Author Topic: Pickguard Scratches ... Can Anything Remove Them?  (Read 5482 times)

Afixer

Pickguard Scratches ... Can Anything Remove Them?
« on: March 15, 2013, 06:18:31 AM »
Hi all! After playing my old Yammy FG-441S to death I decided to take things up a notch with a Taylor 414ce. I know I shouldn't be too overly concerned with appearance ... but, the previous owner of this otherwise pristine (see photos) 2006 model got carried away with his pick and left the top pretty scratched up :( .  If this was a Strat I'd just buff it out but with this Taylor's finish I'm not too sure what to do to remove or at least lessen the darn scratches on an otherwise pristine example of fine American craftsmanship. Anyone here with any ideas? All replies welcome. Thanks!  Mike :)

Nomad

• Veteran Member
Re: Pickguard Scratches ... Can Anything Remove Them?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 01:23:29 PM »
One word: "Refin".

Let it go. Those scratches aren't going away either easily nor inexpensively.

kprusac

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 01:32:30 PM »
It pretty easy and fairly cheap to replace the pick guard if you want. The Taylor website sells replacements and a luthier or tech could do the job if you can't.

Here's the link: https://www.taylorguitars.com/taylorware/Item.aspx?itemid=1205&categoryid=1009&page=1
2006 414ce
2008 114ce
2012 GS Mini Hog
2014 316ce
2016 GS Mini-e Koa
Others I won't mention........

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 01:55:12 PM »
It pretty easy and fairly cheap to replace the pick guard if you want. The Taylor website sells replacements and a luthier or tech could do the job if you can't.

Here's the link: https://www.taylorguitars.com/taylorware/Item.aspx?itemid=1205&categoryid=1009&page=1

I don't think it's really the pickguard scratches he's concerned about, at least not when I consider the photos.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 02:51:37 PM »
A fine autopolish is what you need.  Many have done this (including myself) to knock down a satin fin to a gloss.  It's easy enough to use such a fine polish to mitigate light surface scratches.  Go easy and light by hand and you can get all but the deepest marks.

Edward

Afixer

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 03:56:30 PM »
A fine autopolish is what you need.  Many have done this (including myself) to knock down a satin fin to a gloss.  It's easy enough to use such a fine polish to mitigate light surface scratches.  Go easy and light by hand and you can get all but the deepest marks.

Edward

That's the direction I was heading. Although I'd like to avoid putting a gloss finish in just one area ... then I'd have to do the whole thing. I was just wondering how to go about getting rid (or at least lessening) the scratches in the finish. Thanks all for your responses so far. If anyone else can chime in on their experiences with the Taylor finish I'd appreciate it.

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 04:20:47 PM »
If scratches in the finish were all you were dealing with, this would be easy.

You have scratches into the wood, and that's an entirely different ballgame.

Godspeed.

GSMC Bob

• Gloria & Bob Music
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 05:07:14 PM »
I think a few folks who replied did not look at the photos! ;D  The title of the thread would lead you to believe we are talking about "pickguard scratches".  If you look, you'll notice that the finish is worn through in places and the wood appears to be worn in places as well (bottom of the soundhole and below the pickguard) along with what appear to be plenty of depressions/gouges in the top.  Ain't no topical ointment gonna fix that!  If that's just not a mirage caused by the camera angle and lighting, a fill and refinish of the top would be needed to restore the guitar (which, by the way, has a gloss top to begin with... it's the back/sides that are satin).

To the OP, I say if the guitar was not misrepresented and you got what you paid for... well, play the heck out of it and be happy.  At least you won't have to be the one to give the guitar it's first (second, third, fourth...) scratch.  It's all cosmetic and won't affect tone or playability.  Looks like a great workhorse... a gigging machine!!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 05:11:16 PM by GSMC Bob »

Afixer

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 05:33:40 PM »
To the OP, I say if the guitar was not misrepresented and you got what you paid for... well, play the heck out of it and be happy.  At least you won't have to be the one to give the guitar it's first (second, third, fourth...) scratch.  It's all cosmetic and won't affect tone or playability.  Looks like a great workhorse... a gigging machine!!

No, it's the camera angle. There are just major swipes from a pick on the surface. Not deep into the wood. Your right though ... it is just cosmetic ... I just wanted to ... make it look new again.

GSMC Bob

• Gloria & Bob Music
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 07:12:07 PM »
Good to know, because they look pretty bad in the photos!  Taylor techs use Turtle Wax Express Shine to polish the very hard UV-cured polyester finish Taylor has been using for the last decade and a half or so.  I don't think that is going to help much, however.... so if you want "new", a refinish is still in order.  You could call Taylor customer service for a price on that.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 07:41:20 PM »
I dunno ...I'm not seeing major scratches from what I can tell ...maybe my crummy computer? ;)
The top is already gloss factory fin right?  If so then a fine polish used with care and common sense will not make one area shiny ...because the top is already glossy!  Now the satin back ...that's a whole nuther story...

Edward

PureTone

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 01:37:32 AM »
The scratches around the rosette are to the bare wood and it is not possible to buff out the finish that isn't there.
Using a polish, wax or rubbing compound will discolor the wood.

Refinishing the top of the guitar is the only option to make it look like new, as any other type of repair will be visible.

With those playing marks I think the previous owner used the guitar aggressively for the purpose it was intended and I'll bet it sounds great with over 6 years under its belt.

Congratulations on the 414CE and go put some marks of your own on it 8)