Author Topic: Snug Taylor cases  (Read 9423 times)

TaylorMate

• Bard since the Sixties
    • Blogboek
Snug Taylor cases
« on: December 30, 2013, 12:11:48 PM »
Has anyone experienced the (new) Taylor case as a kind of a straight jacket. I did and wondered why. My recent GC models are quite difficult to get into their case. You really have to manoeuvre them in and use pressure too. I find this somewhat strange (even the Taylor guys in Amsterdam looked worried). It certainly was not 'the case' in the past. They should not be too loose, but this...

This is what Taylor (Cajon) answered me when I emailed them.

"I can appreciate your concern, but there is no need to modify the case. The case frames were resized last year because the molds we use to build them had stretched out and we felt the cases were too loose. I suggest putting the guitar in the case at an angle, tail end first and then lowering the neck into place.

A new case will feel a little snug, and that’s ok. The foam will compress with time making it a tad easier."

I wasn't completely happy, because I experience them as more than 'a little snug'.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 01:34:32 PM by karel »
If you dig it, do it; if you dig it a lot, do it twice (Jim Croce)

Lyrics and music: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6gaSzHsXOYq-j_eQH6IwsW_K0S3CHfbk

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
Re: Snug Taylor cases
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 12:14:26 PM »
Yes, the GC case is quite snug.  I usually seat the lower bout, then lower the headstock end until it is fully seated.  No scratches or problems after 2+ years of this
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

MexicoMike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 12:27:25 PM »
The case that came with my GS-5 12 string was too tight in a critical dimension - length.  The case actually touched the head of the guitar when the guitar was in the case.  I travel a fair bit and often take a guitar as checked baggage.  I was not comfortable with the fit of the case, afraid that an impact on the end of the case could fracture the neck/headstock.  So I bought an SKB case for it.  The oem Taylor case for my 414 is perfect fit-wise and it has been on several trips without any concern on my part.

Tarekith

• Luxembourg Mastering Engineer
    • Artist Website
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 12:30:56 PM »
Yes, the GC case is quite snug.  I usually seat the lower bout, then lower the headstock end until it is fully seated.  No scratches or problems after 2+ years of this

Same here.
Erik M.
InnerPortalStudio.com
2013 814ce, All Cosmo Black Hardware.

shorty

• Veteran Member
  • I love guitars way too much!
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 01:40:43 PM »
Have to "rock" mine (Taylor case) as well to put back into the case. FWIW..I have a Martin Performing artist guitar with a  hardcase which is extremely tight..almost ridiculous! but seems to have no ill effect?
2014 Taylor 614ce Florentine/Blackcherryburst
2013 Benedetto Bambino Deluxe
2012Taylor BTO GS Macassar/Redwood
2012 Martin GPCPA4
2011 Taylor Fall Ltd GS Cocobolo
2011 Taylor Fall Ltd GC 12 Fret Koa
2009 Taylor 814ce TSB
2008 Taylor 654ce
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GA Koa
2005 Takamine EAN10ce

Royal Crimson

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 01:50:52 PM »
the case for my new 714ce is (wait for it) really snug.
2013 Taylor 714CE Tobacco Sunburst
2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe II Silverburst
2012 Gibson Les Paul Axcess Alex Lifeson Signature Royal Crimsons
2004 Fender MIM HSS Stratocaster Ebony

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 02:35:50 PM »
Funny, only because an older CustomDN I have seems to have quite the snug fit where I have to push the lower bout "through" the padding, then push the rest of the guitar body to sink it into the case.  It doesn't bug me, but does require a bit of thought when casing it.  By contrast, a 2013 GS I have drops right in ...I almost wish the padding were a tad bit tighter.

Edward

Joseph

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 04:03:25 PM »
I wanted a 2nd case for my 1998 415 jumbo...didn't have enough room in the original case to carry all the stuff I wanted..too shallow. I bought a new case (2012) from a guy on EBay which was made for a 315 jumbo. It was very snug... but I actually loved it that way.
Taylor 358e GO (2018)
Taylor 818e GO (2013 1st Edition)
Taylor GS7 Custom (2009)
Guild F-512 (1979)

oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 07:39:32 PM »
The hinges came off my hard case in less than a year. The little rivets are too small and pull right thru the case.

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 07:46:42 PM »
The hinges came off my hard case in less than a year. The little rivets are too small and pull right thru the case.

Interesting.  I have never seen a Taylor case with a rivet problem.  I have seen broken buckles before, not on any of mine, but I have seen pictures. :o
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 08:02:08 PM »
My first Taylor was purchased in 2012 (814ce) and that case was tight....still is but has loosened some during the year.
The 12 fret GC I had was tighter and the 514e Fltd is even tighter than that.
It is somewhat frustrating whilst going in but once it's in...it feels good. No worries!

stepchildusmc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 08:07:50 PM »
i love the tight fit of my taylors. i know they aren't gonna shake around in there. my cats have knocked a few cases over and nothing happened. i appreciate that. if my Adamas case went over(well if it had a wood guitar in it) i'd be a little nervous opening it afterward.
Steppy
2008 NAMM Hot Rod(GA)
2013 spring ltd. 616 ce
2013 616 ce(honeyburst)
2011 Adamas 2080Sr
2014 324
2014 GS mini Hog
2013 GS mini Spruce
2014 GS mini Engelmann (HV)
only thing lacking is the talent !

jerrytubes

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 10:45:59 PM »
i love the tight fit of my taylors. i know they aren't gonna shake around in there.

Me, too.  Like someone above, I stick the lower bout in, then push the guitar into the case by the bridge to keep from getting fingerprints on the top.  Love the snugness.  It's like closing the door on a Rolls Royce.

bkkpicker

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 01:19:30 AM »
I'm happy with the (very) snug fit of my Taylor hardshell case. My concern is that the darn thing is just too heavy and unwieldy to carry around town. It's ok if you're just taking it to and from the car or checking it at the airport, but I live in a big city and I get around by train or taxi or walking.

What's the consensus on the Taylor gig bag (I think they call it a "hard bag")? Should I invest in one of those for taking my guitar around town? Advice appreciated ...
What I play ...
Bob Dylan
The Band
Neil Young
John Prine

Favorite player: David Bromberg

TaylorMate

• Bard since the Sixties
    • Blogboek
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2013, 04:30:25 AM »
Thank you all for your replies. It is reasuring to know that I am not the only one and that most of you feel comfortable with the snugness. I also developed the habbit of bout first and neck afterwards. And it's true, once the baby is in its cradle it does not shake, rattle or roll... Might be a good lesson now that I will become grandpa in a couple of months.
Happy new year!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 07:57:06 AM by karel »
If you dig it, do it; if you dig it a lot, do it twice (Jim Croce)

Lyrics and music: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6gaSzHsXOYq-j_eQH6IwsW_K0S3CHfbk