Author Topic: Elixir Strings --> Do not like!  (Read 6753 times)

sitedrifter

Elixir Strings --> Do not like!
« on: July 30, 2013, 08:53:09 AM »
I want to preface this post with, I love my Taylor!

However, the strings that come on it are not what I consider optimum strings for the Taylor I own. They sound muted although they are getting louder but I have to admit if I played the guitar in person before purchasing it , I am not sure I would have bought it.

BUT...... All is not lost because new strings are on the way and since the tone I am after is that of strings with 85/15 composition (or greater then 85).  One brand that fits my needs is Dean Markley Blue Steel. They make my Yamaha A1M sing out with unbelievable power and that is 12ga. Blue Steel strings are 92/8 composition which provides the type of tone I am looking for. However, I always like trying new things so I tried GHS Vintage Bronze and WOW is all I can say. But they are already losing their tone (I have about 15 hours on them) so it is time to try another brand and I am going to go with DR Rare 13ga on my Taylor. Wish me luck and if you have any input on the DR strings please post up!

Mark

• 2013 Taylor 416ce-LTD (Sitka/Granadillo)
  • 2012 Gretsch CVT
  • 2012 Yamaha A1M

sitedrifter

Re: Elixir Strings --> Do not like!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 12:12:27 PM »
I forgot to add, once I have the new strings installed I will post pictures just for stepchildusmc!  :o
Mark

• 2012 Gretsch CVT
  • 2012 Yamaha A1M

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 12:52:23 PM »
Hi Mark,

String choice is about as personal as anything else regarding tone or feel: experimentation to find your fit is key.  Have at it! :D

But I have never heard anyone consider elixir 80/20s sounding "muted" ...never!  Bright, brassy, or tinny to some yes; and many deride elixirs for this"bright" timbre.  But never "muted" ...perhaps yours are old/dead?  FWIW, I feel the 80/20s are too bright for me, but the PBs are perfect tone for me.  That and the nano coating gives the elixir PBs the most consistent tone over their usable life that I have ever tried.  As someone who plays quite a bit and also has guitars exposed on a wall, tonal consistency and longevity is paramount.

Edward

sitedrifter

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 01:01:51 PM »
Hi Edward and thanks for your insight. Your right, muted may not be the right word but it was the best I came up with when writing the post. Of course I compared the Elixirs to the Blue Steel and GHS Vintage Bronze I am running on my Yamaha. Maybe subdued would be a better word. FWIW, one of the reasons I purchased a Taylor was for the bright tones they are known for. I guess I like it brighter then what the Elixirs can give, LOL.

I like you, am someone who plays alot but have only been playing for 1.2 years :D
And like you, I also have guitars haging on my wall and in fact, my Gretsch CVT is hanging diagonly above my couch in the (what I call) music room.  ;D
Mark

• 2012 Gretsch CVT
  • 2012 Yamaha A1M

stepchildusmc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 05:47:57 PM »
are the strings on yet sitey? you know i have a thing for strings... usually  more in a bikini but they look just as sexy on a guitar.... that doesn't mean you have to take a pic of yourself in a thong holding your guitar.. just in case you were getting the idea.
Steppy
2008 NAMM Hot Rod(GA)
2013 spring ltd. 616 ce
2013 616 ce(honeyburst)
2011 Adamas 2080Sr
2014 324
2014 GS mini Hog
2013 GS mini Spruce
2014 GS mini Engelmann (HV)
only thing lacking is the talent !

sitedrifter

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 10:07:18 PM »
No thong pics, I promise. The strings will be here tomorrow night (local GC did not have them in stock) and I am looking forward to putting them on the Taylor!!!
Mark

• 2012 Gretsch CVT
  • 2012 Yamaha A1M

sitedrifter

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 10:11:29 AM »
Just tried a set on my Yamaha Acoustic and they sound very nice (DR Rare) and I like the feel of them under my finger tips. Will post when I install a set on the Taylor tomorrow.
Mark

• 2012 Gretsch CVT
  • 2012 Yamaha A1M

sitedrifter

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 04:06:00 PM »
The DR Rare strings came early today so I put them on.

1. Do not like the packaging as they put 2 strings in per envelope but the do it in odd pairs.
1/4, 2/5, 3/6
I would rather have 1/2, 3/4, 5/6 for easier stringing as I do 1 string at a time.

2. The sound these strings make is far far better then what the Elixirs produced. Now I can say my Taylor has the bright brass tone with deep base.

Now we will see how they hold up but from reading various forums, they should last a good while.

If you want pics, please PM me they could be considered racy.. ROTFLMAO!
Mark

• 2012 Gretsch CVT
  • 2012 Yamaha A1M

MikeB

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 09:33:53 AM »
sitedrifter - most string manufacturers are packaging their strings that way these days.

I'm happy so far with the Martin Lifespans I put on my 310ce 2 weeks ago.   GuitarCenter had/has Lifespan 80/20s on sale on Saturday 5 sets for $20 - hard to pass up that deal, I got 3 sets of mediums for my Taylor and 2 sets of 'custom light's (they didn't have extra light) for other guitars.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 02:47:23 PM by MikeB »

sitedrifter

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 09:51:03 AM »
After playing the Taylor with the DR Rare strings for the past few days, I can honestly say the Taylor has come into it's own element of pure and wonderful sound.

I will tell you that I went on a search about Elixir strings to see if I had a bad set installed on the Taylor and if I should give them another shot. Well what I found might surprise some. There are lots of negative threads on various boards about the Elixirs. More so then other brands from what I was reading. Lots of people felt the same way I do so I think I have left them in the dust. Still, I am always on the prowl for better sounding strings as for now, it is cheaper then hunting for a better sounding guitar  ;)
Mark

• 2012 Gretsch CVT
  • 2012 Yamaha A1M

MikeB

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 02:49:28 PM »
I tried Elixers on other guitars last year and was not impressed with them.   I used Cleartones for a few years, but they are just too expensive.  Martin Lifespans are actually coated by Cleartone, so I guess they are the next best thing.  I had never thought about it before, but the best thing about coated strings is the almost-total reduction of finger squeak.

mitchell192

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 01:13:46 PM »
Mark, My vote is with Edward. I didn't care for the tone of the 80/20's but switched to Elixir PBs and that's the tone for me, much warmer on my 712

sitedrifter

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 01:28:00 PM »
I just removed the DR Rare strings because of string buzz (not fret buzz) even though they had this awesome metallic tone I love. I replaced them with Dunlop Phosphor Bronze and while they do not sound like DR's they sound great and seem to be much better made then the DRs. Long live the quest for tone and string longevity!!
Mark

• 2012 Gretsch CVT
  • 2012 Yamaha A1M

MexicoMike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 02:59:51 PM »
Funnily enough...I would never have considered coated strings and I immediately removed the Elixers from my NOS 414ce when I bought it because the trebles were all rusty - guitar had been hanging in the shop for 4 years.  I replaced them with DAddario 80/20, which I have always liked.  But then, a month later, as the D's were going dead, decided to try some Elixer Nanos for the heck of it.  Turned out I really liked them on my 414 and that's what I've been using ever since.  :)

MikeB

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 03:21:19 PM »
Guitar Center recently had a 5 sets for $20 deal on Martin LifeSpan 80/20s, I couldn't resist so got a few sets of mediums for my 310ce and a couple of custom lights (they didn't have extra lights) for my Fender.
I was browsing the forums at the Acoustic Guitar Forum and saw a thread about this GC string deal and was surprised to see such highly-opinionated (I'm being nice) posts from people regarding strings, guitar brands and pickup systems!  :o
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 08:40:25 AM by MikeB »