Author Topic: T5 opinions  (Read 7955 times)

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
T5 opinions
« on: November 13, 2013, 04:37:40 PM »
Some time ago I finally discovered Taylor acoustic guitars, and like many of you, I am now hooked.
I now own 2 beautiful Taylor acoustic guitars and am eyeing a third.
Then I stumbled across the T5. I had never given this one ANY attention until today.
Now that I've watched some videos on YouTube and read some reviews, I thought I'd ask you guys about them.
What do you think of them? I am assuming that they are very high quality instruments?
How are you using them? How do they play? Etc etc etc...I think I feel some GAS coming on.    :o

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
Re: T5 opinions
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 06:31:15 PM »
I am a fan of the T5.  It is a very versatile electric that does kinda sound like an acoustic.   ;)  Run through an acoustic amp (or straight to the PA) AND through an electric amp, via an A/B/Y pedal, you can get an amazing array of sounds.  It is the first electric guitar to compete with my ES335 that I've had for 47 years.  It isn't a Strat or a Les Paul, it has its own unique voice.  I like it!

Jim
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

PHILLIP

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 08:54:15 AM »
I have a t5..and like many other forums I have read on the internet,I feel the electronics in it do not do it justice.
They are made wonderfully and play awesome.But they don't have a great acoustic or electric sound.
I ende up gutting the Taylor electronics and putting in the same electronics that are in the TOM ANDERSON crowdster.and wow.very amazing guitar..killer electric sound,killer acoustic sounds..and plays like a dream.

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 10:56:08 AM »
I am a fan of the T5.  It is a very versatile electric that does kinda sound like an acoustic.   ;)  Run through an acoustic amp (or straight to the PA) AND through an electric amp, via an A/B/Y pedal, you can get an amazing array of sounds.  It is the first electric guitar to compete with my ES335 that I've had for 47 years.  It isn't a Strat or a Les Paul, it has its own unique voice.  I like it!

Jim

Jim - I see in your signature that you have a Bose L1 Compact....how does the T5 sound thru the Bose? Do you run it thru a T1 mixer or do you have other processing between the T5 and the Bose? Or perhaps you go straight into the Bose?
Thank you for sharing your thoughts...

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 06:47:19 PM »
Hi MB,

I don't have a T1 mixer for the Bose.  I have run the T5 direct to the Bose; sounds decent.  I actually prefer the sound when run through the Roland Street amp (for the modeling), then into the Bose; or with the A/B/Y pedal, using the Bose and the Roland.  When you run a line out with the Roland, it cuts the sound from the amp.

Since I am not gigging with a band these days, I got rid of the Fender Twin Reverb I used for many years - the T5 sounded great through that and a direct line into the Bose with the switching pedal.

If you haven't tried a T5, it is a guitar that really should be played (and through the kind of amp you will be using) to be appreciated.  It plays sweet.  You can get anything from a mellow acoustic(ish) sound to a jazzy clean sound to a real growl, depending on your settings and choice of amp.

To date, I haven't played out with the T5 because I do solo acoustic stuff.  I have downsized equipment; my back appreciates the lighter amps.  My ears appreciate being able to hear what the audience hears with the Bose.  No monitor necessary.  No ringing ears.  If I were to go back to a band situation (not likely with our mobile lifestyle), the T5 would be my main guitar.  As it is, it is fun to play... and has a great sound!

Best thing would be to try one.  For this old 335 player (long before I discovered the joy of playing Taylors), the T5 is impressive.

Best wishes,
Jim
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 10:20:48 AM »
Jim thank you for sharing your set up! Maybe one day I'll get a T5 for recording. I am no longer playing in a band either....but I do have an acoustic duo that is so fun! We use a Bose L1 1S thru a T1 and my 814 sounds fantastic thru it! I still have a ton of electrics that never get played anymore so I'm thinking of thinning out the herd. I just ordered a 514e FLTD so the Taylor bug has obviously bitten me hard.
I think I am also going to sell the 12 fret GC Macassar/Cedar SLTD Taylor as it just doesn't fit my needs and I can't justify having another expensive guitar sitting around that I don't play much.

Good Luck and thanks again!
MB

methos1979

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 09:48:47 PM »
I love my T5. I found a very limited edition back in January and it's been my go-to guitar since. I use it for an acoustic duo gig I do with my wife. I play it through a Zoom A2.1u modeling/effects pedal and into a Genz Benz Shenandoah acoustic amp for most gigs, or straight into a PA (open mics) or into my little Fishman LoudBox Mini for small venues. It sounds great through anything. I use switch position 2 almost exclusively.

They only made 12 of this model - all Koa (front, sides and back) blackwood neck, ebony fb, rosewood binding, edgeburst finish, island vine inlay - sounds as good as it looks!

« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 09:50:19 PM by methos1979 »

jivauk

• Sadly Jimmy lost his fight with cancer 3 Nov 2015
    • singer/songwriter duo, a gentle blend of acoustic instruments and vocal harmony
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 04:42:27 AM »
That is indeed a beaut!
Val
www.jiva.co.uk

Guitars: Taylor, Yamaha, Eko
Ukuleles: Kala
Sound System: Bose, AER

R1balla

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 12:53:34 AM »
I had trouble getting a true acoustic tone at first running through a PA system....until I bought a pre amp. Makes a huge difference. I have to play with it because at church I play both acoustic and electric. I get compliments on my sound from random people at church all the time.

