Author Topic: How to change strings...Taylor style  (Read 13957 times)

Moose714

Re: How to change strings...Taylor style
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2013, 08:29:33 AM »
Just a question about using the Taylor method with a guitar with under saddle pick up.  In the video Rob mentions that removing all of the strings at the same time can cause a problem for the pick up.  He suggests removing tension slowly.  I called Taylor and they said since I have a CE model that I should continue to replace strings one at a time.  I would love to do a little clean up on the fretboard and much easier if all strings off at once.

Does anyone with a CE model use the Taylor method, and if so, have you had any problems or can you provide any advice or tips to be sure to not damage pick up.

thanks
Peter
2002 Taylor 714ce
1999 Fender Strat American Standard

sitedrifter

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2013, 01:47:35 PM »
This is too funny! This is the video that taught me how to change strings well before I even dreamnt about owning a Taylor. I do 1 string at a time which seems to be the revised way Taylor is doing strings now unless I am going to clean the finger board.
Mark

• 2013 Taylor 416ce-LTD (Sitka/Granadillo)
  • 2012 Gretsch CVT
  • 2012 Yamaha A1M

MexicoMike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2013, 11:17:28 AM »
IMO...

I looked at the Taylor video and my reaction was, why would I do that?  I see no advantage to it, only disadvantage.

I've been stringing guitars for more years than I care to mention and there can be NO issues with stringing the guitar with the string and, after pulling them up to pitch, clipping off the excess.  Clipping it first can cause unraveling as noted on some strings AND a possibility of cutting it to the wrong length.  That's "operator error?"  Sure, but why not eliminate the possibility completely?

The string winds DOWN toward the peg head to ensure decent break across the nut.  Also, the minimum amount of string on the peg needed to provide holding and downbearing on the nut provides better tuning stability.  The more turns of string on the peg, the more time it takes for tuning to settle.

Single string or all at once?  Whatever you want to do.  It doesn't matter to the instrument OTHER than the fact that if you remove them all at once, tuning stability will take a bit longer as the neck totally relaxes and then has to curve again when the strings are brought up to pitch.  If you are in a hurry for stability, do it one at a time.  If you can wait an hour before it has to play on stage or wherever, then all at once will be fine.

Again, the above is MY OPINION based on a lot of years of doing this on steel and nylon stringed guitars.  But it is just an opinion.

uberschall

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2013, 07:23:22 PM »
I think it's pretty cool and have been using it with my Taylors, but they stay in tune great even with my normal method. I do one string at a time unless I'm cleaning.

Moose714

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2013, 06:00:16 PM »
thanks for the feedback.  I figure that they have to all come off for any major cleaning or repair work.  Just didn't want to create an issue with pick up.
thanks
Peter
2002 Taylor 714ce
1999 Fender Strat American Standard