Author Topic: What are your best words of wisdom  (Read 6722 times)

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
Re: What are your best words of wisdom
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2013, 11:33:38 AM »
I'm a  believer that even occasional lessons can take you outside your comfort zone and promote technique break-throughs.  Certainly was the case with skiing and tennis for me, and with guitar playing as well.  Getting a fabulous new guitar can be a great motivator to spend more time with the instrument, but lessons can be a key for improvement, if you're lucky enough to find the right teacher.

Just after getting my new 614ce in 2007 or so I decided after 40 years of playing to learn fingerstyle.  I began lessons, and after mastering some acoustic rock my teacher switched gears and had me work on some classical pieces.  My general fingerstyle  playing improved markedly (but still has a long, long way to go), and I've been able to apply some of the same skills to flatpicking as well.

Like I did when I was working on my skiing skills, I mix my daily guitar time between pure technique exercises and just playing out for fun.

Also, learning a new, slightly challenging song can be a great way to break out of a rut.

As I said, I still have a long way to go  -- I've been working on the fingerstyle gem Anji (Bert Jansch and Paul Simon have covered it) for 1 1/2 years now.................
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

thermostrat

• "Nuttin' quite like American made"
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2013, 11:05:06 PM »
As if these all weren't perfectly satisfying and accurate responses themselves, I somehow felt obliged to weigh in. If you ask a layperson or non-musician which they would enjoy most: Being audience to a learned, accomplished musician who took them through the world of music on a flawless tour of perfect executions and difficult fingerings or a very basic player who remained simple while delicately touching their soul with his/her heartfelt performance... the answer would most often be the latter. A wise man is quoted as once saying, "I believe that the aim of a good musician should be to refrain from attempting to make difficult melodies sound simple but rather to play with such feeling that the simple seems entirely accomplished". Good performances are noted time after time by the listener as being performances that "moved" them. Strive for that! For after all, it is the listener who we are aiming to entertain... not the fellow musician, to impress:) Just my Hay penny...
"Nuttin' quite like a Taylor"
---
FSR Am. Strat
Fender Std. Strat
Custom Tele Relic
American Deluxe Tele
Epi. Les Paul Std.+Top
Ibanez Artcore AF95
Taylor 514ce
Ovation 1763
Martin GPCPA1
Alvarez Regent
Stella Parlor '66
---
Marshall Haze40
Blues Deluxe
Hot Rod DeVille
Crate RFX30
Roland Cube Street

Lizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2013, 11:15:29 PM »
Nicely said, thermostrat. ThanKs for weighing in.

thermostrat

• "Nuttin' quite like American made"
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2013, 11:59:52 PM »
Don't mention it... :)
"Nuttin' quite like a Taylor"
---
FSR Am. Strat
Fender Std. Strat
Custom Tele Relic
American Deluxe Tele
Epi. Les Paul Std.+Top
Ibanez Artcore AF95
Taylor 514ce
Ovation 1763
Martin GPCPA1
Alvarez Regent
Stella Parlor '66
---
Marshall Haze40
Blues Deluxe
Hot Rod DeVille
Crate RFX30
Roland Cube Street

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, 04:15:57 AM »
Is there some advice any of you have to share that led you to becoming a more proficient player?

Yes..I took beginning jazz guitar lessons. Practicing chord melodies REALLY improves your hand strength, precision, timing, chord knowledge, etc.

.....of course, classical guitar lessons will do this, too.

I've only heard two guys play jazz on a Les Paul....me, and some guy named "Les Paul"

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2013, 07:02:13 AM »
I have to say the acquisition of my Taylor 614ce marked the moment in time when my proficiency as a player began to show quantum leap improvements.
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2013, 02:24:27 PM »
Is there some advice any of you have to share that led you to becoming a more proficient player? My teacher has said, scales, scales, scales....really?

"What are your best words of wisdom"
The ox is slow, but the Earth is patient.  Play on
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

MexicoMike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2013, 04:13:02 PM »
Some thoughts -

I can relate to the question because although I have been playing the guitar pretty much continually since I was 14, about 4 years ago I decided I wanted to learn to play the violin…I mean SERIOUSLY play the violin!  My goal was to play the Bach Chaconne in 5 years.  Never touched a violin in my life prior to that.

