Author Topic: Lubrication  (Read 1060 times)

Adirondacker

Lubrication
« on: October 21, 2013, 02:11:41 PM »
Good day, all.  In the rare event when tuning machines with exposed metal parts, Waverly, some models of Grover's, etc. require lubrication, what kind of oil would you recommend?  I've heard sewing machine oil, WD-40 etc.  but I'd like to be sure.  Thank you

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Lubrication
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 02:41:00 PM »
I have a classical with exposed tuners and they started to feel stiff at my last string change.  So with the strings off, I checked the tension of the screws (if applicable) of the gear, then dribbled ever so little silicone spray oonto the gear mechanism and whatever friction points.  Turned everything vigorously to work in the lube, and strung the guitar up.  Perfecto!

Caution, be careful with anything silicone as I've read that silicone-based products on finishes renders them difficult/impossible to fix if you ever have to.  And of course, other petrol-based lubes can damage fins.  The idea here is a very [/b]]very small amount of oil is all you need.

Edward

Chedeng88

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 02:51:56 PM »
Some say Waverly tuners do not need to be re-lubricated, but according to StewMac using the right stuff won't hurt them either if they get dry.

Usually this is what we use.  Available in Amazon and most bicycle stores.

Tri-Flow Superior Dry Lubricant

Chedeng88

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 05:28:57 PM »
Cool tidbit there.

oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 10:15:14 PM »
It is just wood oil won't hurt it. Mike