Author Topic: Were are all the "Vintage Taylor Guitars"  (Read 22736 times)

BrianNY

Re: Where are all the "Vintage Taylor Guitars"
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 07:56:48 PM »
Here's my 1988 510 model - much simpler appointments than the similar model today.  The Schaller tuners say "Made in W. Germany" and the label (with 4 digit serial # in the 6000's) says Santee, CA!  Kinda dinged up but it's been my main axe for over 20 years!

MexicoMike

• Veteran Member
Re: Were are all the "Vintage Taylor Guitars"
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 09:08:19 AM »
IMO, Taylor hasn't been around long enough to have what I'd call a "vintage" guitar!  Give them another 50 years.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 10:27:50 AM »
I may be a little late posting....
I have a 1978 Taylor 710 .

Welcome to the board!
...now post a pic of that guit, will ya?!!!  :D

Edward

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 10:33:17 AM »
IMO, Taylor hasn't been around long enough to have what I'd call a "vintage" guitar!  Give them another 50 years.
Easy there big guy ...the OP put "vintage" in quotes.  Let's not get too literal here as we all know that 1974 doesn't constitute ancient history, but it is a notable history, nonetheless.  :D

Hey Brian,
Kudos to you for a 20-year gigging axe!  That's history in my book ...you rock!  I hope to get there one day with my acoustics, but for me, it's my Strat I bought in 1980.  Gotta love [/i] the guits that stick with you through it all, eh!  :D

Edward
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 10:35:02 AM by Edward »

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 07:24:12 PM »
companies like Taylor & larrivee are likened to spring chickens, when compared to martin or gibson -
when a company radically changes their build process, it can mark the end of an "era" & the start of another

some companies are bought out, their quality control suffers &, due to lack of sales or ineffective marketing, die off

Taylor built guitars for the first two years under the westland music co name,
but it wasn't until 76 that the company was officially Taylor quality guitars -
for a guitar made when the company was in its infancy & with so many major changes being made,
some consider the late 90s preNT neck models to be a "golden era", the original design guitars made
in lemon grove or santee could  be considered "vintage", as there were no CNC or UV finish processes

martin's vintage period is considered to be pre-war & if it weren't for oliver ditson & co, who knows
when martin may have gotten around to building steel string dreadnought acoustic guitars

maybe the correct term would be "classic", as the preNT neck & preStandard II bracing have been considered
a "classic" neck & bracing pattern & in a few more years, the earliest models might be considered "antiques" ... or not

age is not the only criteria that the "vintage" label requires -
the product should be desirable & ideally the company is still in business

it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

cpmusic

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 08:23:34 PM »
I saw this 1983 Taylor K-20 on craigslist today and thought about this thread.
Not to be contrary, but I question whether that's an '83 model. I'm not aware of any koa Taylors being built at the time, much less with a koa top, and I don't think Taylor had yet designed that signature bridge or used the "smile" bridge pin layout at that time. My '83 615 and, I think, most other "Lemon Grove" models came with a generic style bridge (pictures to follow).
Chris

cpmusic

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2013, 08:44:21 PM »
Here's my 1983 615, from the Lemon Grove shop. Aside of the nice curl in the back it's about as plain as any Taylor ever made, with a rosewood bridge and fretboard, plain MOP fret markers, a simple ring rosette, and a decal headstock logo. Even the tuners are plain, looking like Schaller knock-offs. (That's an M1 pickup in the soundhole with a painted cap.)

Not that I'm complaining, mind you. I like plain, and I wouldn't trade this guitar for a new Taylor.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 08:46:51 PM by cpmusic »
Chris

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2013, 01:50:24 AM »
I saw this 1983 Taylor K-20 on craigslist today and thought about this thread.
Not to be contrary, but I question whether that's an '83 model. I'm not aware of any koa Taylors being built at the time, much less with a koa top, and I don't think Taylor had yet designed that signature bridge or used the "smile" bridge pin layout at that time. My '83 615 and, I think, most other "Lemon Grove" models came with a generic style bridge (pictures to follow).
Taylor was building with koa in 83 -
before the X12 model was rolled out in 84, there were some X12 prototypes &
i believe Chris Proctor had a florentine cutaway koa model with a 1 7/8" nut

the contour bridge covers the belly style one & it's possible that guitar had the bridge replaced -
i had a 97 414kce with a pinless bridge & when the guitar was being "restored" at Taylor,
the pinless bridge was replaced with a pin bridge & the satin top refinished in gloss