I was lucky to have an excellent teacher who ended up teaching me as much about playing the guitar as he did the violin because, as others have said, learning to play anything has the same set of issues.

First, the old saying "Practice makes perfect" should better be phrased, "practice makes permanent."  So it's critical that practice be useful and that whatever you are practicing be practiced correctly no matter HOW SLOOOOOW you have to play it.  Always play the passage involved as slow as you need to to play each note correctly BUT at the correct relative tempo.  IOW, don't play at normal tempo and then slow down to play those several tough notes and then speed back up.  Doing so is a perfect example of practicing incorrectly and making it permanently wrong.  It's far easier to learn it correctly and slowly in the first place than it is to correct something.

Another useful item. though it may not apply too much at first, is don't waste practice time on something you do well.  It's easy to have a problem with some part, get annoyed and then just go play something that you already can.  My violin teacher jumped on that really fast one day - "Why are you starting from there? (6-8 measures before the hard part) We already know you can play that.  Start on the hard part!"  I really learned to concentrate on the hard part and surprise, that formerly hardest part of the piece became easy.  Up till then, even on guitar, if I got to a rough spot I would go back and start over, thus actually spending relatively little time on the tough bits.  Seems dumb now but it's what I did. ;)

When I was playing flamenco guitar regularly in NYC, I often practiced 6-8 hours a day.  I wondered why, in some cases, with all that practice, why certain passages remained difficult.  I learned in my violin studies that I was approaching it all wrong.  First off, 6-8 hours of practice is way beyond the amount of practice that is useful.  It became "rote" practice, not actual THINKNG about what I was doing.  So now although I may play for a lot more than a couple of hours on a given day, I don't PRACTICE any longer than 2 hours - and basically 45-50 minutes, a break, and then 45-50 again.

As far as learning the fretboard/playing with music, I'd say, as others have, that it depends on what you want to do.  If you want to be able to play guitar chord-type accompaniment for singing, I'd say it's not necessary though you may decide you'd like to learn to read music for guitar.  I can sight-read music for piano and violin but I can't for guitar and have personally never seen any reason for me to do it.  It doesn't add any capability that I need for what I do and enjoy.   But again, that's totally a personal decision and is affected by what you want to play.

I'm a big believer in chord-based application.  Once you know the chords in any key, you can basically play/accompany anything that you can hear because any tune/harmony is made up of those chords.  Obviously the more keys you know, the more flexibility you have but you can get by with a few of the common guitar keys if you are ok with using a capo to accompany someone who is playing in a different key. 

If you are planning to accompany yourself or someone else, then your choice of keys to learn would obviously based on what key you/they sing in.  Again, you could probably learn only one key and, with a capo, move it anywhere you need it but often guitar keys are chosen for the specific notes/registers available for a specific sound.  IOW, you could play C-position chords capoed up 4 frets and be playing in "E."  But the sound of the guitar will be very different than it will be if played using E position chords.

But, as previously mentioned, the guitar can be played a ton of different ways.  I once heard a guitar teacher explain to a student that Paco De Lucia uses improper technique; I'm pretty sure Jimi Hendrix did too… ;)

MexicoMike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2013, 04:14:53 PM »
Disregard, was a duplicate post that I couldn't figure out how to delete.

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2013, 01:56:55 PM »
Is there some advice any of you have to share that led you to becoming a more proficient player? My teacher has said, scales, scales, scales....really?

I disagree that scales are important. I think it is better to practice many single-note melodies instead.

It is good training to try to pick out melodies on the fly.

Short, frequent practice sessions are more productive than long sessions.

Our minds learn best in the morning soon after a good night’s sleep.

Jeffrey

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2013, 09:25:28 AM »
Lots of good advice...reminds me of playing sports in high school.  At basketball practice we would do drills on fundamentals with lots of repetition, incorporate plays as team walking through them then gradually increasing the speed.  We'd play practice games then at some point play "live" and see how it all came together.

