Author Topic: GS Mini - Hard to Play ?  (Read 24451 times)

mikeguywest

Re: GS Mini - Hard to Play ?
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2013, 12:06:00 PM »
Every GS Mini I've ever played have been pretty easy to play but the medium strings do make bends a little bit harder. I've often wondered why doesn't it come spec'ed with light gauge strings? Anyone know the answer? Bracing maybe?

I don't think it's due to bracing, as I believe the bracing would be designed first to handle the intended tension of heavier strings. The tech I took my Mini to to get rid of the twang/buzz on the G and B string told me that I might even think of putting on med-heavy strings to alleviate some of the buzz. He told me that the movement of strings lessens as the strings get heavier. So a heavy strummer would notice less buzzing (all other adjustments being proper) as he strummed. With the shorter scale of the Mini and the lower action a heavier strummer will naturally tend to get more buzzing, and more so as the strings get lighter. With the medium strings, as well as the bracing, the player will get more projection.

I would say that for those who are light strummers or fingerstylists that moving to a lighter string would be fine. I changed my 80/20's to PB's which makes them a tad bit heavier. I'm not sure I would want to put baritone strings on this thing (no the luthier did not recommend those).

Paul60

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2013, 10:00:23 PM »
Well,

I have persevered & it is getting easier to play the more I play & get used to it.

I have gone over the guitar with every measurement and it really sits pretty close to Taylor's factory setup specs.

The relief is around .005 to .006 and I may just give the truss rod a tiny turn to bring that down to .004 and see what difference that makes.

The bottom E is a whisker over 3/32 so the relief adjustment may bring that down to 3/32 or a smidgeon lower.

All up, I'd say it's just a case of me getting used to playing an acoustic  :o

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2013, 06:29:19 AM »
That's good to hear Paul. Yeh, maybe a little more time. Be careful, those little guys tend to grow on you.  ;)
Hope you end up keeping and enjoying it.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Paul60

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2013, 06:25:38 PM »
That's good to hear Paul. Yeh, maybe a little more time. Be careful, those little guys tend to grow on you.  ;)
Hope you end up keeping and enjoying it.

Thanks Susie,

Yes, I think it's just years of playing strats with ernie ball super slinkys.

I am amazed at the tone and volume from the mini. I will keeping it for sure.

Now the strat feels strange after hours of playing the mini. I cant win ! ;D

Cheers,

Paul.

Lizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2013, 10:46:55 PM »
This thread helped me too. I've always wondered why I couldn't get into the mini...I'm sure now that it's the string gauge. This is good to know!