Author Topic: Murder most foul  (Read 1348 times)

bandit59

Murder most foul
« on: March 31, 2013, 03:20:28 AM »
Well I've been playing string roulette lately on the 410ce and haven't found anything I really hated until now. D'addario phosphor bronze worked well but squeak a lot so I tried some Martin sp phosphor bronze. The sound has been MURDERED. Never before has a brand new set been removed straight away but as soon as I get a chance to grab another set they're gone, it is an abomination no less!!
They sound a little dead & have a kind of 'buzzing' quality to them, not fret buzz or anything like that, just a sound characteristic I can't describe in any other way.
Taylor 410ce  (2012)
Epiphone 'Roy Orbison' 12 string
Eastman AC412 om
Eastman AR503ce

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
Re: Murder most foul
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 09:49:05 AM »
I've never used Martin PB's, but it's possible that they (like Elixers) require a couple of hours of break-in time.  Elixers always sound a little dead to me when I first put them on, and it takes a little bit of playing before I start to detect a pulse.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 02:35:37 PM »
I would agree with Dennis. Be sure and give them some time before you give up on them. I just put a set of Martin Marquis 80/20 on my 618e and it took a couple days before they sounded right to me.
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

dcarey

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 06:37:01 PM »
Another vote to wait at least a few hours! I've experienced the same thing with Elixir and Martin strings. Things gotta stretch & settle in before they can be condemned.

Personally, I usually prefer John Pearse Phosphor Bronze strings.

Dan
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Maynard9089

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 07:56:32 AM »
I have found I prefer the Martin strings. I like John Pearse strings as well but the Martins seem to last longer IMO.
2012 Taylor 414ce
2013 Taylor GS-Mini Mahogany

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 01:25:05 PM »
Too many good string options out there to compromise, IMHO.  Why wait!  If a string set doesn't sound right, play right, and last with good tone throughout its usable lifespan  (this one is very important to me), why bother waiting to see if that set will work for you when it clearly does not.  Were there only a few options, then I'd say sure, patience grasshopper.  But with so many fine choices out there, simply find the set that works best and be done with it.  That's one more box to check off , IMHO. :)

Edward

MartinD

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 06:32:35 PM »
Martin Lifespan SP Phosphor Bronze Custom Light .011/.052  Picked up a 3 pack cheap from stings and beyond.  Sounds fantastic on my Takamine.  They don't seem to last as long as D'Addario Exp16's but I would in no way describe them as poor.  I guess sound is really subjective. But then again, I prefer phosphor bronze to 80/20
Colossians 3:17

2013 Taylor 314 CE
2007 Taylor DN-5
Takamine EF-340scgn
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
UltraSound AG50-DS4 Acoustic Amp
Roland 15x Cube