Author Topic: First Taylor.... Sorta  (Read 2449 times)

Blueshwk

First Taylor.... Sorta
« on: November 24, 2013, 04:20:57 PM »
So I decided to sell a Tele I have owned for 25 years and listed on CL Friday. That evening a guy started emailing me. Long story short, he had a 2000 model 310CE that he wanted to trade. I told him I just couldn't do so straight up and thanked him for responding.

Saturday morning he emailed and asked for directions to my house and a few hours later he showed up at my door with his Taylor a Crate amp and a sparkle in his eye for the Telecaster. This kid was maybe 20 years old and drove 150 miles one way to see the Tele so I ended up sending him home with my Telecaster. I just couldn't tell him no.
So athough I do have an RT Style 1, I officially own my first Taylor guitar as of yesterday afternoon.

Just felt the need to share the experience!

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: First Taylor.... Sorta
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 07:50:44 PM »
Congrats.....what do you think of it? If he feels good about the exchange and so do you, then it was a good day. The 300 series are nice Taylors.....I used to have a 355 that was a wonderful guitar. I sold it only because as a fingerstyle player, the 12 string wasn't getting much playing time. With your RT Style 1, I would consider this your second Taylor. Have fun with your new guitar.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Blueshwk

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 09:03:40 PM »
The strings are shot and the action is a bit high but it sounds nice and is in excellent condition. Will be taking it in for a  tune up this week. Looking forward to playing it. The 310 seems to be a good around the campfire front porch kind of guitar. Won't tend to worry so much about the little bumps and bruises but will still be playing a nice little guitar. I am sure I will enjoy it very much.

Also it felt good giving the kid a break on the Tele. He got the better deal dollar wise but sometimes the better deal is seeing the look in the boys eye when he walks away with his new guitar. It is tough for most kids to come up with guitar bucks. No way was I going to send him home without it!

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 10:18:04 PM »
What goes around comes around.  You never know what might come around the next corner in life.  Good going Blueshwk.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

pjroberts

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 12:15:02 AM »
What goes around comes around.  You never know what might come around the next corner in life.  Good going Blueshwk.

It is a great (warm) story. And, you're the star! Can't beat that, would love to have seen that kid's face.
pj roberts | austin
Taylor 814ce [2015]  |  GS Mini Holden Valley
Others: SCGC, Martin, Collings, Halcyon & Goodall

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 05:55:22 AM »
Nice job......you did a good thing.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 10:56:56 AM »
So the "kid" took a gamble and drove all that way for what could have been a waste for him ...gotta love the persistance!  If he ever makes it big, you're part of his story ...lol!!  :)
Seriously, good for you for spreading the love, man!  Your kindness is a true testament of your core generosity!  :)

Edward

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 11:01:49 AM »
Paying forward is good for karma. Nice thing to do. Good on ya!
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

Blueshwk

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 03:22:36 PM »
So the "kid" took a gamble and drove all that way for what could have been a waste for him ...gotta love the persistance!  If he ever makes it big, you're part of his story ...lol!!  :)
Seriously, good for you for spreading the love, man!  Your kindness is a true testament of your core generosity!  :)

Edward
I did call him to make sure he got back home okay which he did. Was playing the Fender when I called. Took the 310 to local Taylor guys today. They are going to set it up for me and put on some Elixir's. Told me I would have it back in a couple of days. How's that for service and this being the week of Thanksgiving. Sort of surprised me.
Nothing wrong with giving a kid a break but I learned long ago never to give too much of one. I gave my nephew a Gibson Melody Maker several years ago. He had aspirations and there desire to play. Pretty little red guitar and a hot rod of a Melody Maker. Asked him about lit several months later. He said he sold it.... boy was I pee'd off! But what do you say... Live and learn. What's good for the goose isn't necessarily good for the post pubescent ungrateful snotty nosed little gander....Just kidding of course. He turned into a fine, albeit tone-deaf, young man!

oatordeal

• Veteran Member
  • Manila, Philippines
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 10:27:37 PM »
That's a really heartfelt story. I can still remember when I first had my Tele. This is the first thing I purchased ever since I started working. It was so satisfying and the 'sparkle' was definitely there!
Best regards,
Nims

814ce 2012
GS Mini Hog 2015
'52ri Fender Telecaster 2007

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 01:10:23 AM »
 Congrats on your 310ce. Great story. He's probably still playing the Tele. 8)
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"