Author Topic: MODIFIED TAYLORS....what have you done?  (Read 11353 times)

PHILLIP

MODIFIED TAYLORS....what have you done?
« on: October 22, 2013, 01:05:31 PM »
Hello all!
New to the forum here and a very big Taylor fan..Love this site..
So Im wondering,,am I the only one who have done tons of modifications to my guitars?
I know the purists like to keep things stock for collectability.But I have always bought my guitars to play,and usually if I get rid of one,another guitarist gets a cool axe.
After all a guitar is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
So please,tell me your thoughts on modifications and what have you done?

I myself have always bought satin guitars and buffed them.I prefer the look and sound to a heavy gloss,usually change or remove pickguards and truss covers.And always put in my own electronics.

Biggest mod project was when I got a T5 and hated the sound.Played amazing but I didn't feel the electronics did it justice..All electronics were gutted and replaced with what I felt was better sounding stuff..works for me..

azslacker

• Veteran Member
Re: MODIFIED TAYLORS....what have you done?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 01:25:38 PM »
Please tell me how you buff a satin finish?
My 312ce is stock and will stay that way.
My GSM hog, I plan to remove the PG, and would like to shine it up a bit. I put in a K&K Sounds Pure Mini pickup in it, and run that thru a Behringer ADI-21 preamp.
2016 322e 12 Fret
2011 312ce
2012 GS-Mini hog 
1983 Washburn D 12S
Yamaha Classical
Ukulele's out the ying yang.
2014 Larivée PO-3 Koa

PHILLIP

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 01:40:23 PM »
Pretty easy actually..i also buffed my mini mahogany and put a clear pickguard from taylor on it...bring out the wood nicely and gets rid the the swishy sound your arm makes when running acros the top while playing.
Um I gotta ask my guitar guy what stuff he gave me to buff it with.Its basically a car type polish that isn't real abrasive..Just put it on a cotton clothe and rub away..a min will take about an hour to do..my new 324 buffed out wickedly...

azslacker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 01:47:05 PM »
Thanks. Was hoping it was something you can do by hand. Didn't really trust myself taking the guitar to a spinning buffing wheel.
 Forgot to mention that I want some Gotoh 21:1 tuners for both guitars.
2016 322e 12 Fret
2011 312ce
2012 GS-Mini hog 
1983 Washburn D 12S
Yamaha Classical
Ukulele's out the ying yang.
2014 Larivée PO-3 Koa

mikeguywest

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 02:26:02 PM »
The only modification I've done thus far is changing out the plastic bridge pins on my Mini Hog to ebony, and removing the pick guard (photo in this thread: http://www.unofficialtaylorguitarforum.com/index.php?topic=4055.0). I thought about changing the NuTone saddle with a tusk, but figured it wouldn't make much if any difference anyway. On my GS8e I'm hoping to upgrade my tuners to Gotoh 510's Antique Gold. If I do I'll put the Taylor (Ping) gold tuners on my Mini. I've also been thinking about different truss rod covers on one or both.

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 02:40:07 PM »
The only modification I've done thus far is changing out the plastic bridge pins on my Mini Hog to ebony, and removing the pick guard (photo in this thread: http://www.unofficialtaylorguitarforum.com/index.php?topic=4055.0). I thought about changing the NuTone saddle with a tusk, but figured it wouldn't make much if any difference anyway. On my GS8e I'm hoping to upgrade my tuners to Gotoh 510's Antique Gold. If I do I'll put the Taylor (Ping) gold tuners on my Mini. I've also been thinking about different truss rod covers on one or both.
Not to sure the tuners from your GS8 will fit the Mini.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

joshsimpson79

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 02:57:12 PM »
My full sized Taylors through the years I haven't really done much to.  I've added bone saddles and changed the pins.  With my Minis I've added pins and may remove the pick guard on my Hog mini, now that I've tried it recently and saw how easily it comes off.  I don't get too crazy.
2022 GT Mahogany
2013 GS Mini-E Mahogany
Cordoba C5

wooglins

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 03:55:27 PM »
Here are mine.  Cocobolo tuner pegs, Cocobolo TRC, Custom dyed bone bridgepins, WAHI Nut and Saddle

« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 03:58:00 PM by wooglins »

mikeguywest

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 04:28:39 PM »
@Wooglins - that's just plain classy!

mikeguywest

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 04:33:31 PM »

I wondered about that myself. The tuners are smaller. I'm wondering if all I would have to do is carefully drill new holes to accommodate the stabilizer posts (?) on the larger gold tuners. I saw somebody selling a GS Mini on ebay a while back that had put gold tuners (the larger ones) on his. So it's possible, just not sure it would be worth the hassle.

Chedeng88

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 05:22:29 PM »
Some tasteful mods there Wooglins!

lmacmil

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 05:47:08 PM »
I put in bone bridge pins strictly for cosmetic reasons.  Could not detect any tonal change.  I like white pins on a black bridge.
Taylor GA3
Taylor 150e
Taylor 224ce-K

PHILLIP

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 06:18:42 PM »
Meguirs mirror glaze fine cut cleaner #2 is what Ive used to buff out 10 different guitars..just apply it to a soft cotton cloth and start rubbing a spot in a circular motion.takes a bit too see it start to shine,but once it does,its real easy.then work your way around the whole guitar..lots of elbo grease but worth the effort..little tricky close to bridge area.Usually Ill wrap a cloth round a guitar pick to get right up next to the bridge,,just take your time...I was scared the first time I did it,but it bufs slowly so no need to worry bout ruining it..

paulin

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 07:37:33 PM »

Yep, they should fit just fine.  I went to Taylor to buy "mini" Taylor tuners for my GS Mini and they said to us their standard tuners.  No drilling or other mods at all, just drop in. 

So, now my Mini hog sports gold Taylor tuners, a Bill Nichols truss rod cover, a LR Baggs M80 pickup, gold strap pins and soon I hope ebony bridge pins. 

PHILLIP

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 07:20:46 AM »
How do you like the m80 pickup?Ive always uses the m1 actives in mine and love them..