Author Topic: 414ce or 416ce?? Help me decide!  (Read 9794 times)

John Puentes

414ce or 416ce?? Help me decide!
« on: March 25, 2013, 01:04:59 AM »
Hi all.
I recently joined the forum and started a post regarding a used 814ce which I was considering buying
Well, after mulching over the numerous responses (thanks!), and considering factors such as the age of the guitar, no warranty, unknown history, etc.....
I decided that I would be better off purchasing a new Taylor, for similar cost.
I have narrowed it down (I think) to two models: 414ce or 416ce.
These models are both available, new, for the same cost as the used 814ce.
They both seem to to fit the bill for what I am looking for.
I do all flat-picking, both lead and rhythmic strumming and/or open picked chording, along with singing, both originals and my own arrangements of covers. I can get to strumming fairly hard, but also like to change it up and get really soft. So I need a guitar with lots of range.
I want a guitar that projects well, and would be good for live performing, both with and without amplification.
I also want an acoustic guitar that will work well for leads (I play electric as well, and I tend to to want to play lead on the acoustic like I'm used to on the electric). (Has to have a cutaway).
I do a lot of string bending, double notes, pull-offs, and melodic runs. CS&N, Moby Grape, Beatles, The Band, Eagles, the Dead, Joe Walsh, Steve Miller, etc.
From what I've read about the 414ce and 416ce, both of these guitars would be good models for my needs/desires (and in my price range).
Here's my biggest problem: there are no stores near by where I can go try either model!
(Closest place would be Chicago: about a 3 hour drive).
So....after much research and thought, I am very strongly considering purchasing online, sight unseen (other than online pictures), through Sweetwater (hopefully it's ok to mention the store).
I've spoken with a sales rep, a couple times,  and feel pretty good about their warranty, reputation, etc.
I would appreciate any and all thoughts and comments, both regarding the models of Taylors I am considering, and my intention of buying online.
Thanks! 8)
Martin GPCPA5K
Alvarez Yairi DY59 Anniversary Edition
Gretsch Chet Atkins Nashville model
Taylor 414ce

oatordeal

• Veteran Member
  • Manila, Philippines
Re: 414ce or 416ce?? Help me decide!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 04:46:44 AM »
I say go with the 414ce! I am a flat picker myself that sings too. But I also love to play some lead parts every now and then especially playing blues. the GA body is versatile and can handle what you described.  :D Good luck!
Best regards,
Nims

814ce 2012
GS Mini Hog 2015
'52ri Fender Telecaster 2007

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 08:45:27 AM »
414ce. They're both good guitars, but if you're an electric guitarist, you'll have a smoother transition to the 414ce (light gauge strings) than the 416ce (medium gauge strings - I've tried a 16 with light gauge strings, and it loses its "GS" character) . I'm also a strummer/picker who can get fairly aggressive with my strum, and all my grand auditoriums below are up to the task. The GA (X14) remains the most versatile guitar among Taylor's offerings IMHO.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

rolleiguy54

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 09:35:51 AM »
Moby Grape? I have not heard their name for a long time.
 I'd love to hear you. What direction from Chicago are you?
Good luck with your choice.

GSMC Bob

• Gloria & Bob Music
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 09:44:55 AM »
Acoustically the 416ce will put out dreadnought type volume and bass, but with more articulation and more balance.  The GS body will handle an agressive attack and out power the 414ce in terms of headroom and bass response.  The 414ce is the now classic GA body style that most people think of when they think "Taylor" and the "modern" guitar sound they more or less invented.  The 414ce has a very balanced but less bold sound that will sit better in a mix.  The GS will take up more sonic space.  The GA body feels much smaller because of the slightly smaller lower bout and the severely tucked waist as compared to the GS.  That makes it feel a little more intimate.  I think the volume issues are a moot point if you are plugging in anyway.  In fact, I think that very often a sligntly smaller body has a better amplified tone.

If that used 814ce at the same price is fairly new, you might want to consider that.  In 2009 the 814ce got the new CV bracing (the 4 series guitars still use the Standard II bracing) and the ES electronics were significantly improved in 2010.  So if that 814ce is a 2010 and you like the GA body style, give it some consideration, although you will sacrifice not having a warranty by not buying new.

John Puentes

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 10:38:51 AM »
Thanks all!
All very helpful responses.
I was starting to lean toward the 816ce, but after hearing about the medium gauge string being standard for the 816, verses light gauge being standard for the 814, now I'm back to the 814.
I really do love to play lead, and as I like bending strings, light gauge works must better.
Sounds like the 814ce would be the most versatile and serve my wants/needs best.

