Author Topic: Guitar Price Discussion Taboo  (Read 12919 times)

M19

• Veteran Member
Re: Guitar Price Discussion Taboo
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2011, 11:25:15 PM »
Well, Ed, in a specific instance, I want to know what you paid for that GORGEOUS R. Taylor in maple. I bet it was a BAZILLION dollars, 'casue that's what it looks like! ;D
Marty B.
Multi-Brand Owner

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales

• Veteran Member
    • LA Guitar Sales
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2011, 07:52:43 PM »
I've never cared much for the pricing discussions but that is nothing compared to dealers trying to create business posting on the forum with their postings.  Its far more annoying when dealers are shilling to everyone that mentions interest in a guitar.

-Dave

I hate that too Dave. ;D

In all seriousness, on another forum we had some great fun with threads I started having to do with custom runs I was planning. Folks felt they had some input, which they did, while others could vent about what they didn't like. All in all these threads were well received because people got to do what they come to forums like this for in the first place, talk about guitars.

I know there are some that would rather not have dealer involvement in a forum like this, but in my experience they are the minority. Good news for guys like you is not many dealers bother to participate so you will only have to put up with a couple of annoying dealers like me.  ;)

John429

• Ann Arbor, MI
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2011, 11:30:39 PM »
Ted,
I really appreciate the knowledge that you (and Jim too) bring to our forum. I know that both of you have helped me understand many interesting technical details about Taylor guitars that I would not easily have come across on my own. Thank you very much for participating here at the forum with us - you guys are a wonderful resource  :)
2004 Taylor 614ce L30 (daughter's guitar)
2007 Taylor 612ce

cotten

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2011, 02:07:00 AM »
I know a guy who bought his first "step up" guitar, a nice Taylor. He was thrilled with it in every way. That is, until he went on a guitar forum and discovered that he'd paid more than he needed to. That soured him on the guitar, and he eventually sold it and went back to what he had been playing for years. Now he thinks most any guitar over about $800 is "overrated," and seems to have an aggressive bent to his opinion.

Had that forum not discussed guitar prices, he still may have discovered that he had paid more than necessary, but it would have taken longer at least. 

cotten
Soli Deo Gloria

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2011, 02:16:16 AM »
I know a guy who bought his first "step up" guitar, a nice Taylor. He was thrilled with it in every way. That is, until he went on a guitar forum and discovered that he'd paid more than he needed to. That soured him on the guitar, and he eventually sold it and went back to what he had been playing for years. Now he thinks most any guitar over about $800 is "overrated," and seems to have an aggressive bent to his opinion.

Had that forum not discussed guitar prices, he still may have discovered that he had paid more than necessary, but it would have taken longer at least. 

cotten
sounds like, to me, that the guitar that he'd been playing for years was the right guitar for him & hopefully he's still playing & enjoying it :)

imho, there are many, many, many great guitars available for under 8 bills ... & some of them just might happen to be Taylors ;)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

cotten

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2011, 10:41:11 AM »
Evidently, he agrees with you, Michael, that his old guitar is the one for him, though he is now very anti-Taylor. Oh well. Funny though. He loved his Taylor until he found that he had overpaid by a bit.

cotten
Soli Deo Gloria

e8n

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2011, 04:36:31 PM »
I hate that too Dave. ;D

In all seriousness, on another forum we had some great fun with threads I started having to do with custom runs I was planning. Folks felt they had some input, which they did, while others could vent about what they didn't like. All in all these threads were well received because people got to do what they come to forums like this for in the first place, talk about guitars.

I know there are some that would rather not have dealer involvement in a forum like this, but in my experience they are the minority. Good news for guys like you is not many dealers bother to participate so you will only have to put up with a couple of annoying dealers like me.  ;)

Members who are specing out their BTO don't want dealers jumping on threads to tell them about the one they just ordered for someone else, nor do they want dealers trying to sell them when they are just trying to get questions answered.

Would I prefer to have dealers on the forum, no okay,  maybe to answer general questions, "is this offered on a bto?" or "is the 700 series going away?" or "what's causing this buzzing sound?", then yes.  Do I personally want you or Jim or MFG answering questions with a bent on selling me something, no.   This would include even if the dealer is a sponsor.

I do not believe that I'm in the minority on this here based on the many private emails I've gotten here and on the other forum over the last year.  People grow weary of posting if they don't feel they can post without someone trying to sell them something and that takes away a great deal of enjoyment to the forum for many people.

For almost all of us here this is not a business, it is a hobby we love and want to talk about with others just like us.  We should be able to do so without the shill all the time.

-Dave
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 12:42:43 PM by jjrpilot-admin »
2011 Taylor Custom GS (Adi/Rosewood)
2012 Taylor 814LTD Spring Limited
2008 Fender Telecaster
2010 Kentucky Mandolin

Guitars of the past: Alvarez AD60, 2007 Taylor 110ce, 2006 Taylor 710ce, Taylor 2008 GS Fall Ltd, 2010 Taylor 814ce, 2010 Taylor K26c,2010 Taylor Custom DN, Taylor 714ce

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2011, 02:06:33 AM »
"Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten". C. G. Campbell

if all that's remembered is the price, then perhaps the quality was forgotten ???

out of respect for our forum administrator & friend, i believe this one's run it's course -
thank you all for participating in this interesting & enlightening discussion
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/