Author Topic: $4K dilemna  (Read 9862 times)

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
$4K dilemna
« on: October 31, 2013, 07:54:20 AM »
So Taylor fans: with $4,000-4,500 to spend, does one buy a custom BTO Taylor or a guitar from a boutique small shop luthier of note, all things being equal?
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
Re: $4K dilemna
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 08:01:11 AM »
Nice dilemma.   ;)  I'm guessing you'll get completely different answers asking here and at the aforementioned small shop luthier.   ;D

2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

jrporter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 08:08:26 AM »
As much as I like my Taylors, I'd opt for a small shop luthier....

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 08:29:18 AM »
Wow, would love to have a dilemma like that!
Either way, I don't think you can make a wrong choice here.
Personally, I'd probably do a BTO.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 08:32:05 AM »
I enjoy moving guitars in and out of my collection, keep them for a couple of years then sell them or trade them.   With that in mind I don't think the resale value is there on small shop builds. 
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

ninorojo

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 09:39:25 AM »
Oh man, the only 4k dilemma i would have is "do I sell a kidney or a lung?"
2013 Taylor GS Mini-e Mahogany

azslacker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 10:26:49 AM »
I'd have to say BTO. You know the warrenty is good and they'll be around for a while.
I like having a NT neck for future adjustments, or problems.
There is a larger re-sale market too, if you decide the guitar just doesn't work out.
2016 322e 12 Fret
2011 312ce
2012 GS-Mini hog 
1983 Washburn D 12S
Yamaha Classical
Ukulele's out the ying yang.
2014 Larivée PO-3 Koa

wooglins

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 11:11:39 AM »
Gosh, thats tough.  4k buys a really nice handmade guitar.  Dont get me wrong Taylor is my favorite brand of production guitar, but there are some really amazing guitars that are not production guitars (and outperform most Taylors).  You can also get a boutique guitar with an adjustable neck, there are quite a few builders that use that neck design (the trend in the handbuilt world is moving towards bolt on necks.  Taylor proved it was the better connection type for a variety of reasons and the rest of the guitar world is slowly moving towards this connection plus the patent runs out soon on the specific NT design).

mikeguywest

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 12:12:19 PM »
That's a nice bulge of pocket change! Having a solid company backing up its workmanship is a strong point. But that doesn't mean your faithful luthier won't back up his work. I'm assuming your luthier is one who has a solid track record of quality work, not just original designs. Maybe try to track down other customers of the luthier to see how pleased they are with their guitars after so many years. I always like it when the "little guys" get a crack at my business, look what happened to Bob & Kurt!

That said, we all know, respect, and treasure the well-earned reputation of Taylor Guitars. For a BTO option they would have a greater stockpile of options for bookmatched tops and backs, as well as the variety of appointments, even personalized options. I live in NorCal so it would be fairly easy for me to get down to the factory to personally choose these items - THAT would be nice!

Have fun with you "dilemma"!  ;D

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
Update, from OP
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 12:21:52 PM »
Gotta come clean. We (well, actually my wife) spent $XXXX at a roadshow for a Custom GC 12-fret Sinker/EIR (photo attached).  This beautiful guitar also sounds amazing, even with a light touch.  But the grass is always greener, and second-guessing is rampant in my head.  This guitar compares favorably with a Bourgeois signature OM Adirondack top, Madagasgar Rosewood B & S priced exactly the same as my Taylor.  I didn't have the opportunity to hear them side by side so I'm not sure how they compare, but I lusted (with no cash to spend)  after the Bourgeois for months, about a half year before my wife bought me the Taylor!!  And I just attended the Woodstock Show, with many amazing guitars in the $4000-$8000 price range.  Should I (she) have waited?  Believe me, I expect no pity, just some chortling from some out there...............

edited for price
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 12:35:22 PM by UTGF-Team »
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'05 TAYLOR 614ce 

azslacker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 12:41:32 PM »
Without playing the Road Show purchase I still think you got a pretty good buy. Love the sinker top sound. Pretty unique in the guitar world. Beautiful instrument to boot. I've not been in the handmade guitar market but just did some internet shopping on some builder sites. 4K seems to be the bottom floor in pricing on a lot of them. Sure see some nice stuff in the 6-10K range.
2016 322e 12 Fret
2011 312ce
2012 GS-Mini hog 
1983 Washburn D 12S
Yamaha Classical
Ukulele's out the ying yang.
2014 Larivée PO-3 Koa

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 12:48:39 PM »
Yes, you're right on pricing.  I loved a Froggy Bottom walnut/adirondac size C (00 sized) instrument, at twice the price of my BTO Taylor.  Ditto 2X pricing for equivalent guitars at Woodstock.  No doubting Taylor BTO's are often great values.  Another question I have is how is handing of BTO guitars different at the factory than standard production models?  Do they just get normal build slots or do they have some special handling akin to what they were doing with R. Taylors?
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'05 TAYLOR 614ce 

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 06:10:12 PM »
So Taylor fans: with $4,000-4,500 to spend, does one buy a custom BTO Taylor or a guitar from a boutique small shop luthier of note, all things being equal?
I choose letter "D" for "none of the above."  4k in discretionary dough on a guitar is a nice chip to have, but an even better one when shopping used!  There are loads of killer luthier-built guitars, BTOs, and don't forget stellar R-Taylors in there in used-gear land that offer you even more bang for your elevated bucks.  Think of it this way: you are now getting a 6-7K guitar in tone, specs, and appointments for the very same cash outlay.  I don't know about you, but that makes me smile :)

Edward

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 02:22:21 AM »
Tough call. But we want to see and/or hear whatever you get! :)
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)

stepchildusmc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 08:20:16 AM »
they do get special handling. you can choose the woods that you want to use. they'll shoot you a few pics and you get to decide which back and sides you'd prefer. there are a lot of ways that they differ from the regular production guitars. i was fortunate enough to have an employee of the music shop that i ordered my last guitar at the taylor factory already. he was able to hand select the maple back and sides that looked the deepest and most uniform. he also got CV bracing added at no extra charge as they were doing a run with cv anyway. i don't think i could ever make up my mind totally if i were to place an order for a true BTO. i'd be making minor changes to it all the up to the point that the UPS guy rang my doorbell.
Steppy
2008 NAMM Hot Rod(GA)
2013 spring ltd. 616 ce
2013 616 ce(honeyburst)
2011 Adamas 2080Sr
2014 324
2014 GS mini Hog
2013 GS mini Spruce
2014 GS mini Engelmann (HV)
only thing lacking is the talent !