Moby Grape? I have not heard their name for a long time.
 I'd love to hear you. What direction from Chicago are you?
Good luck with your choice.
Yeah, Moby Grape. I threw that name out there just to see who might pick up on it.
I have their first album (the actual original LP). I love that album. Such diversity. Not a bad song on it.
They were like the Buffalo Springfield/CS&N type band that quickly blossomed and then faded into oblivion, but were every bit as good.
My favorite song I do is 8:05, but I'm working on a few more.
To answer your question, I'm about 150 miles southwest of Chicago.

As far as the used 814ce, it was made in 2000, and has the older flip out Fischman electronics.
It seems to be in good shape, but I think I'd rather get something new, with a warranty.

Martin GPCPA5K
Taylor 414ce

John Puentes

Re: 414ce or 416ce: UPDATE!
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 01:40:56 AM »
Thanks in part to the help I received from this forum, I decided on the 414ce, of which I am now a proud and happy owner. ;D
Ordered from Sweetwater on Thursday and was delivered FedEx Friday morning, 24 hours later.
After allowing it to acclimate, I finally got to hold and play my new baby!
And very sweet she is! Within an hour, I had bonded with my new instrument and knew I'd made the right choice.
Beautiful sound, plays like a dream, great tone and projection, and I love the wood grain, both front and back.
The particular one I chose (was able to view pictures of several online) has some very unique "birdseyes" in the back.
Anyway, thanks again to all for your input. 8)
Martin GPCPA5K
Taylor 414ce

MartinD

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 06:00:11 AM »
Congratulations on a beautiful new guitar.  I used to live in Illinois so I will encourage you to use a humidification system right away.  My brother had a disaster with his 910 when his forgot to check the dampit and discovered a crack had already begun to develop. He now uses an Oasis because it's inexpensive to use, and easy to visually check when it needs refilling.  Enjoy!
Colossians 3:17

2013 Taylor 314 CE
2007 Taylor DN-5
Takamine EF-340scgn
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
UltraSound AG50-DS4 Acoustic Amp
Roland 15x Cube

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 06:18:40 AM »
Congrats......it's beautiful. I love my 414. I think you made a great choice. Have fun.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

oatordeal

• Veteran Member
  • Manila, Philippines
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 07:07:05 AM »
congrats on the new 414ce!
Best regards,
Nims

814ce 2012
GS Mini Hog 2015
'52ri Fender Telecaster 2007

John Puentes

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 09:41:04 AM »
In regards to humidification, I keep all of my guitars, electric and acoustic, in a music studio room I built onto my house (besides being a musician, I'm a general contractor). The room is about 400 ft2 (16 x 25).
The entire floor is hardwood (hickory), so the humidity is good for the floor, as well.
Also, the hardwood floor acts like a humidity control itself, because once everything is at a constant humidity, the floor has to dry out before the humidity will drop a lot.
I keep the entire room at a constant temperature of 70 degrees year round, and maintain humidity between 45 and 50%.
I discovered a while back the importance of maintaining the right humidity  :'( (but fortunately avoided any major trauma to my best instruments  :P ).
I use a room humidifier that has a humidistat on it, so it makes it easy. Cost around $50 and holds enough water to last two days (in the winter). I also keep a separate humidity/temperature reader in the room that monitors both inside and outside temp/humidity.
For heat and AC I use a heat pump type split unit (sort of like you'd have in a motel room).
It is electric, highly efficient, and both heats and cools.
Already, with spring here, and less heating, the humidifier is running  a lot less.
Soon, with this midwest weather, I'll be removing humidity from the air.
Needless to say, it is the most comfortable room in my house (which my wife occasionally reminds me of!). ;)
Martin GPCPA5K
Taylor 414ce

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 11:45:03 AM »
Congrats on adding the 414 to your mix.  Great guitar and should give you a lifetime of enjoyment!

Most of us have gone through that  "this one or that one?" considerations, and can appreciate the thought process behind it all.  Now the tough decision: which one to play?  No doubt that 414 is going to get a lot of play time!  :)

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

John Puentes

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 02:08:30 PM »
  Now the tough decision: which one to play?   :)

Best wishes,
Captain Jim

That's easy: all of them! As often as possible!  ;)
Martin GPCPA5K
Taylor 414ce

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 02:30:17 PM »
Congrats John! Great choice. Glad to hear the bonding has begun.  :)
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 04:43:12 PM »
Very pretty axe ...I'm sure you'll love the tone more and more with each new session. God bless!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood