Author Topic: Snug Taylor cases  (Read 9424 times)

MexicoMike

• Veteran Member
Re: Snug Taylor cases
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2013, 09:04:13 AM »
The guitar should be very tight around the body in the padding with no movement at all - that's a good thing.  But the issue I had where the tip of the headstock is actually in contact with that part of the case is a very bad thing. I sometimes wonder if the shop gave me the wrong case...but they insisted it was the correct one.  I ended up giving the Taylor case to a friend who has a bunch of guitars, figuring he could use it for something.

Re gig bags - I use a Guitar Research gig bag and like it a lot.  It can accommodate a guitar, my Digitech Live 3 Harmonizer, Shure SM58 mic, and the necessary cables with no trouble at all.  Like most bags it can be carried like a guitar case or strapped on your back.  It is large enough to carry any of my 3 possible gig guitars - Martin HD 28, Taylor 414ce, Taylor GS-5 12 string.

I seldom carry a guitar to a gig in other than the gig bag so it works well for me.  I looked briefly at the Taylor gig bag when I was buying my 12 string but didn't see anything that it offered over other bags and frankly, I don't like carrying around stuff with company logos emblazoned on them for two reasons.  I don't care to publicly proclaim there is something that might be worth stealing inside AND I don't care to provide free advertising for companies; they can pay for their own! ;)

ctkarslake

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2013, 10:51:26 AM »
Opposite for me.  All my 90s Grand Concerts fit snug as a bug in their cases but my 2007 GC3 is loose.  It wiggles and shimmies back and forth within the case, very strange for Taylor really.  It must have been made when their forms were stretching out :(.  I would much rather have a tight case than a loose one!
1989 712
1992 410
1992 412
1995 410
1995 422
1996 412-M
1996 450
1997 412
1997 420-R
2007 GC3

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2013, 11:05:06 AM »
My GC case is extremely tight, even though I've been taking the guitar out of its case every day since 2011.  Doesn't seem to ever loosen up, which is fine by me.  There's a bit more slack in my 814 case.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 11:22:37 AM »
What's the consensus on the Taylor gig bag (I think they call it a "hard bag")? Should I invest in one of those for taking my guitar around town? Advice appreciated ...

I've owned one for years, and I do use it for around town with great results! I would highly recommend one...
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

mikeguywest

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2013, 12:44:14 PM »
No problem here. My 2012 GS8e case is snug, but I like that. I don't want any movement of my guitar in the case. I have been doing what TG recommended to you: seat the lower bout first then slid the rest down. If you're keeping your case free of debris then there won't be any problem with scratches - I haven't found any yet.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2013, 07:36:41 PM »
The hinges came off my hard case in less than a year. The little rivets are too small and pull right thru the case.
pics or it didn't happen -
if it was an access-sourced case with a softer, wide-grain black covering i could see that possibly being the case

premature handle failure & inconsistent fit is why Taylor is now making all their hardshell cases in tecate -
i remember GS cases where the guitar body flopped around in there, but it might have been ok for a jumbo

i recase my guitars by gripping the neck around the 12 fret, on a 14 fret model, lowering
the tail block in first & then letting the lower bout, waist & rest of the body/guitar seat -
when i first got a Taylor in a monkey butt deluxe case, one of the guys that saw me case the guitar about had
a conniption because i was pressing on the outer edges of the bridge to seat the guitar to prevent fingerprints ...
still, bothers me to see someone swinging a guitar around gripped just below the headstock & wedging it into a case

a snug fit is better, provided there is adequate headstock space, the neck rest is not jacking the
neck up & the bridge has enough clearance to where it's not crushed up against the inside of the lid
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

rbr49x

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2013, 11:22:12 PM »
Same for my new 514e FLTD.  Very tight  - it goes in but you have to use some of the techniques mentioned above and it's a slow process for an impatient person.
Ron
2014 Taylor 712ce
2022 Taylor AD17e Blacktop/Walnut
2015 Taylor T5z-12 Custom Koa
2021 Taylor 224ce - Koa DLX Special Ed. satin/natural
2013 Taylor 514e FLTD - Euro Spruce/Figured Mahogany
(My son has my GS Mini Mahogany and SolidBody)

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2014, 12:31:43 AM »
i take a few extra seconds when removing or placing a guitar back in it's case,
whether it's one that i have a few thousand dollars invested into or a few hundred -
stories of case lid bites & broken latches are something i'd rather not write about, but life happens

support indie musicians

oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2014, 11:26:08 AM »
I will post pics but it DID happen. I had to bolt the thing back on. The case weighs a ton but the hardware on it is cheap tin and I never trust it.

