Author Topic: $4K dilemna  (Read 9863 times)

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
Re: $4K dilemna
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2013, 09:07:56 AM »
Yeah, I've become smitten by the whole Froggy mystique, the origins with Gurian, the concept of gluing the top last to allow the entire box to be customized, etc.   Maybe if a  C model comes along at the " right" price......
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

PureTone

Re: $4K dilemma
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2013, 04:34:05 PM »
It's only a dilemma if the guitar hasn't been bought yet, so no dilemma. Enjoy.

jeffbelch

• JeffBelcher.com
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2013, 06:09:08 PM »
If I had that kind of cash, I'd buy a Collings (CJ35 would be my first choice).  Bourgeois instruments are pretty amazing as well.
Jeff Belcher |
Rhoney Oceana | Fender '52 Reissue Tele | Gibson Songbird
Dr Z Z28 | Emery Sound Superbaby | Wolfetone Pickups | Barber LTD-SR Overdrive
Follower of Christ, husband to Kelly, father of five, and Worship Pastor at

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2013, 01:02:12 PM »
Tried a Bourgeois OM Adi/Madi in that exact price range that WAS amazing.  Strongly considered it before buying a custom Taylor GC-12 fret.
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2013, 04:29:02 PM »
There are some pretty awesome choices in that price range. Having tried the commission, boutique and high end factory choices I can tell you each has it's rewards. If resale is not in the cards I would suggest a commission. The luthier talent out there is incredible. You explain what style(s) you want the guitar for and plan out every aspect together. Then you get to enjoy the journey as it is built before your eyes. And these guys are good at it. You rarely hear of someone getting a final product that doesn't match what they were hoping for and then some.

If there is a chance you would flip the guitar in the future I would hang with the high end boutiques or factory models. Froggys are awesome as are Santa Cruz, Bourgeois, Goodall etc., etc.

JMHO

I hope you enjoy the hunt.
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

3Guitars

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2013, 05:45:22 PM »
Oh Boy! I'd go with the BTO for all the aformentioned reasons. Those folks are like family to me. They build some amazing guitars and going BTO, there'll be no disappointment in keeping or selling the instrument. My $.02
1994 Fender Duo Sonic w/Fralin p'ups
1995 510e w/ES system retrofit
2012 SB-2 chambered Koa Ltd.
2013 GS Mini w/ES-Go p'up and V-cable
"If it sounds good, it is good"...Duke Ellington

Drock2k1

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2013, 01:17:35 PM »
If I was going to drop that kind of coin I would do my "due diligence" and check out some small luthiers before ordering a BTO. You may not have that kind of opportunity again and I would want to be sure I got what I wanted. Having done a BTO though, I can say that I cannot wait to do another one!

Blueshwk

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2013, 09:41:34 PM »
they do get special handling. you can choose the woods that you want to use. they'll shoot you a few pics and you get to decide which back and sides you'd prefer. there are a lot of ways that they differ from the regular production guitars. i was fortunate enough to have an employee of the music shop that i ordered my last guitar at the taylor factory already. he was able to hand select the maple back and sides that looked the deepest and most uniform. he also got CV bracing added at no extra charge as they were doing a run with cv anyway. i don't think i could ever make up my mind totally if i were to place an order for a true BTO. i'd be making minor changes to it all the up to the point that the UPS guy rang my doorbell.

I can certainly relate to these comments... I am not sure I could place the order myself but I sure can appreciate one that has been ordered by someone else. Case in point I have my eye on a BTO dread at a local small shop that was ordered by them and with Bob Taylor personally choosing the backs and sides (Amazon Rosewood) for that particular guitar. I like it so much in fact that I have my RT Style 1 up for sale and am almost tempted to trade it in. Just hate to think about the beating I would take by trading.

StinkyJeff

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2013, 11:20:33 PM »
Wow, I can't even fathom that. Exciting though.  Personally, I get super nervous with any guitar over a grand as I'd worry too much about it.  I drag mine around a lot and play them pretty hard.

But, if I had the cash and desire, it wouldn't be a Taylor.  It would be a Goodall, or some other boutique builder.  That sort of money could get you a lot of guitar, especially if mint boutique and used.