Author Topic: Friends & Family Sale?  (Read 6262 times)

jalbert

• I should be practicing
Friends & Family Sale?
« on: December 11, 2011, 12:48:45 AM »
I am curious: did anyone else go to the Taylor Family & Friends sale today? (I know Brian Swerdfeger did because I saw him there.)

This is my third F&F sale and in my opinion it was the best. Out of respect for Taylor and for its dealers I'm not going to mention any specific prices but I will say they were compelling. I came home with two NOS guitars: an R. Taylor Style 2 with cedar over mahogany, and a SolidBody Classic with 3 single coil pickups and a  tremolo (think Strat). I was also able to play some guitars I've never tried before, like the GT6 and GT8. There was something for everyone, including those who play left-handed. I almost thought about learning how to play left-handed because of some of those guitars!
James

'07 GA8-12
'19 Academy 12e-N

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
Re: Friends & Family Sale?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 01:14:19 AM »
i was going to ask you about that :)

if i knew you were going, i would have asked to see if
there might have been any 'Bob's guitar shack T-shirts'
left from Fall 2008 ... it could have been possible, maybe ;)

sounds like you will have a merry christmas this year :D

any chance on seeing pics of your latest acquisitions
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 01:29:16 AM »
Yes!!!!

Inquiring minds want to know!
:)
-K
Member #34
I'm not darth.

jalbert

• I should be practicing
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 01:41:54 AM »
This is going to sound like a dumb excuse, but I haven't figured out how to resize/upload pictures yet. I'm in the process of switching over to Mac; everything I've done up to this point is in Picasa on Windows. So I guess I could re-upload the pictures over to my Windows box and then up to Picasa for everyone to see, but in the meantime just imagine a gorgeous cedar top with green heart abalone over some nice orange-ish cedar, and a transparent gray finish over alder and a white pearloid pick guard with three single coil pickups and a whammy bar. No, not all on the same guitar.
James

'07 GA8-12
'19 Academy 12e-N

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 02:10:25 AM »
Hey Jalbert,

Man I wish I knew who you were ...what ya looked like.  I was there.  Heck, we were likely bumping elbows and trading floorspace around the RT area!!

So I am beside myself as I now have to consider what to sell in the herd.  I walked out with two maples!!  An RT style 2 (always wanted a GC sized bod guit!) with "Bob's Birthday quilt" back and sides, engelmann top, coco binding and soundhole ring, and green-heart abalone rosette, and flamed maple neck ....um, riduculously gorgeous for the eyes!  And the tone is amazingly deep and rich, yes maple and GC body, you heard me, deep bass and rich tone!  Not what one immediately thinks comes to mind, but the maple, engel, and RT build makes this an amazing guitar in a diminutive package!

Then I got a NOS 2008 DN-ce Custom, almost like a twin to the RT: quilted back and sides (highly quilted, not as much as the RT, but seemingly "Limited" or "BTO" quality quilt that is full across the entire surface; very even and consistent.  Also a seemingly (by the look of it) higher-grade sitka top, abalone body binding like the 900s (!!) along with either cocobolo or rw body/fretboard binding (rich, deep brown as a striking contrast to the light maple and sitka), same soundhole ring and greenheart ablalone rosette matching the body abalone, ebony headstock, gotoh 510s, bone nut/saddle, flower fretboard inlays (like the 600s), and ES. Whoever spec'd this thing out sure missed out by not ending up buying it.   Yikes ...almost like a 900-series dred in maple!!  This along with the RT look likefraternal twins :D :D :D

Oh yeah, obviously stunning, the both of them.  But the tone on both are likewise stunning.  The dred is rich and, again, has all those things one likes about maple, but "even more" and very "full," if that makes any sense.  I'd be willing to bet anyone who finds maple thin sounding would be quite surprised by these two, particularly the little RT.

Too late to post pics, but that will come.  And be on the lookout, all, for my "For Sale" listings ...I'm gonna have to recoup here bigtime, three, maybe four guits (anyone here also play electric :) ) will be coming at ya  (hehehe, not that I'm complaining, mind you!!!)