While we don't keep score in music the approach is similar:  Practice fundamentals, drill slowly then increase speed with ability to do new things, practice out of sight then go to a venue and try it out live.  The only thing I might add to that is to have some fun and find some time to push the envelope a bit.   
Taylor 612ce
Taylor T5 Custom Koa
Baby Taylor w/Fishman
Martin OMJM
Breedlove Focus SE
YairiWY1
Ovation 1984 Collectors
Takamine New Yorker
Godin A6 Ultra Koa
Gibson 339
'68 Telecaster

bkkpicker

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2013, 07:55:21 AM »
The best advice I ever got is to record yourself and listen critically to what you really sound like. It's the best antidote for self-delusion. Eric Clapton makes the point well in his autobiography. And when I go to a store to audition guitars I always spend as much time listening to someone else play the instrument as I do playing it myself.
What I play ...
Bob Dylan
The Band
Neil Young
John Prine

Favorite player: David Bromberg

MexicoMike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2013, 08:54:50 AM »
"The best advice I ever got is to record yourself and listen critically to what you really sound like. "

TOTALLY CONCUR!  There is nothing so brutal as sitting back and listening to how you actually sound as opposed to how you THINK you sound.  The good side is that it provides for rapid improvement; the bad side is that it can be quite disheartening on occasion when you think you sound fabulous and the recorder slaps you up the side of the head with a dose of reality!  :)

A smartphone with a recording app is all that's really necessary to do the job.  I start recording a new piece once I have figured out what I want to play for the guitar part and have learned the words.  Sometimes I discover that a relatively involved guitar accompaniment that I've impressed myself with(!) doesn't really work for the song.

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2013, 09:14:07 AM »
The best advice I ever got is to record yourself and listen critically to what you really sound like. It's the best antidote for self-delusion. Eric Clapton makes the point well in his autobiography. And when I go to a store to audition guitars I always spend as much time listening to someone else play the instrument as I do playing it myself.

Yes, yes, and yes!  I've recently begun recording myself for one of my teachers and boy....was that an eye opener.  After I got over the initial shock of what I really sounded like I was able to take that and his advice and really focus on things.

I use my iPhone with a Tascam IM2 mic for better sound (cuts down on the hiss that the iPhone mic picks up).

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2013, 09:34:26 AM »

Hi Lizzy, while fundamentals are always a good thing they can be limiting.  I like the bluegrass genre so I spend a lot of time going over fiddle tunes....not a lot of them as I'm not interested in quantity but quality.  I sought out instructors that are in the genre and I spend a lot of time watching and listening as well.  Right now I've been doing Skype lessons and they work great BC I was able to seek out instructors that are masters in their fields.

For instance, right now I am working on Bill Cheatham.....I know the basic structure of the song and have watched a lot of people play it.  Now I am working on adding my own touch to the song and moving around the neck to find other ways to play it.  Sometimes I even try a different key and work out that fingering.

The thing about fiddle tunes is they are set up in "modules" for lack of a better term and allow me at least to learn modes and runs while learning to play a song.  Teachers used to say, play a pentatonic scale run for the solo and i really didn't know what that meant, i do now tho' BC ive spent lots of time doing just that without even realizing it.  Most songs are in G, D, or A and G sits well on the guitar, capo 2 and you have A if you are playing at a jam or with a fiddle/mandolin.  So if I go to a jam I really know just one song but I can play it several different ways.

Then, I can transfer these runs to other songs in the same key, need a lick/run in D....not a problem.  I think it's what's really helped me to move intro being able to improvise.  I learn a lot by ear now and am getting to the point where I can take a break in a song....now before you get too impressed I am not anywhere near the warp speed tempo that BG is played in but I have fun in the living room and the dreaded "play me something" request is not so scary anymore when people come over and see my instruments.

Besides, none of my friends know fiddle tunes so even if I play it wrong they still think its good.......  8)

So, I recommend you find a style you like and learn all you can about it.  Listen to a lot of versions, YT is great for this......I found a group called Gid Tanner and the Skillet Lickers the other day.......
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 09:37:55 AM by BigSkyTaylorPlayer »