Author Topic: How many posts does it take ...  (Read 8935 times)

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
Re: How many posts does it take ...
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 03:26:45 PM »
although it was not my intention to 'reach a goal', i like my jr member 'status' (not gonna lie ;) )

i would like to think that some of my input is of value, in some small way & that if any of the info is helpful,
thought-proviking or perhaps just funny, that then the post was a 'success' (not band-width wasted in vain)

for example, if one works for a large company, providing x # of years of faithful, dependable &
valued service, sometimes there is something of value (large or small) such as a 'brass ring' or
gold watch (token of appreciation) waiting for them at the end of the journey (retirement) -
i mean, i would hope the reason why person is doing what they're doing is not just for that 'award' or
even for recognition, but because ther person likes what they're doing & they want to see the company
they're working for be successful & that it can be shared & enjoyed by everyone throughout the place

here's another example - all Joe had to do was a little driving ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF0L1YmcZIQ

i don't know - i thought it was a good question to ask (initially)
i didn't think it'd be anything more than a 'trivial' bit of info ...

good discussion i think, though
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

forhim

• With All Our Might
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2011, 03:53:12 PM »
What's cool is to see that guys who have been posting on the "other" forum (some have multiple thousands) now are all starting over with everyone else!

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2011, 06:41:32 PM »
also, in a place such as this at the early stages, i find that one can interact much more
easily with one another, creating a very warm, friendly & inviting environment ... quite 'cozy'

i remember an event that began as a single day, Saturday afternoon/early evening
with perhaps 20 some-odd (maybe 30 people) who turned out for a great time

over the years, it grew into a nearly 3 day party (started Friday night, all day Saturday into
the wee hours & then Sunday morning meet up for breakfast), with upward of 150 people -
a new place accomodate the # of seats, sound system, emcee, workshops, performing artists ...
it became very 'structured' & people were forced to make choices because different things were
happening simultaneously (& it being a live event, there was no rewind, refresh or pause button

granted, it still was fun & a great time was had by all (or at least, i hope by all), but it had lost something in translation,as
it was much faster-paced with more things going on, more details to address & there was a schedule 'down to the minute' -
it seemed like everything was so busy & rushed that there was little, if any, time to find a quiet
place to just stop, sit down, say 'hey' to friends that you haven't seen in a while & to catch up

i'm glad that this place is not trying to be all things to all people -
it will continue to grow (it already has) & as it does, it seems like when
someone comes in that you know from somewhere else you will know it &
will be able to extend a warm welcome & and get a chance to catch up

being able to get to know new people is great, also & because we're all
'starting from square one', hopefully it is not 'intimidating' to ask a question -
i don't think it's very cordial, or nice, to request one use the 'search' function
to see if that question has been asked before (even if it has), as a new question,
any question, deserves a friendly, courteous, hopefullly helpful & respecftul answer

anyway, i believe this place is all about having fun, sharing interests & infomation,
pictures, new guitar days, birthdays, making new friends & catching up with old ones

i hope that everyone that stops by will stay awhile because it's gonna be a great ride :D

support indie musicians

dkoloff

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 07:29:49 PM »
I'll keep posting and wait with baited breath for the changeover. ;) But can I add up all my other forum post counts and start with that?
DavidK
Taylor Custom GA
Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald x20 OS
Rainsong Shorty Gloss
Composite Acoustic OX HG
Composite Acoustic GX RAW (Peavey)
Voyage Air Vaom 1C (2)
Breedlove Pro C25 CRH
Baden D Style
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany

Iplay2

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2011, 08:56:29 AM »
Lets see...

A wa-hon

A two-hoo

A threeee

Threeee

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2011, 04:29:30 PM »
Lets see...

A wa-hon

A two-hoo

A threeee

Threeee

:)

:D

;D

btw, here a link to the animation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2xMGI-QpZw

i had posted it incorrectly, previously (i brokeked-did my toy)

support indie musicians

InsideOut

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2011, 12:14:31 AM »
Now you are a full member!  Way to go!  When will he stop?
I have enough, but can always make room for more.

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2011, 12:43:13 AM »
What's cool is to see that guys who have been posting on the "other" forum (some have multiple thousands) now are all starting over with everyone else!

I couldn't agree more.  Honestly...it's very humbling for me to know that many here were willing to start from scratch. Whatever the post count anyone has, I've enjoyed seeing so many bond on here already... Being treated equally...with respect. 
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2011, 11:07:54 AM »
Now you are a full member!  Way to go!  When will he stop?
Ooo...I hope he doesn't stop! I love the info I'm learning!  ;D :D ;) :)
Cindy

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2011, 12:18:54 PM »
I like the post count.  On the "other" forum when someone that had thousands (or tens of thousands) of posts replied I gave it a bit more weight as I know they had been around for a long time - especially last week when the flurry of emails about the Taylor thread going away was running.

The posters with the high counts usually didn't post the snarky comments we all saw - rather they had some thoughtful input to the thread about the situation as a whole.

I'm glad to see them coming over here now.

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2011, 05:02:16 PM »
I like it when "Member since" or "Joined mm/yyyy" is listed next to the post. 
It kinda helps when looking at the post counts.  If someone has been a member for 3 yrs and has 500 posts I'll probably give them a little more credence than a member that's been active a month with 1000.  I guess I just think super high post counts in short amount of time means that a lot of those posts are quoting a previous one and adding "+1" or just inane and not substantive contributions. 
That's not always the case, but my general impression.
-K
Member #34
I'm not darth.

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2011, 06:24:07 PM »
It kinda helps when looking at the post counts.  If someone has been a member for 3 yrs and has 500 posts I'll probably give them a little more credence than a member that's been active a month with 1000.  I guess I just think super high post counts in short amount of time means that a lot of those posts are quoting a previous one and adding "+1" or just inane and not substantive contributions. 
-K

Agree!  Maybe Josh can add the date joined at some point.

bo1142

• Knoxville, TN
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2011, 06:56:16 PM »
-K

+1  ;D
Boone

My Taylor's:
2001 614ce
2007 GC6e
2008 K24ce
2011 814ce
2011 GSmini w/es-go

My other:
2002 Yamaha FG433s
2003 Fender Strat MIM
2005 Fender P Bass
2011 Mogan Monroe MMS-2 mandolin
2011 Makai LK-80w ukelele

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2011, 07:37:25 PM »
-K

+1  ;D

:D :D :D

for me, i can think of 4 reasons for a high post count

1. because one has in interest in an area, has many questions & would to learn as much about it as possible
2. because one has experience in an area, may be able to help answer some of those questions & is also learning in the process
3. because one is excited & enthusiastic about the community in which they're in, with many shared interests & opinions
4. ... what bo1142 said ;)

i don't know - it's easy enough to look at a person's posts & see if there is anything one feels has redeeming value
just because a person hasn't been been in a place for a very long time, doesn't mean that they're not 'legit' ...
imho,  welcoming new friends, catching up with old ones & everything in-between is what makes this place special :D

well, that & the super qulted blue GSLJ you've got, kris :)

support indie musicians

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2011, 09:17:32 PM »
-K

+1  ;D

;D ;D ;D
Hilarious!  I walked right into that one, didn't I?
-K
Member #34
I'm not darth.