Author Topic: body/guitar position  (Read 4142 times)

mikeguywest

body/guitar position
« on: December 22, 2012, 03:37:25 PM »
Have any of you noticed a difference of holding the guitar next to your body, or slightly away? I know the top projects most of the sound, but the back and sides contribute as well. Do you find the sound more open when held slightly away from your body (gut - standing, gut & legs - sitting)?

GSMC Bob

• Gloria & Bob Music
Re: body/guitar position
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 10:15:16 AM »
Yup, I sure do notice a difference.  Try strumming your guitar when it is in the case (lid open, of course!). Then strum it with the guitar standing on its endpin (soundhole facing you in both instances) and you'll hear how damping the back/sides impacts the sound.

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 10:25:24 AM »
There is also a noticeable difference depending on how much you rest/press your right forearm on the upper edge of the lower bout.
Member #34
I'm not darth.

GSMC Bob

• Gloria & Bob Music
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 11:45:39 AM »
Sure is!  I thnk of all that stuff as just another tone control technique at my disposal...

rcoolz

• Its all about Jesus Christ !!
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 06:44:09 PM »
definitly  can hear the difference....I like to lean my head forward to hear the sound from the front,,,,
1995  Taylor 810.....2003.Taylor 410       1997 Martin.DR,,,,,,,2007  blueridge BR  60,,,,,,1937 Gibson mandolin   Hand made custom mandolin.  from K C uller

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 07:23:29 AM »
definitly  can hear the difference....I like to lean my head forward to hear the sound from the front,,,,

And thus the reason sound ports came into existence. Wonder if Taylor will ever offer a soundport?
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

luckycanine

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 07:17:27 PM »
There is also a noticeable difference depending on how much you rest/press your right forearm on the upper edge of the lower bout.

That is one of the arguments for an armrest, supposively dampens the output considerably..the other is comfort.  That edge can eat your lunch after awhile. WC