Author Topic: Pickups for my favourite guitar (Taylor 314-ce)  (Read 2803 times)

DirtySoundMa

Pickups for my favourite guitar (Taylor 314-ce)
« on: January 08, 2013, 07:18:16 AM »
I have a taylor 314-ce. I really love the acoustic sound of the guitar. It is beautiful. I find it as good as more expensive models. But the pickups not so much. I can not get the sound I desire when I plug it at live performances.  Do you have any idea how I could change/improve/upgrade my live sound with this guitar?

Here is a video where it is not plugged. Only a little reverb is added. I will try to find a live recording to show you how it sounds plugged.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pdwKZujNe0

JB12

Re: Pickups for my favourite guitar (Taylor 314-ce)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 10:36:50 AM »
I have nothing relevant to add regarding your pick up concerns.

However, that link you posted reminded me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdYJf_ybyVo  (John Butler's:   Ocean)

DirtySoundMa

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 07:05:51 PM »
I wouldn't say it directly influenced me even if I must admit that I had heard it before..

GSMC Bob

• Gloria & Bob Music
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 07:37:41 PM »
It appears you have the pre-ES Fishman electronics.  I would consider using a Fishman Aura pedal -- especially since the Aura Image Gallery has seven different Aura images specifically for the Taylor 314ce.  You can choose from the various dynamic and condenser mic images to make the UST in your guitar sound like your guitar being played into a high-quality mic.

I use the Fishman Aura Ellipse in my Taylor 814c with great success.  It sounds awesome live with a 50/50 blend of UST/image and by blending in 100% mic image you can record using a direct input as well and get nice results.

JB12

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 09:58:36 PM »
I wouldn't say it directly influenced me even if I must admit that I had heard it before..

I didn't know that was you playing, or else I would have asked if John Butler influenced you at all.

Regardless, nice playing.

GSMC Bob

• Gloria & Bob Music
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 08:15:39 AM »
If you don't want to use an Aura pedal (and you have some extra funds) you can get the onboard version of the Fishman Aura that should fit the opening of the Prefix preamp - http://www.fishman.com/products/view/onboard-aura-1

Just load the images for the 314ce and you're good to go!

DirtySoundMa

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 12:24:22 PM »
Ohh what you're saying makes little sense for me but I will check it out!!!
Tonight!
Thank you for your time...bob

DirtySoundMa

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 01:29:51 AM »
To GSMC Bob:
I checked it out. Interessting... What would you suggest in order to obtain the best sound possible? rather the pedal or the onboard version?
Thank you for your advice