Author Topic: Humidity repair?  (Read 927 times)

nickw22

Humidity repair?
« on: March 11, 2013, 02:50:07 PM »
I recently bought a Martin D-1 from a guy that was unaware of humidity issues. The guitar looks like its in great condition (no cracks, fret ends are not sticking out) but it is beginning to dip downward between the sound hole and the bridge. I just saw a video of Bob Taylor fixing this problem by using a few dampits and covering the sound hole. My question is, do I have to use dampits and cover the sound hole or can I just use a regular humidifier (oasis OH-1) and kep it in the case for a week or so? I bought the OH-1 before I saw Bob Taylor doing the dampit trick. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Louis

• Alberta Canada
Re: Humidity repair?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 05:48:01 PM »
I read here a while back on the forums about some one having the same type of issue and he said he took a paint  tray filled it with water and put and enclosed his taylor over it. But i would think what you are planning on doing would work but mabye take longer.
Taylor 315ce Jumbo 2010
Bose L1’s (2)
Fender F65--1977
Taylor 12 string 356ce

Fender Strat - 50's special edition (red)
Heil. Fin  microphone
Fender 512 sub woofer
Digiteck 3 vocal harmonizer

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 06:16:55 PM »
It's been a while since I watched Bob Taylor's video using the Damp-It, but if I am remembering correctly, he keeps the sound hole covered initially but at some point he clipped the rubber thingie directly onto the strings so both the sound hole and the fretboard/case also received the benefit of humidification. If you have something that will humidify both the sound hole and the case's interior (without over humidifying), you should be quite all right. Personally I use a plastic soap box with holes drilled in the top and insert a damp sponge. That works to humidify the fretboard and the case's interior then I also use a Kyser sound hole humidifier. There are many different options available. If you have a way to measure the humidity level inside the guitar with a hygrometer, that would be your best indication whether or not your method is working. :)
Cindy

Louis

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 10:14:13 AM »
  I do the exactly the  same thing as you Cindy, with the soap case and holes drilled, with a sponge inside for the fret board, and use the Kyser for the sound hole.
Taylor 315ce Jumbo 2010
Bose L1’s (2)
Fender F65--1977
Taylor 12 string 356ce

Fender Strat - 50's special edition (red)
Heil. Fin  microphone
Fender 512 sub woofer
Digiteck 3 vocal harmonizer