$
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 01:08:01 AM by UTGF-Team »
2011 T5 Custom
2003 312CE Fall LE
2002 Baby Taylor
Vox AC15VR
2004 G&L Comanche Sienna Burst

R1balla

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 01:29:36 AM »
also, i have found playing on 12s or 11s with a wounded 3rd helps with the acoustic tone
2011 T5 Custom
2003 312CE Fall LE
2002 Baby Taylor
Vox AC15VR

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 09:49:35 AM »
Methos1979, I have a cherry burst T5 that I am very fond of, but yours has to be the most striking example I have seen!  I generally don't care for the bling on the fretboard, but that island vine is perfect with the koa!  Gorgeous!

We are away from home, up in the frozen northland (seriously, it was -10ยบ when we got back to the motel last night)  right now.  I must give my T5 a hug and some extra playing time when we get back.

Captain Jim

2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

R1balla

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 01:53:07 PM »
OP, i have a T5 and just ordered a Vox amp. Once the amp arrives, I will be doing a full demo review on the amp but you will be able to see me play on all of the pickups on the T5 and how they sound on the amp. Position 1 (acoustic/body sensor) I will probably ignore because I use that through the PA system but stay tuned for the video!
2011 T5 Custom
2003 312CE Fall LE
2002 Baby Taylor
Vox AC15VR

methos1979

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 12:08:58 PM »
I also had a hard time getting a good acoustic tone out of the T5 straight into an acoustic amp or PA. It is, after all, really an electric guitar. I think people that buy it hoping it will sound like an acoustic as-is find this generally to be true.

I picked up a Zoom A2.1u acoustic modeling/effects pedal for very small money in like-new condition and I am able to get a very convincing acoustic tone out of the T5 now. Certainly not as good as a real, full-blown acoustic, but not bad. That pedal is really nice, it has a whole bunch of effects and parameters that can be used although it does take a little time tearing into the manual. Like many of these pedals that do so much, there's a learning curve but I didn't find this one too bad at all. But then again I'm also a techy kind of guy who actually likes reading manuals. (I know, weird, right?)

Another thing I started doing after reading many posts hear and elsewhere was using the heavier gauge Elixrs. That helped with a better tone and also tamed that G string because it's wound. It took a little getting used to after playing the 11's for so long. At first it felt like I'd put freaking clothesline on the darn guitar. Now, I don't even notice it.

As for the fret board inlay, I was of the same opinion. Generally speaking I prefer minimal fret markers, either a single marker of some kind at the 12th fret or better yet, nothing at all. What I really hate is inlays that traverse the whole fret board so at first I was not digging the island vine inlay. But although it does just that, the island vine inlay just seems to work with this guitar and the whole dark vibe. It grew on me and then the whole guitar started to haunt me until I had to buy it.

It was an online purchase (Wildwood - great guys). I finally called them up just to chat and ask questions about the guitar. When I heard it was one of only 12 made, I was all done!

All that being said, I am about to trade it off! I know, I know, it's so beautiful and SO rare. But I'm only doing an acoustic duo these days with my wife and I have a chance to trade it for an incredible Northwood full acoustic in Brazilian Rosewood with an Adirondack top. And since it's a trade neither of us will take a beating on the value. In fact, I'm even coming out a little bit ahead on the deal. So we'll see. It's not a done deal yet but looking really good.

If I played other styles this guitar would be a keeper. But I'm not a collector and also not wealthy, so when a new, expensive guitar comes, an expensive one has to go!

« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 12:34:25 PM by UTGF-Team »

R1balla

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 12:23:31 PM »
^^

if you are still having a hard time getting a good acoustic tone, try getting a pre amp. I use trh ART Tube MP Studio Mic Pre Amp. Still new to the forum so learning how much i can tell you. I know i cant say price but it is very cheap. I run it on both ends of my ABY box (acoustic and electric) and it fixed all of my acoustic issues without throwing out alot of cash. i have the input and output set at 12 o'clock. something to look into at least.
2011 T5 Custom
2003 312CE Fall LE
2002 Baby Taylor
Vox AC15VR

Jeffrey

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 12:24:09 PM »
I bought a custom koa T5 C2 when they first came out and was blown away by the craftsmanship and uniqueness of the instrument.  That being said, a week ago I sent it to LA Guitars in a trade for an acoustic. Tonally this guitar never hit the sweet spot for me though it is such a beautifully made instrument. It didn't sound acoustic enough and I got a better electric tone with my Gibson 339 semi-hollow body.

I was looking at it hanging on my wall over the holidays and realized I hadn't gigged with it in a couple of years. In fact, I hadn't even taken it down to noodle with.

Here's the link to the guitar as it's listed at LA Guitars.  You can see, it is a work of art.  Kind of sad to let it go but have a new Martin OMCPA1 coming to take its place and I know it'll be a workhorse for me, not a showhorse.

Everyone is different, however, and those professing great love for them on this forum have lots to base that on. Not bashing them at all.
http://laguitarsales.com/pages/5171/Taylor_T5C2_07.htm
Taylor 612ce
Taylor T5 Custom Koa
Baby Taylor w/Fishman
Martin OMJM
Breedlove Focus SE
YairiWY1
Ovation 1984 Collectors
Takamine New Yorker
Godin A6 Ultra Koa
Gibson 339
'68 Telecaster