Author Topic: need dealer recommendation for a BTO  (Read 38944 times)

darylcrisp

need dealer recommendation for a BTO
« on: November 08, 2013, 05:37:03 PM »
i have something in my mind i want to run thru a dealer and see what it might cost-it correlates with my other post about the 2 1/4" saddle string spacing.

I want:

GA size, sitka top/EIR, no cutaway, no ES, rosewood binding with blk/white/blk purfling, heavy stripe ebony fretboard/bridge/headstock veneer, 1 7/8" nut width, 2 1/4" saddle string spacing(or 2 3/16" if thats all they will do), standard carve profile, probably standard scale-although shortscale is being considered as well. no fretboard inlay-side dots only.  maybe gotoh 510's

with GuitarRodeo out of the picture, i need to find someone who knows the ins and outs of the BTO program.
i only want referrals from a dealer you have used-not simply heard about.

i know of LA Guitars-looking for other recommendations also please.

anyone use Tobias for a BTO?
anyone use Fullers or Wilcutt?
how about Sweetwater?

thanks
d
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 06:29:46 PM by darylcrisp »

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
Re: need dealer recommendation for a BTO
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 05:50:21 PM »
I think your best option is L.A. Guitar Sales.  They've really got the whole process down pat, and since they're so close to the factory, they often can hand-select wood.  I got my BTO through them and couldn't be happier.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

stepchildusmc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 06:07:33 PM »
i would second the LA guitars suggestion. i haven't dealt with Ted(yet) but i hear nothing but good things and his input on a lot of threads is always insightful leading me believe that he knows what it's about.
Steppy
2008 NAMM Hot Rod(GA)
2013 spring ltd. 616 ce
2013 616 ce(honeyburst)
2011 Adamas 2080Sr
2014 324
2014 GS mini Hog
2013 GS mini Spruce
2014 GS mini Engelmann (HV)
only thing lacking is the talent !

darylcrisp

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 06:24:17 PM »
and a dealer  can typically have taylor send out pictures of wood selection to the customer-correct?
d
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 06:28:07 PM by darylcrisp »

mikeguywest

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 06:57:52 PM »
You might also want to check out Buffalo Brothers in Carlsbad.

http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/

randymalone

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 07:25:54 PM »
While there are a lot of great dealers, my only personal experience (which is what the OP asked for) has been with Tobias Music and Dave's Guitars.  I think Tobias is great to work with and also has a special relationship with Taylor, and my purchasing experience with them has been great.  The people at Dave's are also top notch.  Not a dig on any other dealer, of course. 

PureTone

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 07:53:47 PM »
Maybe this part needs to be in BOLD RED print, as it seems it's being overlooked.
... i only want referrals from a dealer you have used-not simply heard about.

i know of LA Guitars-looking for other recommendations also please...
Wildwood Music in Coshocton.
http://www.wildwoodmusic.com/taylor-guitars.html?locale=en_US&wppa-album=45&wppa-cover=0&wppa-occur=1
The $ range of the BTO you're looking at is within what they sell the most of (rather than the PS range ones).  Don and Marty are great folks to deal with.
You might also want to check out Buffalo Brothers in Carlsbad.

http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/
http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/acoustic-guitars/flattop-guitars/taylor-guitars
With 11 Taylors in stock ( 2 of them used), I doubt that the current staff has very much BTO experience.

I wouldn't expect to get pictures for a no upcharge EIRW set (or a nearly no upcharge AA Rosewood set) or fretboard/bridge (unless they were Macassar Ebony). If it were figured Rosewood (if they have it), Macassar Ebony, Cocobolo, or AA Koa, with figured wood binding, a request for pictures wouldn't be an unreasonable request.
BTW, have you considered LA ....
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 11:53:54 PM by PureTone »

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 11:31:24 PM »
Dave's Guitars - LaCrosse WI -- Have bought a couple from Dave's shop.  Top shelf organization
Tobias Music - Downers Grove IL -- Have not done business with them, but their reputation is great.
Wildwood Guitars - Louisville CO -- Have worked with Steve Mesple and his team a couple times over the years, including a killer Cocobolo/Engelmann GS.  Couldn't recommend higher
Buffalo Bros. - Carlsbad CA -- Under new ownership and definitely worth talking to about your needs.
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

Drock2k1

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 10:54:16 AM »
If I were going to do BTO...which I hope to again soon (come on Engelmann) I would start with Ted at LA  (which you already knew) who did my first BTO or Don and Marty at Wildwood. I have talked to them many times and they are absolutely phenomenal to talk to and work with.

There are tons of options though. Tobias in Illinois, Wilcut, or you may want to check with Randees Music. I don't know how they are with BTOs but their standard line pricing is amazing.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 03:19:17 PM »
Martin Music, Memphis TN.

5 of my 6 GAs below came from there. Eric Martin is an absolute  pleasure to work with.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

darylcrisp

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 09:05:36 PM »

5 of my 6 GAs below came from there. Eric Martin is an absolute  pleasure to work with.

i've watched your BTO's with fascination. I really like the aesthtics and organic nature you end up building-if i get close to this i may run my idea by you to see what you think-honest!

and yep, that was the shop i was trying to remember-they always seem to have some good stock inhouse.

thanks a bunch-and everyone else-thank you all
d

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 08:23:45 AM »

i've watched your BTO's with fascination. I really like the aesthtics and organic nature you end up building-if i get close to this i may run my idea by you to see what you think-honest!

and yep, that was the shop i was trying to remember-they always seem to have some good stock inhouse.

thanks a bunch-and everyone else-thank you all
d

Happy to assist, Daryl...have fun!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

mikeguywest

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 07:54:51 PM »
Good point, PureTone! I'll learn to pay more attention one of these days ;) I've seen some others who've done BTO's from Buffalo Bros and they were really nice looking, that's why I mentioned them, but no I haven't personally done business with them so I'm out of line - apologies.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 07:56:56 PM by Good News Guy »

fmbstrummer

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 09:16:17 PM »
Daryl, I have never commissioned a Taylor BTO.  I have owned a few Taylors.  Three guitars purchased from Buddy Roger's Music in Cincinnati.  Two were Taylors.  Not a forum member but a great representative of Taylor Guitars.  If I was interested in a BTO, I'd contact the owner, Dave Miller.  Dave has three Cincinnati retail stores and carry a good inventory of standard models, Ltds. and BTOs.  There are many first class Taylor representatives, many are sponsors here.  I am certain they're all good.  My experience has been with this dealer.

Enjoy the hunt!

FMB     

JLed79

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 02:44:26 PM »
I went through The Music Emporium(outside of Boston) at the recommendation of Nate Shivers at Taylor when I commissioned my BTO. Adam Dardeck specifically at Music Emporium. Couldn't have been happier.
2013 Custom GA (Sinker/ Macassar)
2006 814ce
2001 Baby (Rosewood)
2001 Baby (Koa)
1993 412
1996 Gibson Chet Atkins SST