Author Topic: GS Mini Hog string change  (Read 1959 times)

3Guitars

GS Mini Hog string change
« on: July 28, 2013, 03:11:23 PM »
For years, I've been using Elixir 0.11-0.52 Custom Lights on my '95 Hog/Engleman 510es. So, I decided to give them a go on my Mini Hog. With a minor adjustment to the truss rod, these strings are a winner on the Mini. I also removed the pickguard for a more "parlor look"/feel to the guitar. But if anyone was curious about Custom Lights on the Mini hog, they're great for my style, anyway. Thought I'd share that.

3Gs
1994 Fender Duo Sonic w/Fralin p'ups
1995 510e w/ES system retrofit
2012 SB-2 chambered Koa Ltd.
2013 GS Mini w/ES-Go p'up and V-cable
"If it sounds good, it is good"...Duke Ellington

DonM

Re: GS Mini Hog string change
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 05:58:27 PM »
I will have to give those a try next string change.  I am curious, when you removed the pick guard, did you have a tan line?  I just bought one used/like new, but am a bit apprehensive about removing the pick guard for fear of having tan lines.  I do like the looks with out them though

harv

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 06:53:25 PM »
loved the sound of the minis. haven't tried the hog one yet.

mikeguywest

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 03:44:50 PM »
Hey Don, don't fret about removing the pickguard. I removed mine shortly after buying it. The only noticeable tan line was due to glue residue, which came of with a cleaning with mild soapy water. I'm going to attach a video of another guy doing the same thing. I went a bit faster than he did. Keep the blow dryer on low and patiently work the guard off - no sweat. Also, you don't need any chemicals to get it off. Here's a quote from one of my comments to the video:
'I heeded the advise of a couple of posters here and loosened the strings to ease the tension on the bridge - just in case. I had my son hold the blow dryer (on lowest setting - warm not hot) as far away as possible while still being able to give some heat, lifted the bottom left point up with the plastic card, then used my fingers to slowly lift the rest of the guard. Quick (5-7 min) and easy. Kept some heat on to remove the remaining tacky stuff" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_we0Im5dotI

mikeguywest

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 01:10:34 PM »
Hey 3G's, what is your playing style? I'm thinking maybe fingerstyle or a lighter touch? I have a Mini Hog as well, and love it. However, I too had to get the truss rod adjusted to lesson the buzz/twang on the B & G strings, especially when playing a common D chord. I'm a heavy strummer so the luthier I talked to suggested moving from the medium gauge to the medium/heavy gauge as that would lesson the amount of movement of the string, thus the buzz. I haven't tried that yet, but might with my next string change just to experiment. Currently I'm using Elixir Med PB's.