Author Topic: Action Height vs. Playing Style  (Read 4819 times)

Floridartist

Changing out the Taylor saddle for a Tusq saddle
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 09:32:37 PM »
 Hello folks, I have a few saddle questions if you dont mind,  anyone changed out there Taylor Saddle for a Tusq saddle?  if so, did it change your sound ? do you like it ?
If I change out my saddle on a 2011 716ce , red western cedar top, would  you know the size of the saddle, thichness and how long, thanks alot
John123

American Red

Re: Changing out the Taylor saddle for a Tusq saddle
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 10:05:38 PM »
Hello folks, I have a few saddle questions if you dont mind,  anyone changed out there Taylor Saddle for a Tusq saddle? 

John, I believe your guitar already has a tusq nut and saddle...

If not, I am sure you can order the stock parts from Taylor

Fire

Re: Changing out the Taylor saddle for a Tusq saddle
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 10:06:02 PM »
Hello folks, I have a few saddle questions if you dont mind,  anyone changed out there Taylor Saddle for a Tusq saddle?  if so, did it change your sound ? do you like it ?
If I change out my saddle on a 2011 716ce , red western cedar top, would  you know the size of the saddle, thichness and how long, thanks alot
John123

Your 716ce should have come standard with a Tusq saddle. If you want to experiment with other saddle materials, google Bob Colosi Custom Saddles. That should get you started.
2011 Taylor FLTD GA Koa 12-Fret
2015 Taylor T5z Pro
2015 Martin 000-15m

Floridartist

Re: Action Height vs. Playing Style
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2012, 09:17:47 AM »
 Thanks for the quick reply,  I did read somewhere that Taylor is useing Tusq on all there guitars now, but I wonder when they started doing it, seems Taylor made a few changes in 2012 , I feel pretty good about my first new Taylor today, I did a setup, got the action down and the strings are setting in nicely, I guess I,ll make my first large payment on it, so it now becomes a keeper.

The truss rod cover, seems pretty plain, I guess its so people caNe have it personalized to there liking, that will be another project for me to look into
Thank you

American Red

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2012, 03:54:49 PM »

The truss rod cover, seems pretty plain, I guess its so people can have it personalized to there liking, that will be another project for me to look into
Thank you

It is not so much what goes into a guitar, but what comes out of it..
Your songs (The ones you write while playing) personalize this guitar with a more lasting memory.

but, it is great that you can enjoy your new guitar on many levels..
We love hearing about your adventure..

now that you have it near perfect, you will come to a point where you will no longer have to fiddle with it.

Be playful.
Make it sing.

A guitar adds a vocal tone to your words.
Helps us to understand your thoughts and emotions.
It has a beautiful voice...

Let it sing..

Floridartist

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2012, 06:44:25 PM »
 Your advice is excellent, I guess I am still in the tweaking stage, I might had gone down a little too much on the big E side of the saddle, so I ordered a new tusq, I cant believe I might want the action higher, I know this guitar has a softer sound, compared to my 45 year old Yamaha's, As for the Elixir medium gauge 13 on the small E, they feel a little rubbery to me, I might switch out to Martins, seems they have more grip, guess I am still tweaking,
thank you
John 123

luckycanine

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2013, 03:24:48 PM »
Besides neck relief and bridge height, nut slot height is also an issue. I have a D35 that sounds absolutely stunning, BUT someone cut the low E slot a bit too deep. So open E and dropped Ds buzz a bit, while fretted low notes are fine.

You can also have a problem with buzzing if frets aren't quite level, although it'll usually just be a problem at one point on the neck for a few strings.

dr b

remove the strings, mask off with painters tape the headstock and neck/fretboard to about the 3rd fret. prop the headstock up so the nut slots are parallel to the floor, practice with a toothpick dripping just a micro dot of superglue on a piece of paper, when you feel you got it right,drop a touch of glue in that low E slot, let it dry for 15 minutes, then refile the slot to desired depth-will fix your buzz.

be sure to mask off everything around the nut in case you drop glue or it runs(use med thickness), i carry the painters tape halfway up the nut in the front and bead press it to the nut, likewise behind the nut at the 1st fret. hope that makes sense.

good luck
d

Hi, tried that glue remedy of yours...worked for me!  WC