Author Topic: Elixir Nano PB coating fuzzing  (Read 3465 times)

Jannie

Elixir Nano PB coating fuzzing
« on: December 31, 2011, 10:14:49 PM »
I've just been trying out picks on my new GC3 and the G string is getting a fuzzy like hairy surface I guess from the picks, all of the other strings are fine. I posetd on the ACGF and got a few responses, but I'm unsure if maybe I shouldn't be using a pick on these, they are the lights with the Nanoweb coating. Are they more of a string just for fingerpicking with the coatings? I'm completely new to steel string guitars.

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
Re: Elixir Nano PB coating fuzzing
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 11:05:59 PM »
No, there's absolutely no reason why new coated strings should start coming apart from using a pick, unless they're not actually new.  It's possible that the guitar was heavily played in the store where you bought it.  But I bash the heck out of my nano lights with a pick, and I've never experienced the problem you describe.  Got any idea how old the strings are?
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

dangrunloh

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 11:06:19 PM »
They all get fuzzy over time and has no effect that I can tell.  I only play with picks, never fingers.  The coating helps up on the fretboard to limit finger squeaks and prevent corrosion there.  I've tried other strings but like the Elixers on my Taylor specifically because it is so bright and responsive that finger squeaks really stand out.  I especially like the sound of the middle strings G-D-A when picked with a heavy gauge pick. The tone is divine on my 414.

You have PB's on your Taylor?  They come with 80/20's from the factory.  I go back and forth.  Love the PB's for strumming but not so much for playing melody where I prefer the pure tone of the 80/20s.

dangrunloh

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 11:16:25 PM »
After reading Dennis post I got out a strong magnifying glass and bright light and inspected my Elixer strings now about 25 hours on this set.  Honestly I can only see the fuzz on the G and the D. There is no trace on the two heaviest though they do have a slight change in coloration right at the pick zone.  I use picks from thin tortex to heavy gators.

byrd

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 01:25:07 AM »
My guitar was right out of the box when I got about 3 weeks ago.  I've been playing about an hour or more a day.  It's been about 75% with a pick 25% without.  I'd say that within 2 weeks the D and G strings began showing signs of fuzz.  It doesn't bother me much as long as they still sound good.  In the past few days or so though I have started to notice some discoloration up on the first few frets.  Again primarily the D and G stings.  This got me to wondering about the need for replacement more than the fuzz did.  They still sound good, but my old guitar was so bad that anything else probably still sounds like a big improvement. 

I figure I'll still push it for at least another week. At that point they'll easily have over 30 hours on 'em.  If I replace them and there's not a big sound improvement, then I'll just wait longer next time.

Jannie

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 10:31:52 AM »
Decided not to worry about it, the guitar for my ears sounds a bit bright/harsh in the higher notes/chords when I use a pick so I'll put off learning to use one, I've chosen a couple of picks that I do like so I'll have them if I decide to go this way at a later date.

I also filed down my nails which I'd been using for fingerpicking, just to mellow out the treble strings, just a thing to help the way I hear it, no disregard toward the guitar but I do hope it mellows out a bit as I use it.

I will also consider non coated strings, my fingers are not caustic, and very dry. I played regular wound basses on my classical and got pretty good at avoiding squeeking so I'll probably start asking questions about different string choices when these need replacing.

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 05:29:24 PM »
Are the strings the original strings, or did the store change them before you bought the guitar. I'm just wondering if you might have Elixir Polyweb's on instead of the 80/20s. Polyweb strings are like having a nylon stocking pulled over the string. I used to use them, but when the coating got old, it looked like the strings got pilled (like the pilling you might find on a sweatshirt or certain laundry items).
Cindy

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 10:09:49 PM »
hi Jannie,
t would be fine to leave them on, imho, until you feel that there is a change in tone

i was just wondering if the wound strings are copper or gold in apeearance,
as your GC3 should have orignally come with Elixir 80/20 NanoWebs

the PolyWebs have a much thicker coating, as the strings are wound the coated &
are more 'white' in appearance, which is most noticeable at the bridge pins

i believe the NanoWeb PBs have a thinner coating than the NanoWeb 80/20s,
so they may have a 'less slippery' feeling than the Nano (& Poly) 80/20s

i used NanoWeb 80/20 on a 314ce & after 2 weeks (around 50 hr, or so, play time),
the picking & fretting areas on the wound strings were dark & 'fuzzy' -
tonally, they were not 'dead', but i decided to have them changed at point
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales

• Veteran Member
    • LA Guitar Sales
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 12:51:00 AM »
I've just been trying out picks on my new GC3 and the G string is getting a fuzzy like hairy surface I guess from the picks, all of the other strings are fine. I posetd on the ACGF and got a few responses, but I'm unsure if maybe I shouldn't be using a pick on these, they are the lights with the Nanoweb coating. Are they more of a string just for fingerpicking with the coatings? I'm completely new to steel string guitars.

It simply means your strings are getting older. Once I see "fuzzing" on coated strings I tend replace them but tonally they can still have plenty of life left in them.

Jake_Henry

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 02:44:14 PM »
I love Elixir Nanoweb strings... and they always get fuzzy after awhile of playing.  Just get new strings I'd say!  I love the tone and feel of them.  Maybe try the D'Addario EXP, a nice second choice with no fuzz.
2001 w12ce