MikeB

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2014, 01:31:49 PM »
My 310ce case is super tight, too.  I keep a mini clip-on tuner on the end of the headstock, and it just rubs against the top of the case when I put it in, but fits.  However, the case is too small to fit my Taylor suede guitar strap unless I put it onto the end pin first, then drape it across the strings, folding it over near the head stock.  Kind of a pain, but I'm getting used to it.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2014, 02:20:35 PM »
in general, clip on tuners & straps should be removed from the guitar before it is cased -
the tuner may leave a mark on the headstock from the padded clamp material & it is
possible that a strap may react with the finish of certain guitars if draped over the top

the chances of unnecessary scratches or headstock marks/nicks
may be reduced by removing the tuner & strap when not in use

support indie musicians

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2014, 03:25:16 PM »
in general, clip on tuners & straps should be removed from the guitar before it is cased -
the tuner may leave a mark on the headstock from the padded clamp material & it is
possible that a strap may react with the finish of certain guitars if draped over the top

the chances of unnecessary scratches or headstock marks/nicks
may be reduced by removing the tuner & strap when not in use

Minor inconvenience but the truth. I picked up online a clip of sorts that fits into the jack  socket and secures the strap-- frequent on and offs of the straps makes the bottom end prone to falling off.
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

postediting

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2014, 04:48:54 PM »
I live in a big city and I get around by train or taxi or walking.

What's the consensus on the Taylor gig bag (I think they call it a "hard bag")? Should I invest in one of those for taking my guitar around town?

I also get around in the Paris, France metropolitan area by walking + train + subway for a 3hr round-trip commute everyday.

There are 2 different types of Taylor gigbags. 
- I've had one that is for the Baby Taylor (also seems to come with the Big Baby and the 100 series)
- I also have the more sturdier one for the GS mini (also seems to come with the 200 series)

I really like the latter for the GS mini.  It has a big zipper pocket, good backstraps, and the loop to grab it from a vertical position.

However, I also have generic Thomann softcase which was very reasonably priced and it is great for lugging around various guitars. Full zipper pocket along total length of the guitar.  I have one of these in dread format that is the general carry-around case for all the guitar sizes currently in stock, and is pack with all the necessary straps, cables, capos, picks and accessories. As all guitars are in their cases, just need to transfer the necessary guitar over to the softcase and head out to the rehearsal with everything necessary.

Jeff

postediting

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2014, 04:55:40 PM »
Has anyone experienced the (new) Taylor case as a kind of a straight jacket. I did and wondered why. My recent GC models are quite difficult to get into their case. You really have to manoeuvre them in and use pressure too. I find this somewhat strange (even the Taylor guys in Amsterdam looked worried). It certainly was not 'the case' in the past. They should not be too loose, but this...

I have a 2001 GC size SKB case. The 312ce fits in easily.
Also have a 2009 GC with the black deluxe hardshell.  That is snug, but no forcing.
Also have a 2008 DN3 with the black deluxe hardshell. Also snug, but no forcing. use similar technique as mentioned in this thread to start by placing the lower bout and the rest slides in.
Also have an extra brown deluxe hardshell for dread size that I got new at a special sale last year. I use that case for a vintage Takamine dread size guitar. Now, that is a very snug fit and requires pushing down on the bridge pins area to get the guitar in.  I should try putting a few of the other dread size guitars into that case and see if it is a problem for them all.

Jeff

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2014, 05:12:23 PM »
The hinges came off my hard case in less than a year. The little rivets are too small and pull right thru the case.

I have had several Taylor cases, only a couple of them were of the monkey butt style.  The standard Taylor case has always served me well.  They are snug and keep the guitar in a very safe place to sleep.  You might say that they were tight fitting.   The grand kids have never been able the do anything harmful to them yet. ;D  Never have I had a handle come off, buckle break, buckle rip off case, or any problems at all.  I honestly can't imagine what could have tore the rivets out of a case. 

I have had a couple of brand X guitar cases have had problems but that always happened before I got the case.  I did have a Martin OM-28V have a buckle break.  The previous owner told me he tried on a number of times to open the case and had forgetting to unbuckle one of the latches, it broke(after we made a deal) just before he sent the guitar to me. It was a sweet guitar, not so sweet case.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.