Author Topic: need dealer recommendation for a BTO  (Read 38945 times)

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales

• Veteran Member
    • LA Guitar Sales
Re: need dealer recommendation for a BTO
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 12:42:42 PM »
i have something in my mind i want to run thru a dealer and see what it might cost-it correlates with my other post about the 2 1/4" saddle string spacing.

I want:

GA size, sitka top/EIR, no cutaway, no ES, rosewood binding with blk/white/blk purfling, heavy stripe ebony fretboard/bridge/headstock veneer, 1 7/8" nut width, 2 1/4" saddle string spacing(or 2 3/16" if thats all they will do), standard carve profile, probably standard scale-although shortscale is being considered as well. no fretboard inlay-side dots only.  maybe gotoh 510's

with GuitarRodeo out of the picture, i need to find someone who knows the ins and outs of the BTO program.
i only want referrals from a dealer you have used-not simply heard about.

i know of LA Guitars-looking for other recommendations also please.

anyone use Tobias for a BTO?
anyone use Fullers or Wilcutt?
how about Sweetwater?

thanks
d

Hi Daryl,

Looking at your specs I think pretty much any dealer including Guitar Center could handle ordering this BTO for you. Currently Taylor has over 500 independent dealers as well as 300 box stores so you have many options. I will tell you that as a rule Taylor will not photograph East Indian Rosewood or Sitka even if you decide to "step up" to AA grade, but have no fear, their wood sets are quite consistent.

BTW, LA Guitars is a luthier in the UK, as far as I know they don't sell Taylor.

Ted

darylcrisp

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 07:02:58 PM »
i have something in my mind i want to run thru a dealer and see what it might cost-it correlates with my other post about the 2 1/4" saddle string spacing.

I want:

GA size, sitka top/EIR, no cutaway, no ES, rosewood binding with blk/white/blk purfling, heavy stripe ebony fretboard/bridge/headstock veneer, 1 7/8" nut width, 2 1/4" saddle string spacing(or 2 3/16" if thats all they will do), standard carve profile, probably standard scale-although shortscale is being considered as well. no fretboard inlay-side dots only.  maybe gotoh 510's

with GuitarRodeo out of the picture, i need to find someone who knows the ins and outs of the BTO program.
i only want referrals from a dealer you have used-not simply heard about.

i know of LA Guitars-looking for other recommendations also please.

anyone use Tobias for a BTO?
anyone use Fullers or Wilcutt?
how about Sweetwater?

thanks
d

Hi Daryl,

Looking at your specs I think pretty much any dealer including Guitar Center could handle ordering this BTO for you. Currently Taylor has over 500 independent dealers as well as 300 box stores so you have many options. I will tell you that as a rule Taylor will not photograph East Indian Rosewood or Sitka even if you decide to "step up" to AA grade, but have no fear, their wood sets are quite consistent.

BTW, LA Guitars is a luthier in the UK, as far as I know they don't sell Taylor.

Ted

Thanks for that info Ted.
quick question for you-did the DDSM(the high dollar version) have 2 1/4" string spacing at the saddle?
for some reason i'm thinking it did, but i could be wrong.  and the last BTO sheets i remember seeing from a few years ago only offered 2 3/16" saddle string spacing-is that correct or are there other spacings offered now( 2 1/4")?

thank you
d

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales

• Veteran Member
    • LA Guitar Sales
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2013, 07:36:40 PM »
As far as I know all steel string Taylors have 2-3/16" saddle spacing including the DDSM which was basically an 814ce. I don't think there is a 2-1/4" option but I will check.