Author Topic: Boost for Balanced Signal Chain  (Read 1062 times)

SnowDad

Boost for Balanced Signal Chain
« on: February 24, 2013, 10:56:47 AM »
I'm totally new here.  Just joined today and this is my first post.  Anyway, I am running a 2011 314ce (ES equipped) with balanced signal directly into a PA  (TRS to XLR cable).  I have been searching high and low for a pedal or a preamp (like a mic preamp, that I can plug a footswitch into to activate it) to give me a boost when I go to a solo.  I play in an acoustic group that plays a lot of rock music.

I'm considering an adapter with transformer (there are several out there) to convert from balanced to unbalanced before the boost, then it would be unbalanced out of the boost pedal to the PA.  Then the options are plentiful.  But, I would like to keep a balanced signal all the way to the PA.  I don't use any other effects.

I figured this topic has been covered before, but couldn't find anything specific to this.  Is anybody else doing this?  I would like to hear what works well and what doesn't.

Thanks!

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
Re: Boost for Balanced Signal Chain
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 12:58:31 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

I would use an impedance transformer going into the effects pedal and then, using a very short cable, connect a DI unit like the Radial Pro DI Passive Direct Box to the output of the effects pedal.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-RAD-PRODI-LIST?src=Y0802G00SRCHCAPN&gclid=CLObi_fBz7UCFYje4AodsXAA_Q

SnowDad

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 01:45:20 PM »
Thanks Herb Hunter!  That's probably the way to go.  Basically, convert the signal to unbalanced through boost pedal and convert back to balanced.  Then there would be what seems to be an endless number of boost pedals to choose from.

I'm curious if anybody has used something like a mic preamp as a boost to maintain a balanced signal and if there are any that can be foot controlled.

Thanks again!

lmacmil

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 10:34:19 AM »
How about this?

Taylor GA3
Taylor 150e
Taylor 224ce-K

SnowDad

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 06:32:41 AM »
Imacmil, thanks for the recommendation!  I think the instrument input is unbalanced, especially since it indicates it is for high impedance.  The Taylor ES system is a balanced, low impedance output, so I'm not sure it would do the trick.  But, I appreciate you pointing it out.  It's a cool device.

Thanks!