th out of the ET, they'll end up plunking down a good bit of $ to upgrade the clutch, trans & driveshaft :o

the raptor is a nice tow vehicle for the boss - 411HP & 434TQ out of that 6.2 will move 'em along :D

where i'll end up running the car is 16 ft above sea level, but i'm not sure if it'll 60 ft as well as the
legendary traction at Atco, back in the day when the only competition for the mustangs was the buick GN

9 more cc's - cool  8)
"a" before "e", thanks ;)

I have a friend that has that car.  It gets up a moves nicely!
sweet :D
they do ok, even when stock, but it moves out a bit more nicely now ;)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Lizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2014, 12:56:33 AM »
Making pure maple syrup with my husband....Sweet Liquid Gold!

Music and Maple Syrup are our two #1's.

#2 is traveling the US in the motorhome riding roller coasters with my husband.
The city where I live in Southern Indiana is home to, Wesselman Woods, which is the largest virgin forest inside city limits in the country. Every year they have the Maple Sugarbush festival where they have a pancake breakfast, a live folk band, and give tours through a track of land where they show you from start to finish how to make pure maple syrup. We go every year and I am always astounded at how much sap it takes to make a small amount of syrup....let alone the work involved. They always serve their syrup on the tables, but they sell pure maple syrup from other places. A lot of the jars are shaped like maple leaves and very pretty. I wonder if I have ever bought any of yours!

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2014, 01:16:40 AM »
 beer
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

dmccrider

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2014, 02:07:25 AM »
Definitely +1 for Mountain Biking. I was always the jock type (basketball, football, snowboarding, etc.) until my 30s when the injuries started piling up and sitting around waiting to recover drove me stir crazy! Mountain biking and guitar were adaptions that can be traced back to the rehab process. Mountain biking originally started as a way to strengthen the legs and lungs but it quickly turned into my #1 passion and ultimately another way to put my body at risk. ;) I started playing guitar about 8yrs ago as a way to pass the time while my body was at rest and now I wonder how it's possible I never thought of playing an instrument sooner! For years it seemed like we all rode bikes, but I'm 40 now and have got much better at the music thing, and over the last few years I've made tons of new music playing friends. Musicians and mountain biking sometimes seems like an odd fit but I love it and we have a lot of fun. San Diego is where I call home but California, Oregon, AZ, NV, and UT is where I roam. My wife, my friends, and I love to spend weekends camping and ripping sweet trails. Now that I've got enough time on the 6 string, it gets invited to come along too. Makes me happy.  :)

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2014, 08:40:59 AM »

The city where I live in Southern Indiana is home to, Wesselman Woods, which is the largest virgin forest inside city limits in the country. Every year they have the Maple Sugarbush festival where they have a pancake breakfast, a live folk band, and give tours through a track of land where they show you from start to finish how to make pure maple syrup. We go every year and I am always astounded at how much sap it takes to make a small amount of syrup....let alone the work involved. They always serve their syrup on the tables, but they sell pure maple syrup from other places. A lot of the jars are shaped like maple leaves and very pretty. I wonder if I have ever bought any of yours!
Lizzy, you wouldn't have had any of our maple syrup, because all of ours is sold in Michigan. You are right, it is labor intensive to make pure maple syrup, and you have to have a lot of knowledge about the process and the proper equipment to make it right (if you are making it to sell). You are also right that it takes a lot of sap. If sap is at 2% sugar content, it will take 43 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of syrup. If sap is at 1% sugar content, it will take 86 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of syrup. So, you can really appreciate why pure maple syrup costs as much as it does. We only produce Grade A light or medium amber syrup, which is the best. It is mmm mmm good.  ;D
Susie

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2014, 08:58:58 AM »

Lizzy, you wouldn't have had any of our maple syrup, because all of ours is sold in Michigan. You are right, it is labor intensive to make pure maple syrup, and you have to have a lot of knowledge about the process and the proper equipment to make it right (if you are making it to sell). You are also right that it takes a lot of sap. If sap is at 2% sugar content, it will take 43 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of syrup. If sap is at 1% sugar content, it will take 86 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of syrup. So, you can really appreciate why pure maple syrup costs as much as it does. We only produce Grade A light or medium amber syrup, which is the best. It is mmm mmm good.  ;D

I think I will have some pancakes and maple syrup for breakfast today. ;D
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2014, 09:18:19 AM »
Is guitars/music your #1 hobby? If not, what is?

I don't think you really need to ask me that question. Should be obvious!  ::)
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

The Doctor

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2014, 12:57:32 PM »

Do you ship to Hawaii?
~Jack

2011 GS Mini
2013 414ce
2013 T5z Custom Koa
Fishman Loudbox Mini

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2014, 01:09:38 PM »

Do you ship to Hawaii?
If you pay for shipping.  :)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 01:11:32 PM by TaylorGirl »
Susie

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2014, 01:15:57 PM »

Do you ship to Hawaii?
If you pay for shipping.  :)

I'll PM you my address...I'd love to buy some from you!
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard