Author Topic: NGD: Fairbanks F-35 slope-shoulder dreadnought  (Read 4359 times)

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
NGD: Fairbanks F-35 slope-shoulder dreadnought
« on: February 24, 2013, 06:33:37 PM »
Several of you may remember I've been waiting for this one. NGD was officially Thursday but I've been too busy playing it to snap some photos and put up a post.

First, some pics. Keep scrolling for a few more thoughts at the bottom.

From the front -- the sunburst is even better in person if you can believe it.

Beautiful mahogany with ivoroid binding.

Fairbanks inlaid into ebony overlay with open-gear Grover tuners.

The name you need to know if you've ever wanted a beautiful slope-shoulder or other 30s Gibson style guitar.

Beautiful finish, great tight-grained red spruce and vintage-style celluloid firestripe/tigerstripe pickguard.

Rosewood (madagascar?) bridge with ebony pins.

Hard to see, but awesome subtle burst on neck.

First of all, this is a Fairbanks F-35 model built by Dale Fairbanks out of South Windsor, Connecticut. It's his very true-to-original take on the classic (and increasingly popular) Gibson J-35 jumbo from the late 1930s.

I wasn't prepared for how stunning this guitar would look and feel when I'd waited long enough to get it out of its box and case -- and I admittedly had high expectations. The sunburst is the best I've ever seen -- it has a subtlety and depth I couldn't quite capture in these photos. The guitar is finished beautifully, and somehow walks a perfect line between vintage vibe and boutique hand-made guitar. There's a little personality in the wood here and there, which I love. The first thing I noticed when picking up the guitar is how light it is. The construction and bracing are all very light and it's built with hide glue like the originals.

The guitar sounds exactly like I hoped it would -- a deep, dry, direct tone that the old 1930s Gibson jumbos are famous for. To me it's kind of like a perfect blend between a really good J-45 and an Advanced Jumbo. The guitar sounds great when flatpicked, fingerpicked, or inbetween (for example, I like to go between strumming with my nails and picking). It's perfect for the folksy stuff I play and it sounds good with vocals. I have no doubt it would hold its own for bluegrass and would feel right at home playing the blues or about any other style. I think this guitar would sound good in anyone's hands -- thrilled to death that more often than not it will be in mine. :)

Anyway, I'm super excited about this guitar. One of these days I'll have to post a sound clip or two. Happy to answer any questions in this thread or via PM.

And since this is the Taylor forum -- don't you worry about my 210. I still love it and it's not going anywhere.
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
Re: NGD: Fairbanks F-35 slope-shoulder dreadnought
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 06:49:32 PM »
Wow, a beauty indeed!!  Congrats!!!

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 08:27:16 PM »
Wow ataylor! That first pic had me thinking you got a Gibson AJ. So similar from the front and the sides looked darker. That burst is excellent.

Glad to hear it's turned out to be special. I really like slopes. I have a J-45TV and I know what you mean when you say "fits any kind of style". A very versatile instrument. Is it short or regular scale?

Congrats and enjoy!

Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 08:40:15 PM »
That's a fine looking guitar.

It's just a pity that their website is so woefully lacking in actual information.

ataylor

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 08:44:47 PM »
Wow, a beauty indeed!!  Congrats!!!

Wow ataylor! That first pic had me thinking you got a Gibson AJ. So similar from the front and the sides looked darker. That burst is excellent.

Glad to hear it's turned out to be special. I really like slopes. I have a J-45TV and I know what you mean when you say "fits any kind of style". A very versatile instrument. Is it short or regular scale?

Congrats and enjoy!

Thanks!

Yeah, this finish on the mahogany is very interesting -- it's not as dark as the traditional J-45 stain (as you can see in the second photo) but when it's not directly lit, it does have a beautiful dark look to it.

It's short scale, so between that and the mahogany it's probably more similar to the J-45, but I think the bracing is closer to an AJ, so it has a slightly more raw, direct tone to my ear, based purely off remembering J-45s and AJs I've played here and there. It would be interesting to compare it directly with a nice J-45 like yours.

That's a fine looking guitar.

It's just a pity that their website is so woefully lacking in actual information.

Thanks -- Dale's website will hopefully be updated pretty soon.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 08:59:13 PM by ataylor »

oatordeal

• Veteran Member
  • Manila, Philippines
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 02:33:49 AM »
that's a really looker! the burst is awe-inspiring! 'grats on the new guitar  ;D
Best regards,
Nims

814ce 2012
GS Mini Hog 2015
'52ri Fender Telecaster 2007

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 01:43:19 PM »
Looks amazing!   8) It's got that great new "vintage" look!  Do you have any sound clips? 
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

ataylor

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 10:50:26 AM »
that's a really looker! the burst is awe-inspiring! 'grats on the new guitar  ;D

Looks amazing!   8) It's got that great new "vintage" look!  Do you have any sound clips? 

Thanks! The sunburst truly is the best I've seen.

No sound clips yet, but I will definitely update this thread when I get something recorded.