Edward

« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 02:22:47 AM by Edward »

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 10:27:00 AM »
Edward, what does Bob's Birthday Quilt mean? Is it a specific type of quilted maple? Sounds interesting, and I'm truly happy you were able to get the maple/engelmann combo!  8)
Cindy

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 11:51:50 AM »
This is going to sound like a dumb excuse, but I haven't figured out how to resize/upload pictures yet. I'm in the process of switching over to Mac; everything I've done up to this point is in Picasa on Windows. So I guess I could re-upload the pictures over to my Windows box and then up to Picasa for everyone to see, but in the meantime just imagine a gorgeous cedar top with green heart abalone over some nice orange-ish cedar, and a transparent gray finish over alder and a white pearloid pick guard with three single coil pickups and a whammy bar. No, not all on the same guitar.

James,

It's pretty easy to upload photos using this forum software.  Just click on the "Attachments and Other Options" link, then navigate to your photo.  That's all there is to it.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

jalbert

• I should be practicing
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 11:56:07 AM »
It's pretty easy to upload photos using this forum software.  Just click on the "Attachments and Other Options" link, then navigate to your photo.  That's all there is to it.

Yes, presuming your file isn't over the size limit. That's what I'm up against. (Those pesky 18MP DSLRs!) I'll try to post something by the end of today.
James

'07 GA8-12
'19 Academy 12e-N

LindaLoo

• Lefty from across the pond
    • Home of the Automated Taylor Guitars BTO Spreadsheet
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 12:41:38 PM »
There was something for everyone, including those who play left-handed. I almost thought about learning how to play left-handed because of some of those guitars!
Ooooh!!! My ears pricked up when I read this. *starts hyperventilating*

Can you provide any details Jailbert?  :D
Hoping that one day a Taylor 1 11/16" 12 fret Grand Concert will be a BTO possibility! :)

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 12:57:50 PM »
Edward, what does Bob's Birthday Quilt mean? Is it a specific type of quilted maple? Sounds interesting, and I'm truly happy you were able to get the maple/engelmann combo!  8)
im not Edward, but i did stay at a holiday inn express once ;)

about 12 or so seconds in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulG-P3PGYE0&feature=related

another term i've also heard used is 'disneywood' -
ziricote, cocobolo, koa, macassar ebony, etc, that is
so highly 3 dimensionally figured, it looks 'animated'

it sounds like the 'maple club' is growing by leaps & bounds -
may need to have a picture thread here before too much longer  ::)

congrats on the new axes J & E :D
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

davwir

• A Coco-nut
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 11:50:07 PM »
The event was excellent in so many ways.. I made the drive down from LA, and it was so worth it.

-I got to meet some forum members, like jalbert.. Love talking about this stuff, with all of you awesome folks!
-There were definately great deals and guitars everywhere..
-A new R Taylor Style 1 followed me home! (I just posted some pix in the "Show us Pics of your Taylor" thread

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 01:00:03 AM »
Man, I have no doubt that we were all in the line together as I saw those RT cases as we wound our way to the register!  I think we're gonna have to all share our score :)

BTW, great gig, to be sure!  But on a side note, I found it notable that there seemed to be far more lefty guits there than last time, or anywhere I've ever seen for that matter!  Lots of 12-ers too!   And some very sweet LTDs that were outrageously discounted.  It was a great time to be shopping ...or at least to try some on for size. :)

And great meeting Brian there, as well!  Also got Bob to sign the back of my RT's headstock ...what can I say, I love what they do!  What a bunch of great folks ...huge  kudos to the whole Taylor crew!!!

Ed

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 09:05:00 AM »
I am soooo envious of those who were fortunate enough to attend! So about how many guitars would you say they had up for sale?
Cindy

jalbert

• I should be practicing
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 10:26:35 AM »
Hard to say, but I'd estimate between 150 and 200. Not all of them sold--in fact I recognized some from the previous sale in 2009. It was a good mix of their product line. About the only thing I don't remember seeing was a 12-fret model, but admittedly I wasn't near the front of the line. The employees get first dibs on the list the day before, so perhaps some truly interesting guitars had already been sold before the door even opened.

But definite kudos to Taylor for arranging for an espresso cart and a taco stand to be there. It was sorely tempting to have some street tacos beforehand! So I made sure to get some afterwards. For those who don't know what street tacos are, well, sorry. Come out and visit!
James

'07 GA8-12
'19 Academy 12e-N

davwir

• A Coco-nut
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 11:51:44 AM »
I think there was maybe 200 displayed out on stands at least... But it seemed they were refreshing sone of the stock and putting more out after they would sell for a while, so its hard to know what was actually available for the day...