Author Topic: GS mini - issue/repair .......... question  (Read 6881 times)

jdr1014

GS mini - issue/repair .......... question
« on: January 10, 2013, 06:57:59 PM »
I got a GS mini the first year they came out - wonderful little guitar as many others have attested to.

This past summer I noticed the outer corners of the bridge had lifted from the top of the body.  Took it to my dealer and they contacted Taylor , who responded that the extreme corners of the bridge are not glued to allow for top movement  with humidity changes.   I'm well aware of humidity variations causing tops to rise and fall and this one had been at camp during some higher humidity months.  It seemed to have a pretty "high" top so this all made sense.

Over the past 3+ months the guitar has been back home in my humidity controlled room that has actually been on the low side of the optimal humidity range.  I also noticed recently that the bridge had lifted noticeably more.........well beyond the corners and across the entire back to the point that action had gotten higher.  Still sounded good but obviously needed attention.

Took the mini back to my dealer (who is terrific, btw) and they promptly sent it to an authorized Taylor service shop last week for repair.  I assumed this would involve removing and regluing the bridge.  Today the dealer called to let me know that the shop determined that my mini had too much arch to the top (not due to humidity) and that Taylor would be sending a new body for my guitar and I should have it back in a couple of weeks.

Well, I certainly can't complain about response from my dealer, the service/repair shop, or Taylor honoring their warranty.  In fact, I'm pretty impressed.   I wasn't expecting that the body would be replaced, but it seems that is the root problem and there was no hesitation in rectifying that.  Also a benefit of the NT neck constuction and design, I guess.   I can't help but wonder what the new body will look like and sound like.  One question though - has Taylor made any changes in the bracing or bridge attachment on the GS minis?  Seems to me I recently read something about some changes they have made under the bridge area but can't for the life of me remember where I saw that.

Thanks   :)!   
Taylor 355CE
Taylor GS mini
Martin 000-15SM
Larrivee D-03R
A&L 12 string cedar/cherry
1972 Ibanez 12 string
About 2 dozen electrics - mostly Fender

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
Re: GS mini - issue/repair .......... question
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 07:29:27 PM »
I have read a few threads about the issues with the bridge on the Mini.

I had a Mini and the laminate on the back lifted last fall.  I took it to my local dealer who attempted a fix but it came back again.  He spoke with Taylor and they sent him a new body.

I never got a chance to A/B the body BC that was the day I bought the K66 and traded in the Mini.

jdr1014

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 08:43:56 PM »
That was quite an upgrade, TaylorPlayer516  ;D!
Taylor 355CE
Taylor GS mini
Martin 000-15SM
Larrivee D-03R
1972 Ibanez 12 string

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 09:10:11 PM »
LOL, I never thought about it that way!!   ;D  ;D  ;D

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 09:30:31 PM »
Ha, just yesterday I was watching a GS Mini review video that was talking about this very issue. Apparently the early GS Mini only had the X-bracing with relief rout and was extra prone to humidity changes. It sounds like Taylor has since added a scalloped tone bar to the top bracing to give a bit more stability while still allowing the guitar to sound bigger and louder than you'd think when you pick it up.
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)

jdr1014

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 10:33:14 PM »
That sounds familiar, ataylor - any idea of who did the review?  Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 10:38:08 PM by jdr1014 »
Taylor 355CE
Taylor GS mini
Martin 000-15SM
Larrivee D-03R
1972 Ibanez 12 string

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 12:25:23 AM »
I don't remember his name but I think he's from Singapore -- he does a lot of reviews of guitars, nice guy. It was a GS Mini mahogany review if that helps.
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 09:07:00 AM »
I don't remember his name but I think he's from Singapore -- he does a lot of reviews of guitars, nice guy. It was a GS Mini mahogany review if that helps.
I had just seen that review and so here is a link.  :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir72LlJaoJI
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

jdr1014

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 09:37:33 AM »
Thanks guys!

I hadn't seen that particular review before but that sounds like the issue I had heard something about..............and apparently what I'm getting taken care of.  I'll follow up when I get my GS mini back.!

Again appreciate the responses
Taylor 355CE
Taylor GS mini
Martin 000-15SM
Larrivee D-03R
1972 Ibanez 12 string

andyi5

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 12:48:39 PM »
That's great to hear the issue's been dealt with. Ironically, the majority of these bridge lift issues occur in the countries where the guitars have no warranty such as Thailand, Singapore etc, where humidity is really high. Kudos to Taylor for addressing this.