Author Topic: Martin 12-string jumbo only $XXXX new?! - a great companion for my Taylor 818?  (Read 1134 times)

Have you guys seen this? It's a 17" jumbo mahogany 12-string Martin.

It's on the Guitar Center website for $X,XXX bucks!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin-G...99-i3225378.gc

If they do the XX% off sale that they often have, it's only $XXXX !!!

I'll have to order one....if my local GC had one in stock I'd buy it today......

GAS strikes again.........I can hear my Taylor 818 whispering to me..."get the Martin, too!"

edited for price
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 12:32:21 PM by UTGF-Team »
I've only heard two guys play jazz on a Les Paul....me, and some guy named "Les Paul"

MexicoMike

• Veteran Member
about 6 months ago I did an extensive, in-store search, for a good-sounding 12 string for gigging. There was absolutely no brand-influence at all.  But sound-wise that Martin fell out of the running before I hardly got started. I played one chord and handed it back.  To shorten this post, it came down to a Martin D12-28 or a Taylor GS-5.  I spent nearly two days playing 12's and a total of several hours between those two trying to decide.  Frankly, I preferred whichever one I was playing.  What made the final choice for me was when the sales rep played both so I could hear them as a LISTENER, rather than a player.  I found the Taylor to have a tiny edge to my ear.  It seemed to have a slightly better sound balance than the 12-28. 

I have owned/played 12s for many years and have owned (not in this order): Seagulls (best sound for the money) Guilds (worst sound for the money), Ovations (blah all the way around), an old FG Yamaha (my first 12 - sounded great but finally ended up needing a neck reset and it wasn't worth it to me at the time.

IMO, the Martin 12 you are considering will be a disappointment.  If you have no 12 string experience I REALLY recommend you go play some of them before spending any money.  OTOH, if you have no 12 string experience, I suppose any of them will be "different" enough to be interesting, at least for a while.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 12:33:12 PM by UTGF-Team »

MexicoMike,

That's good advice...actually over the years I have owned a D12-28, a Guild maple jumbo 12, and a fantastic hand made Paul Berger 12-fret 12-string.

What attracts me to THIS Martin is the size....and GC's 30 day return policy!  ;D

Maybe Taylor will make a Grand Orchestra 12-string.....(standard, not BTO)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 12:33:26 PM by UTGF-Team »
I've only heard two guys play jazz on a Les Paul....me, and some guy named "Les Paul"

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
See if you can get your hands on an overseas-made Breedlove 12-string.  Half the cost of the Martin and better sounding than Taylor 355's I've tried.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 12:33:44 PM by UTGF-Team »
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge