Author Topic: What are your best words of wisdom  (Read 6720 times)

Lizzy

• Veteran Member
What are your best words of wisdom
« on: October 31, 2013, 10:01:44 PM »
Is there some advice any of you have to share that led you to becoming a more proficient player? My teacher has said, scales, scales, scales....really?

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
Re: What are your best words of wisdom
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 10:09:46 PM »
Play what you love!

When I was 12 years old and in a band, the keyboard player's Dad (he "coached" us) once told us: "If you make a mistake, make it loud and proud.  Don't apologize, don't make a face - just keep playing and having fun!"

48 years later, I still think that's pretty good advice.

Captain Jim

2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

GuitNGood

• My Youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 01:40:13 AM »
Practice everything new EXTREMELY slowly with a metronome until you can play it flawlessly andcc only then  gradually increase tempo. By doing so you will develop muscle memory that will be the foundation of your overall technique.
Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho?

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 01:49:11 AM »
 Have fun. Play, play, play. ;D
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 06:06:13 AM »
Learn the notes on the fretboard and learn to read and play standard music notation.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 09:11:50 AM »
All good advise.  I definitely start with a metronome at a very slow tempo.  you will learn it with out mistakes and then muscle memory will be your friend. 
But I like this, and use it often.   ;)
When I was 12 years old and in a band, the keyboard player's Dad (he "coached" us) once told us: "If you make a mistake, make it loud and proud.  Don't apologize, don't make a face - just keep playing and having fun!"
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

azslacker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 11:49:13 AM »
What Code Blue said!

Learning to play music on any instrument is a series of brick walls. You make some progress, then hit that brick wall and you feel like your never going to get any better. At that point, just remember where you were 6 months ago. Or back at the beginning when fretting a G chord seemed impossible. Keep going, and you will get better.

When I start working on a new fingerstyle song I find that most of it is pretty easy, but there are a few measures here and there that are a real challenge to get thru. I work on those measures over and over but I set a time limit. Usually 5-10 min. At that point I go on to something I know. After all, if your not having fun, why bother.

If your teacher wants scales, then just decide you'll learn them. Set a time limit to practice them, and stick to it. Make every minute count and don't kick yourself around for messing up.

Back many years ago I took guitar lessons. Practicing was something I really loathed. Took 3 years, but decided my problem was I didn't like the style of music my teacher did. Now I only play what I like.
2016 322e 12 Fret
2011 312ce
2012 GS-Mini hog 
1983 Washburn D 12S
Yamaha Classical
Ukulele's out the ying yang.
2014 Larivée PO-3 Koa

jpmist

• Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 07:22:54 PM »
This will probably go against the grain of most folks here, especially teachers, but I'd encourage you to learn to play along to the guitar songs you like. No tabs, maybe a hint or two on what chords to start at, but to paraphrase Yogi, you can hear a lot by listening.

That the way I started out, and  I now play a lot of songs I figured out by ear- Clapton, Knopfler, Mayer and the occasional James Taylor.

My sister picked up the guitar at age 50 and since I had no experience (or patience) to teach her she's been learning from a teacher who basically gave her some books and plowed thru them with her for 4 years. While she can read music and pick out the notes on the fretboard, something I never got around to doing, she can't actually play along with me and can't even play rhythm guitar since her teachers focus has been her learning the fretboard. She's learned to play, but she hasn't learned to listen. She's talked of quitting several times because she's so stressed out about playing "wrong" she doesn't enjoy it.

Now I don't mean to trash all music instruction, I could probably benefit from it myself, but just to point out that there are a lot of roads leading to guitar competence and enjoyment. The one that worked for me was learning to play along to albums I like.
Taylor 322CE, Larrivee OO-05, Larrivee OOV-03, Strats
https://soundcloud.com/jpmist/got-cover

Lizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 11:48:26 PM »
I'm so glad I asked this these were some really great points of view. I wish I could Vulcan mind meld with this forum and extract all the guitar knowledge here :) learning the guitar has been a real struggle for me and I appreciate all the advice I can gather.
I have had to take a couple of months break from lessons, and when I start back I'm going to have a  talk with my teacher about what direction i want to be heading. I think we can have some of what he wants me to do and some of what I want to do too!

sandygerli

• Church choirs pray twice!! AMHIK
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 11:51:17 PM »
1) "Practise makes perfect". Always has, always will. My Mom was right...
2) Don't give up when nothing seems to go right.. You're just inches away from a breakthrough! Seriously. ;D
3) Humans make mistakes. Make 'em like you meant 'em and nobody will know the difference. Never stop and go back over. Takes a learning curve for that one, AMHIK... :-[
4)Play what you love or it'll show...
God Bless and Keep Pickin' away at it!

Sandy Gerli
Mount Airy, North Carolina

1999 655 in Quilted Maple
1985 Alvarez Yairi DY70
1970-something Framus 12-string
2012 Luna Trinity 12
2013 Deviser L720B

azslacker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 09:59:53 AM »
Practice is the key. A lot of it. I figure that it takes me twice as long to learn something, on the north side of 50, as it did when I was a 20 something.

Don't stop practicing a song when you get it right, practice it until you can't get it wrong.

You will always sound you best if you really like what you are playing. No harm in giving up on a song you thought you wanted to play. Even after investing a lot of time working on it. I've given up on songs, and later, come back to it, maybe after hearing another version that sounded better.

Listen to a lot of live music at small venues.

Go to a couple of open mics, and you'll realize you arn't as bad as you think you are.
2016 322e 12 Fret
2011 312ce
2012 GS-Mini hog 
1983 Washburn D 12S
Yamaha Classical
Ukulele's out the ying yang.
2014 Larivée PO-3 Koa

MikeB

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 12:42:45 PM »
This will probably go against the grain of most folks here, especially teachers, but I'd encourage you to learn to play along to the guitar songs you like. No tabs, maybe a hint or two on what chords to start at, but to paraphrase Yogi, you can hear a lot by listening.

I'll second this advise.  Learning scales is good, as is learning how to read music, but unless you plan on a 'formal career', developing the ability to 'play by ear' will get you a lot further.
Last year I was practicing with some guys, then we were playing at a party, and one of them, who had only played mando in the group until then, brought out a guitar and started doing some songs with his wife on fiddle.  He asked me 'do you know ... or ...' and I said I didn't but just to go ahead and play the songs, I'd play along - which I did.  Later one of the other guys came up to me and asked how I was able to play along with songs I didn't know - I said it was just something I'd developed over years of playing.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 02:07:54 PM »
I agree with Mike. I will add/clarify that my learning standard music notation has made me a much better play-by-ear player. I don't think you have to do one or the other (formal learning vs by ear), but rather, the formal learning can really enhance your playing by ear with others when necessary. Knowing music theory basics can really help.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 03:30:22 PM »
In my mind, there is no single proper way to play the guitar. Just look around at all the different ways people play them...upside down, hammering, strumming, picking, fingerstyle, alternate tunings, etc, etc etc...my advise is to listen, attempt to duplicate what you like to hear, play every day, and find your own voice. Ideally, the development of your musical ear along with being able to read music would go far. But if I had to choose one over the other, it would be developing your ear....have fun!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 09:58:08 AM by Strumming Fool »
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

paul_zm

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 03:52:02 PM »
You need to find something that engages you as a player. That makes you want to pick up the guitar every day. Find that and you'll progress. I also found (years ago) when I was getting started that doing 4 or 5 short focused 15-minutes sessions broken throughout the day (set a goal, work toward it) is more effective that practicing 3-4 hours straight.