Author Topic: Elixir Strings --> Do not like!  (Read 6752 times)

Harpo

Re: Elixir Strings --> Do not like!
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2013, 09:36:02 PM »
 If nothing else, I think this thread proves that string tone is subjective on a personal level.  ;D

And for the record, I just went back to elixirs after trying d'addario exp 12's on the 618. The exp's were fine at the start but there was a gradual drop off in sound quality to mudville starting the second week. A fresh set of nano pb's though, and my 618 was back producing that tone that made me fall in love with her in the first place.
2015 D-18
2012 210
1994 555
1990 Sigma DM12-1
Square Neck Resonator
-Gone, but not forgotten:
2013 618e #34
2010 GC7
2012 114ce

kidrid

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2013, 01:45:09 PM »
If the Elixirs sound muted, and all the world including me thinks they are 'bright', then you should have your hearing evaluated!  No foolin'.  I wear hearing aids after developing tinnitus and hearing loss.  Mostly high frequency loss, which is how it usually starts.  You're about my age, and there is loss of higher frequencies as we age.  For example, coins in my hand don't have that 'chime' that I used to hear.  They sound more like they are made of wood when I jingle them in my hand without the hearing aids. 
You would be surprised at how insidious hearing loss can be because it is so gradual.  Getting a hearing test is simple and only takes about a half hour.  Hopefully, it's not the issue with you, but if it is, it can be helped.
Regards

sitedrifter

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2013, 01:47:56 PM »
If the Elixirs sound muted, and all the world including me thinks they are 'bright', then you should have your hearing evaluated!  No foolin'.  I wear hearing aids after developing tinnitus and hearing loss.  Mostly high frequency loss, which is how it usually starts.  You're about my age, and there is loss of higher frequencies as we age.  For example, coins in my hand don't have that 'chime' that I used to hear.  They sound more like they are made of wood when I jingle them in my hand without the hearing aids. 
You would be surprised at how insidious hearing loss can be because it is so gradual.  Getting a hearing test is simple and only takes about a half hour.  Hopefully, it's not the issue with you, but if it is, it can be helped.
Regards

Why is that only the Elxirs that were on my Taylor when new sounded muted? It is not my hearing it was the strings. Could have been a dead one or too much coating or something but they did not sparkle by any means. 3 brands since have had that sparkle but not longevity so I may try Elxir again or Daddario coated strings or DR coated strings.
Mark

• 2013 Taylor 416ce-LTD (Sitka/Granadillo)
  • 2012 Gretsch CVT
  • 2012 Yamaha A1M

Thumb Picker

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2013, 07:38:11 AM »
I'm using Elixir PB nano lights on my W14

Love em

Have tried John Pearse Jazz lights
Those are very good as well

Was not happy with the Martin Longlife strings
Although I hoped I would be..... Great price
Taylor 614ce 1998 Quilted Maple beauty