Author Topic: About to buy a new 814ce?  (Read 5338 times)

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
Re: About to buy a new 814ce?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 08:09:57 AM »
Thanks for the comments and support. A great group, although as members of a Taylor forum I might question your objectivity. ...

Our objectivity may be suspect regarding Taylor versus other guitar brands (the inevitable question then becomes, why ask our opinion?) but not as to whether the 814 is a good choice among other Taylor models.

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 09:56:23 AM »
Herb makes a great point.  I didn't find this site until after I bought my first Taylor.  Sometimes we want some validation for a decision we have already made.  ;)   No doubt, we are biased, but I have learned so much from the good folks here.  This site is more than "we love Taylors" - it is a wealth of information and entertainment.  There may be a day or two that goes by where I don't find time to pick up a guitar, but I try to get my daily look at this forum.

I played several 814s before I bought mine... very consistent.  Mine was the first guitar I bought without playing (or seeing it in person) first.  Hope you have a great experience when the guitar comes in.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 02:40:22 PM »
The 814ce is a great all-purpose acoustic. Tell your wife that you'd have to buy 3-4 acoustics to cover all the playing styles (folk, rag, rock, etc.) that the 814ce handles with ease. In that perspective, it's a bargain! Welcome aboard...

Yes, what he said!
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Unwinpr

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2013, 02:34:38 AM »
Well, I've played a few 814's now. Very consistent in terms of action and sound. Some cosmetic variances. However just as I was getting pretty firm on Taylor over Martin, I tried a  Martin John Mayer in GC, Rather liked it too. not as bright as the Taylor but very sweet. So I rolled down to the local Taylor store, Acoustic Music in Salt Lake City ( great people by the way) where I tried a Collings OM2. Oh boy am I in a world of indecision! Two totally different guitars. The Taylor sound is not too dissimilar to my PRS Hollowbody through my AXE FX2, but the Collings has a feel and roundness of sound that is very cool. Dare I say more "organic" than the 814. I have to have some shoulder surgery next week so that will give me time to ponder. (I'm playing a couple of rock n roll gigs between now and then so that will shift my point of reference too!)  Collings is a lot more money and prompted a "This really must be your last guitar!" comment from my wife. :)  There's no way I can justify buying both, but I see why so many of you have whole collections of acoustics. I have a few but they have major difference like resonators etc. What a glorious dilemma to be in! I value your comments. Thanks for tolerating my vacillation.
When you're young, you play a guitar to get a girl. When you're older, you spend your time explaining to that girl why you need more guitars!

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 09:17:31 PM »
OMs are lovely guitars, which are also versatile. However, having owned all sizes and shapes (including many different brands), I have concluded that the Taylor X14 is the best all-purpose guitar out there. OMs are nice but they don't handle as many playing situations as the Taylor grand auditorium IMO. I believe that the grand auditorium does what the OM does, but also does a lot more...your decision, of course. Have fun in your continuing quest!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2013, 12:33:18 AM »
 A "glorious dilemma" indeed. No need to rush things, especially if this is going to be your "last guitar".  ;) Keep us posted on the search. I hope your upcoming shoulder surgery goes well. 
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

Unwinpr

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 12:56:47 AM »
Thanks everyone. I bought the Collings. A great guitar! No longer need to consider the Martin, but of course the Taylor remains there as a different option for the future. :)
When you're young, you play a guitar to get a girl. When you're older, you spend your time explaining to that girl why you need more guitars!

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 01:27:41 AM »
 Congrats on the new Collings. I'd love to see some pictures.
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"