support indie musicians

mauisunset

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2013, 12:38:32 PM »
the contour bridge covers the belly style one & it's possible that guitar had the bridge replaced -
i had a 97 414kce with a pinless bridge & when the guitar was being "restored" at Taylor,
the pinless bridge was replaced with a pin bridge & the satin top refinished in gloss[/font][/size][/color]
I, too, have a 97 414ce with a pinless bridge, but I didn't realize they would replace that and refinish the top at the factory.  Do you think it improved the guitar, michaelw?  Could you share the cost?  Just curious...
1. 1997 414ce (Sitka/African Mahogany, pinless bridge, satin finish)
2. 2007 Baby (BT1)
3. 2002 Fender CIJ Telecaster w/ Bigsby & Mastery Bridge
4. 2012 Builder's Reserve VII (12 fret Hog)

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2013, 02:25:29 PM »
I, too, have a 97 414ce with a pinless bridge, but I didn't realize they would replace that and refinish the top at the factory.  Do you think it improved the guitar, michaelw?  Could you share the cost?  Just curious...
the top of the guitar sustained playwear damage to the point that the soundhole was almost no longer round,
the bridge was lifting, the frets were all but gone & the neck, back & sides had deep scratches & nicks -
the work was done a good 10 years ago & did not perceptibly impact the tone, as the setup & fretwork helped

the cost will vary depending on the condition of the instrument in question, but short of the guitar
being in a condition to where repairs need to be done to restore playability & structural integrity,
i would not choose to have a bridge replacement & top finish done for aesthetic reasons -
personally, i'd keep the satin top & pinless bridge, reglue the bridge if needed & be on the
"lookout" for a deal on a previously loved, but well taken care of, 316 to add to the fold ;)

support indie musicians

mauisunset

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2013, 04:59:03 PM »
Good to know, michaelw.  I like the satin finish anyhow and the pinless bridge adds to the uniqueness of my first Taylor.  I plan to never sell it. 
1. 1997 414ce (Sitka/African Mahogany, pinless bridge, satin finish)
2. 2007 Baby (BT1)
3. 2002 Fender CIJ Telecaster w/ Bigsby & Mastery Bridge
4. 2012 Builder's Reserve VII (12 fret Hog)

cpmusic

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2013, 08:16:00 PM »
the pinless bridge was replaced with a pin bridge & the satin top refinished in gloss[/font][/size][/color]
I'm actually surprised by either change, not because of any real or perceived vintage value, but because it's not a straight match. By contrast, when Taylor replaced the bridge on my 615 (the original developed a crack across the pin holes) they hand-cut a new bridge to match the old one. That may  have been a practical matter since they stopped making rosewood bridges years before and had changed the pin hole arrangement at least once (I think they were in the "smile" phase at the time) but I appreciated that they kept the original appearance.
Chris

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2013, 08:59:49 PM »
the repair department suggested the pin bridge, which i agreed with for break angle & less propensity to lift later on &
the gloss finish top, to bring the aesthetics in-line with the 300/400s being made at that time & it turned out perfectly  -
granted it was not a lemon grove model, but it was a first year production 414 & the koa back & sides made it
a bit different than the standard model. the electronics were upgraded to the fishman stereo blender from the
previous prefix unit, gold grovers with ebony buttons replaced the chrome tuners & the most miniscule bit of
"bling" with abalone dot bridge pins replacing the plain ebony ones, while the nut & saddle remained tusq

at that point, the guitar was the one of the best spruce/koa grand auditoriums i had set hands & ears on,
it had been played hard & put up wet & i had no intention other than to continue to play & enjoy it, so
Taylor pulled out all the stops & i was more than happy with the results ... i still have a heavily worn 97 414K,
but that guitar will always stay the way that it is because there is a story behind it, which is very personal

i had an 86 model 510 that had a belly style bridge & i've seen pictures of other 86 models that have the contour bridge -
at this time, the bridges would have been carved by hand because the first Fadal that Taylor had was still about 3 years away

since the bridges at that time were individually shaped, there were some variances -
i have seen some 89 models where the bridge pins were not in a "smiley" arc, but a "v"

anyways, i did what was right for my guitar & you did what's right for yours ... cool  8)

support indie musicians

mikeguywest

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2013, 11:24:05 AM »
Here's a couple of shots of a '78 555 #830 I just saw on TG FB page.

cpmusic

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2013, 11:56:26 AM »
anyways, i did what was right for my guitar & you did what's right for yours ... cool  8)
I'm sorry if I gave any offense; I assure you it was not intentional. I was just a little puzzled. As you say, you did what was right for your guitar, and you got a great story to go along with it. More power to you!
Chris