Author Topic: Clear Pickguard / No Pickguard - Thoughts?  (Read 13445 times)

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Clear Pickguard / No Pickguard - Thoughts?
« on: February 23, 2013, 04:11:42 PM »
Going to be ordering a new 512ce. I love the look of the cedar top w/o a pickguard with the abalone rosette. I'm going to be playing mostly, if not entirely, fingerstyle.  Do I need a clear pickguard to play it safe, or will I be ok with no pickguard? I'm not a heavy strummer, but when I'm in the mood, I'll pull out my 414. So, any thoughts for the 512ce?
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

joerogrz

Re: Clear Pickguard / No Pickguard - Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 04:25:20 PM »
If I wasn't going to be doing any heavy strumming on it, I wouldn't have one personally. I do like the look of Taylor pick guards, but I wouldn't want one covering up a nice rosette.

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 05:00:06 PM »
First, if you don't need one and second, if it doesn't come with one (obviously you can remove it if it does) then there's no need for one. If you are worried in the least ask them to include a clear one separate from the guitar and add it when you get a notion to or not. That way if you sell it down the road the clear guard is an extra option in the sale.
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

Grafted Walnut

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 05:06:22 PM »
Pickguards can muffle the sound of the guitar due to restricting movement of the top. This is generally not a problem for Taylors though as they are not as lightly braced as handcrafted guitars (Collings, for example).

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 05:07:40 PM »
I have a clear pickguard on one of my Taylors, and I really need to look for it to even see it.
Cindy

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 05:19:23 PM »
Taylor's finishes are very, very rugged, so if I were only doing fingerpicking and light strumming, I probably wouldn't have a pick guard.  But since I occasionally do some moderate to heavy strumming on my 12-fret, I've got a clear guard on it.  You can always get the static cling type of pick guard; that way you can easily take it off whenever you want.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 05:37:35 PM »
Taylor's finishes are very, very rugged, so if I were only doing fingerpicking and light strumming, I probably wouldn't have a pick guard.  But since I occasionally do some moderate to heavy strumming on my 12-fret, I've got a clear guard on it.  You can always get the static cling type of pick guard; that way you can easily take it off whenever you want.
Dennis, I was thinking about the static pickguard, too, as an option.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

gdeleo

• Veteran Member
  • Baton Rouge, LA
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 07:03:49 PM »
I have the clear pickguard on both of my Taylors.  I mainly do finger picking but I would rather be safe than sorry.  You really can't tell by looking they are their.  You can feel them if you run your hand over it.
Gary
2013 Bourgeois OMC Custom
2014 Collings OM2HVN

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 08:06:03 PM »
My choice would be to order without a pickguard, I don't think you will need it.  then buy the static guard and use it only if you need it.  My guess is that you will use it at first, then not so much, and like someone else has said the finish on Taylors are pretty durable. 
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Joseph

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 11:03:13 PM »
I love the look of a guitar without the pickguard... and Taylors specifically. I have a GS7 custom without a pickguard, and I too use it mainly for fingerstyle and some strumming, but without a pick, and I haven't seen any scratches develop yet.  Also, I think that a cutaway looks a lot better without a pickguard too... and if not having one helps the top to resonate more... since some of the top and upper bout are missing anyway.. then all the more reason to be sans pickguard.  :)
Taylor 358e GO (2018)
Taylor 818e GO (2013 1st Edition)
Taylor GS7 Custom (2009)
Guild F-512 (1979)

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 08:11:58 AM »
Absolutely no need for a pickguard for that Taylor finish, especially considering your intended playing style. I have six Taylor GAs. I am a light to medium-aggressive strummer/picker. The only guitar that displays pick-wear is my 2001 514, for which I made the mistake of ordering a clear pickguard. That pickguard shows some pick-wear, while all my other (guardless) GAs show no pickwear whatsoever. My vote is for no pickguard.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

M19

• Veteran Member
All Things Pickguardy
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 09:48:50 AM »
Comment 1: I have a factory installed clear pickguard (permanent) on my Lowden. It is almost invisible.
Comment 2: I did not get a pickguard for my Taylor Custom 12-fret GC. I worry now that since I'm a pinky-planter, I may eventually wear the finish some, so
Comment 3: I got a static pickguard and for the life of me could not get it on without some air bubbles, and it looked like crap. Perhaps a pro at a shop could do it well.

Bonus comment: For looks, I had the pickguard removed from my GS-Mini-M, and the rough top surface combined with the aforementioned pinky technique causes annoying rasping sounds whilst playing. Someday, I'll put a pickguard back on that one.

Conclusion: Factory installed clear pickguard is the way to go if you are worried about wear.
Marty B.
Multi-Brand Owner

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 10:42:49 AM »
Until I bought the 814, I had not owned a guitar without a pick guard.  That guitar is just TOO pretty to cover any of that tobacco burst.  I put a clear static cling pick guard on that guitar after a few weeks.  I have been playing the heck out of it (I'm a strummer), and it doesn't show any wear.
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Redwood Tree

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 10:57:30 AM »
I really like the factory install Taylor clear pick guards, I've had them install 2 on past Taylors.
  They both went on Dreadnoughts.

I don't need a pick guard , I almost never hit the top at all. (Careful player). I use a pick 75 % of the time.
 In the case of a 512 I would not put one on  It would take a lot of play time for little to any wear to start showing.
I also think the smaller sound board needs as moh movement as possable for optium sound.
Tom
"So Many Taylors Not Enough Talant"

Losov

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 01:10:59 PM »
I've seen a few players over the years that might require a pickguard, but I'm not among them.  They should be optional.