Author Topic: GS Mini - Hard to Play ?  (Read 24448 times)

Paul60

GS Mini - Hard to Play ?
« on: December 22, 2013, 05:00:28 AM »
I love my GS Mini (tone wise) but man is it hard to play.

Feels so kinda stiff and is almost unplayable once you start to play above the 7th fret as strings kinda choke and are hard to press down & whilst other strings stand proud when making chords & bar chords.

The action doesn't feel that high to me, factory specs or slightly below. 5/64th's at the low E 12th Fret and 4/64th High e 12th Fret.

But she plays very 'toy like'.

Maybe it needs a decent setup and lighter strings but then it may lose the 'tone' I love.

Anyone else find these mini guitars hard to play ?

Paul60

Re: GS Mini - Hard to Play ?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 05:08:16 AM »
Looks like I'll have to be content just playing cowboy chords in the first position.

She is not much use for any other style of playing or any adventures up the neck. :(

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 05:58:32 AM »
Mine is very easy to play. I got mine from my local store which sets up all their instruments prior to sale. So, it would have been checked and adjusted if need be. If it's that hard to play, I would have a reputable shop check it out. There's more to a setup than action. Just my $.02.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Paul60

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 06:33:03 AM »
Yeah, I'll take it in after Christmas is over.

Although I'm starting to think this short scale stuff aint for me.

Actually, after years of playing strats (with very low action), I'm starting to wonder if acoustics are even my cup of tea.

Love the sweet tones. Hate the playability.

Paul60

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 06:48:02 AM »
Funny,

Every review raved about the GS Mini & playability.

"Plays like butter", like an 'Electric'. Like a 'Taylor'.

Well sadly, I don't see it in this little box. Just a very highly strung, hard to play 'toy' guitar.

All good as long as you don't attempt to play above the 5th fret.

Might skip the setup & try and get a refund.

Sad though as I must admit... She sounds pretty awesome. :(
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 06:53:27 AM by Paul60 »

holmesrt

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 07:39:01 AM »
I have to agree. I purchased my GS Mini due to the reviews saying it played so easy. (like butter, not true). I tried several action adjustments, and several sets of different types of strings. Found that some of the very light strings made it sound tinny . I have finally settled on Elixer Polyweb light, strings rather than the nano mediums that it came with. They seem to sound ok and give it slightly better playability. Still not real happy with the hype compared to the reality. 
Rick
Taylor 614ce
Taylor GS Mini
Seagull Entourage

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 10:20:28 AM »
to me, the mini sounds great & plays well, but i'm looking at changing the strings once the factory exilirs have given the ghost -
for me, EXP19s with light gauge G, B & e allow easier fretting & barre chords can be made with less effort, without loss of low end
the 23.5" scale is not ideal for everyone & playing up the neck, there is noticeably less space than a longer scale guitar

when sitting, holding the guitar in more of a classical position with the lower bout resting on the left knee, provided one right handed
will shift the position of the upper frets & the angle of the neck, possibly making it more comfortable when accessing the higher registers

if the mini still feels awkward or uncomfortable, the big baby is a 15/16 dreadnought with 25.5" scale & 4 1/8" body depth -
it is closer in feel to a full size OM or grand concert guitar & comes set up from the factory with light gauge strings

when i compared a big baby to the mini, to me the bb had more overall projection & the balance of the guitar made the body
feel lighter, but i hear more finesse in the gs mini & the full NT neck, more conventional style rosette, purfling & hardbag for
hardly any more $ decided which choice i made, but in the back of my mind, part of me sometimes wishes i had gotten the BB
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

azslacker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 03:13:53 PM »
  Funny,,,, my mini is so easy to play. Had a good set-up done.  I play open tunings with med strings. I play up to and beyond 12 all the time.
2016 322e 12 Fret
2011 312ce
2012 GS-Mini hog 
1983 Washburn D 12S
Yamaha Classical
Ukulele's out the ying yang.
2014 Larivée PO-3 Koa

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 05:41:14 PM »
I'm thinking it's the guitar, not the hype.  I tried several GSminis before finding the one I liked.  I've had several different sets of strings, and with each change, the "feel" changes.  I've put Elixir mediums, d'Addario, Martin, DR, and back to Elixir again.

My 814 and T5 "play like buttah"... the Mini has always been different, but still enjoyable to play.  I notice the smaller scale, but I really like the light weight and the sound.  I've played out more often with the Mini... sometimes circumstance (traveling and you use what you have) and sometimes choice.

I thought I might sell the Mini after acquiring a Rainsong Shorty (carbon fiber) this summer.  Nope.  No hype - it's just a fine smaller guitar.  Different; definitely feels different from a full scale, but not bad different... just not the same.

Hope you're able to work it out.

Captain Jim

2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Paul60

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 06:08:05 PM »
I'm really trying to like it.

My tech will be back on deck after christmas so I might just take it in and get his thoughts on action/string choice etc.

Maybe the Big Baby or a Taylor 114 might suit me better.

I think a 114 is almost the same guitar but full size ?

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 07:44:10 PM »
I'm really trying to like it.

My tech will be back on deck after christmas so I might just take it in and get his thoughts on action/string choice etc.

Maybe the Big Baby or a Taylor 114 might suit me better.

I think a 114 is almost the same guitar but full size ?

I had a 114ce - it is considerably larger than the GSmini, 25 1/2" scale vs 23 1/2"; larger body.  The Mini is a great couch guitar.  Don't get me wrong, I really liked the 114... 1 11/16" nut width, otherwise, the same size as my 814ce.

You can check out the specs on the Taylor site to get an idea of the differences.

Only you can decide which size and feel is best for you.  Good luck with the process.

Best wishes,
Jim
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Paul60

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 08:15:30 PM »
Thanks Jim,

I'm off to try a 114 as soon as I'm able. I think it's pretty much a full size GS Mini body wise ?

Meanwhile, the GS Mini will go in for a setup mid january as the local tech is going on hols.

He charges around $XXX with strings (ouch) !

Reckons he can get almost anything playing nicely and if the saddle needs lowering he will just replace it with a custom sized/shaped bone one.

so I'm hopeful. :)

Cheers,

Paul

edited for $
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 11:34:19 AM by UTGF-Team »

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 08:58:41 PM »
Good luck Paul....be sure to let us know how things work out for you.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Paul60

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 09:32:00 PM »
Thanks Susie,

I've never used this tech before but the local guitar store speaks highly of him.

Just hope the tone doesn't suffer too much from tweaking the action/strings.

I'll let you know how it goes. Have to wait till mid January though ! :(

Cheers,
Paul:)

Lizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 10:46:46 PM »
Geeze, $XXX for a set up? There is an excellent luthier in my area that only charges $XX. A good set up is crucial to me and really determines how much I like a guitar. My 114 and 714 didn't require any tweaking other than  a small  truss rod adjustment, but my 214 Koa needed a good set up. I think the 100's and the 200's are very player friendly guitars.
I too can't love the Mini. I have played several and tried to want one,  but there is just something that doesn't click with me and that guitar. They undoubtedly sound great, but I just don't like playing it.

edited for $
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 11:35:01 AM by UTGF-Team »