Author Topic: Anyone Know Why Taylor's Cost So Much?  (Read 20488 times)

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
Re: Anyone Know Why Taylor's Cost So Much?
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2013, 01:47:48 AM »
 "Anyone Know Why Taylor's Cost So Much?"

Ask me in 20 years.  :)

Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

sitedrifter

« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2013, 06:39:38 AM »
I do not think Taylors cost that much more (if at all) in comparing similar guitars. I just purchased a 416CE LTD for a stupid price (brand new) and even if I got it at the higher sale price of $XXXX it is still a better value then Taylors main competitor, Martin. I compared the 416ce toa DC-16OGTE Martin and I was a bit taken back on how much plastic (Richlite/Boltaron) and non specific wood (neck) is used on the Martin guitars I was looking at. I am sure nothing is wrong with the materials but when I decided to by an American made guitar, I wanted wood and not plastic. With the Taylor, only the nut and saddle are synthetic which is fine by me whereas the rest of the guitar is wood and the type of wood is specified. If you want to talk expensive acoustics, let's say the word, Gibson.  Gibson was my second choice but the cost for even their lowest USA made series was not justifiable in my mind when I was comparing it to the Taylor.

All in all after researching guitars for a weeks I found prices are comparable between most USA made brands but features and materials within those brands are not.

edited for price
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 10:57:04 AM by UTGF-Team »
Mark

• 2013 Taylor 416ce-LTD (Sitka/Granadillo)
  • 2012 Gretsch CVT
  • 2012 Yamaha A1M

rlj98

« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2013, 03:23:45 AM »
They do, but no more so than anything else.  The price I paid for my Hohner HG320 in 1978, after being adjusted for inflation, would today buy two Taylor 110's, with some left over.  The Hohner is a really good guitar, but the 110 is unquestionably better made and sounds quite a bit better.  The higher numbered Taylor series do get pretty expensive, but then they also have a lot of trim (maybe too much for some tastes).  I don't think I could justify buying anything more expensive than the 500 series, unless I really thought I needed an all koa guitar.  But to get to your main point, trying to justify buying the Taylor -- if it sounds good and you can still afford to eat, you did it.
1978 Hohner HG320
Cordoba C7
2012 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany w/ GHS Laurence Juber PB strings
Taylor DN3   

Just me and some lonely wooden music floatin' through the air
The grass is rustlin' and the birds are singin' and my heart don't have a care
--Tom Johnston