Author Topic: T5 opinions  (Read 7953 times)

methos1979

Re: T5 opinions
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 09:01:27 PM »
Jeffery - I don't think you have to worry about trading in your T5, it's not for everyone. I'm in the same boat and looking to trade it with someone online so I don't take a beating selling it off or trading it to a dealer. How did LA Guitars treat you on the trade? I was just on their site tonight checking out their very large inventory.

Jeffrey

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 10:41:52 PM »
LA Guitars was fair and easy to deal with.  I got very close to what I would have sold the guitar for without having to go through the hassle of a private sale.  On top of that Ted gave me a good price on the Martin OMCPA1 I wanted.  He will make money on my T5, it's very clean as you can see by the pics on his website.  But you know, he is a businessman who needs to make a profit and I have no problem with that.  Bottom line is we both did okay and that's the way it ought to be. 

I think at the end of the day I loved the guitar but I didn't love playing the guitar.  Does that make any sense at all?????

NGD tomorrow!!!!

Cheers.
Taylor 612ce
Taylor T5 Custom Koa
Baby Taylor w/Fishman
Martin OMJM
Breedlove Focus SE
YairiWY1
Ovation 1984 Collectors
Takamine New Yorker
Godin A6 Ultra Koa
Gibson 339
'68 Telecaster

R1balla

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 12:52:36 AM »
I'll trade mine for a t3 though!
2011 T5 Custom
2003 312CE Fall LE
2002 Baby Taylor
Vox AC15VR
2004 G&L Comanche Sienna Burst

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2014, 03:42:31 PM »
I find that I'm primarily an acoustic player.  And while I really like the concept of versatility that is the T5, and they are extremely easy to play (even the 12-string version is very comfortable), I mainly bought my T5's for the ability to switch over to a pseudo-electric guitar whenever it was suitable for the song I wanted to play.  But like several others have stated within this thread, I find its acoustic guitar characteristics somewhat lacking; more so with the 6-string version.  Incidentally, I'm playing mine through a Fishman Loudbox Mini (acoustic setting) and a VOX AC15C1 (electric setting); I've only fiddled with the tone settings on the Fishman, boosting the bass and treble a bit to balance the sound better at the volume level I use.

So, while my T5 sounds fine for the most part, it just doesn't sound quite like an acoustic guitar when I'm in the acoustic setting; I've got no problem with the electric pick-ups, at least not for what I tend to play on it using that setting.  I also find myself thinking it's out of tune when I'm strumming it acoustically -- particularly an 'F' chord; but when I check it, my tuner generally shows it's fine.  The T5 just sounds a bit off acoustically to me when compared to a true acoustic guitar.  I may explore some of the pre-amp suggestions in this thread...

One thing that I think that I may do to 'warp' the sound is to press too hard (and perhaps a bit unevenly) on the strings; I have to learn to use a lighter touch with the T5; but as I said, I'm more used to a true acoustic guitar.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

R1balla

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 11:08:28 AM »
well, i recently traded mine (plus received cash) for a G&L Comanche (American). Now i play my 312 on songs that require an acoustic and let the comanche and my pedal board do the rest. i couldnt be happier.
2011 T5 Custom
2003 312CE Fall LE
2002 Baby Taylor
Vox AC15VR

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 11:22:16 AM »
My previous post in this thread got me to thinking a bit more about how I play the T5.  So I pulled my 12-string T5 out last night and I think I may have worked out why mine were sounding 'off' to me:  I don't think I was applying even pressure to all of the strings, particularly the two treble strings ('B' and high 'E').  I'd altered my playing style a bit in an effort to use lighter pressure on the strings, and as a result, I was inadvertently playing those strings differently than I do on my full-on acoustics. I'm probably stating the obvious, but it seems that the T5, with the lighter string tensions, is a bit more sensitive to that kind of thing.  When I went back to the pressure that I'm used to applying on the strings, muscle memory took over and it started sounding 'right' to me again.

I guess I should just stick with what works, I guess...
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

JSeth

• ...make a joyous noise!
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2014, 01:00:43 AM »
Hello everyone!
Been a while since I've poked my6 nose into this site... but I have a questiona bout my T5 and I was hoping someone might actually KNOW the answer!

Now, I know that Taylor always recommended the TRS>XLR cable for their ES equipped guitars; although I don't own a Taylor acoustic, I have been a STRONG proponent of people using that cable BEFORE they rip out their ES in frustration!

I have had my T5 since 2006 or so... I think it may be the most misunderstood guitar in history, but that's another topic! My question is:

Does using a TRS>XLR cable with the T5 give similar results as with the acoustic ES systems? I guess I always thought that it would, but, before I shell out the $$ for the cable, I figured I'd find out for certain...

So, anyone know the answer to this?

Thanks, in advance, for any help...

play on.................................................>

John Seth Sherman

R1balla

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 10:01:32 AM »
quality cables will run you around that same price range. Ive never used it before but it looks good. sorry i cant help more
2011 T5 Custom
2003 312CE Fall LE
2002 Baby Taylor
Vox AC15VR

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2014, 07:14:49 PM »
The T5 has a balanced output like the ES, so you will derive the same benefit if you have a balanced signal chain to the board.  If you are plugging your T5 into a regular guitar pedal board or unbalanced effects system, you'll want to use an impedance transformer to change your signal from a low impedance balanced output to a high impedance unbalanced signal to match the rest of your signal chain.  The advantage to doing this rather than using a regular 1/4" TS cable (regular guitar cable) is the balanced cable-> transformer will present a hotter output signal to your signal chain.  If you are not concerned with signal levels and your cable run from guitar to pedal board or DI is under 20 ft., go ahead and use the unbalanced cable.  You'll be fine.

Here's a link to the transformer...:

‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2014, 07:25:03 PM »
I like my T5 tho I don't play it much.  I run it thru a Genz Benz Shenandoah acoustic amp and whichever electric amp is around.