Author Topic: Tuners  (Read 1365 times)

Adirondacker

Tuners
« on: October 15, 2013, 12:45:07 PM »
Hello everyone.  I have a T5 with the stock tuners which I would like to swap out for Waverlys.  Stew-Mac sells a selection but could not answer whether they would be an easy replacement.  Has anyone done this swap and is it doable or are mods on the headstock required. many thanks.

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Tuners
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 04:39:10 PM »
Looks easy enough.  2 screws to put in, so make sure you pre-drill(mark you drill bit so you don't go to deep)the screw holes.  The trickiest part for me when I put on some Gotoh's was making sure they were all lined up and straight.  Good luck, let us know how it turns out.  and pictures, oh maybe you could search here on the forum on a tuner swap out. 
Here is a link for replacing Gotoh tuners:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143697
Maybe it will help.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

DougalE

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 07:41:34 PM »
Adirondacker: Here are the specs for Waverly butterbean tuners from Stew Mac:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Waverly_Guitar_Tuners/Waverly_Guitar_Tuners_with_Butterbean_Knobs,_for_Solid_Pegheads.html?tab=Specs

Hope the link works.  I would call Taylor with those drawings in front of you and get someone to confirm they will fit nicely on the T5.  The through holes might be different size.  If they are, you might want to take want to have a guitar tech do the work.  Or there could be some other problem.

Adirondacker

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 01:55:32 PM »
dougalE and  Mgap.  Merci for the advice.  The Waverlys fit perfectly and even covered the footprint of the Taylor's. Life is good.  Again, Thank you.

DougalE

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 02:48:44 PM »
You are welcome Adirondacker.  Fwiw, I just bought a Collings CJMh with Waverly tuners and a Taylor 514e with gold Gotoh tuners and to be honest, I like the feel of the Gotohs better.  But I like the Collings guitar better. :~)