Author Topic: Where to start with picks?  (Read 10205 times)

Jannie

Where to start with picks?
« on: December 22, 2011, 04:40:37 PM »
I've always strummend and latter picked with my fingers, lately working on the more common fingerstyle. But with my new Taylor 214 I can tell this is going to wear hard on those fingers and thumb on my right hand after awhile. Granted there will be a learning period but the guitar is so quiet fingerpicking compared to when I do it with my classical that I feel I'm not really getting the sweet spot opened up on the guitar. So I'd told the salesman yesterday when I got my new Taylor that one of the things I wanted to learn was to use a pick. He collected an assortment of their store brand picks in heavy, medium and light, saying that the medium was his favorite. But they have a huge selection of picks to choose from.

I tried playing with them last night and it was pretty bad, like using a big hammer to crack walnuts. But this last hour I can feel and hear something good starting to happen. But with all the choices where can I start beyond the picks he gave me. Are there tried and true picks that have a general appeal. Not playing rock and roll, more folk and simple instrumental. I notice the really light pick tends to sound kind of muddled when strummed, like it's confused about what it's supposed to do or just muddy. The medium so far seems the best but it tends to slide around between my fingers, do they ever make these with a dull textured finish except where the string hits it. I'm totally new to picks so does anyone have any good tips of how to select and use a pick?

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
Re: Where to start with picks?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 06:28:12 PM »
imho, i would try a wide selection of picks to find one(s) that are comfortable to you & that you like the tone of -
depending on if the picks you are using have a glossy finish or are made of plastic or nylon,
they may feel a bit 'slippery' & you may have better luck with a matte finish material pick

it took me a good 2 months when i started to learn how to strum before i began to be able to 'settle in'
with a pick & initially i 'choked up' on it a good bit, so that the tip of the pick was barely protruding from
under my thumb, but i would try to find what you're comfortable with, in terms of holding the pick

there a quite a few companies that make grip/textured picks -
here are a few that should be readily available at stores

cool picks makes a 'cat tongue' pick (textured nylon) &
click on 'picks' then 'cat tongue'
http://www.coolmusicinc.com/index.html
they also make a juratex pick (feels like sandpaper)

clayton makes a variety of 'grip picks'
http://www.steveclayton.com/grippicks.php

dunlop makes a textured nylon pick
http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/standard
& a matte 'gripping' finish pick
http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/gator-grip

personally, i like the feel & tone of their ultex picks
http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/standard-ultex

i hope this helps, at least for a possible starting point

good question :)

glad you're here :D
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Jack Sparrow

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 06:35:32 PM »
It sounds trite, but: there is no right or wrong answer on picks, it all depends on what sounds and feels best to you. I would say, find a music store that sells picks singly (as opposed to only in packs) and buy a ton of different ones - different weights, shapes, materials (you might be surprised how different the different types of plastic sound), brands, and so on. Most picks are cheap, somewhere around 25 to 50 cents each, so try as many as you can get your hands on.

I'm primarily a rock player and play primarily with a pick - also, I prefer a sharper attack than a lot of other acoustic players do - so my preferences in a pick might be a lot different than yours, but for what it's worth I usually use picks that are labeled "heavy" or are around 1.0 mm, give or take. My favorite pick brands lately are Fender and Dunlop.

There sure are picks that address the slippage issue - anything named "grip", "control", and so on is (supposedly, at least) designed to slide less. The only ones I've tried are Dunlop Gator Grips, which have a powder coating - on the whole pick - that from my experience does make them easier to keep in place. The powder coating doesn't last all that long however, though I use them for their sound rather than their grip factor so it isn't an issue for me personally (I could do without the powder in fact ... seems a little gimmicky to me). There are other types of "grip" and "control" picks too, though I haven't tried them. Also, some people modify picks to reduce slippage. I've heard of punching a hole through a normal pick so that your fingers touch through the hole when you hold the pick, and I've also heard of sanding or otherwise roughing up the part you hold.

andyi5

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 07:20:01 PM »
I've found Dunlop nylon's the best cheap picks around for nearly 3 decades - 0.73's and also 0.88's are great on electrics and acoustics both. They have a raised logo with a great grip, preventing them sliding out of your fingers. Should be able to get them anywhere.

Just recently I've found Dunlop Maxgrip's carbon fiber picks (same sizes) to be even better.

e8n

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 07:51:48 PM »
I love cool picks because they are one of the few picks I can hang on to.  That said, they don't necessarily give me the best sound (although their new material picks are pretty darn slick).

Best thing you can do is try a bunch.  You will discover quickly what is comfortable and what sounds good.

-Dave
2011 Taylor Custom GS (Adi/Rosewood)
2012 Taylor 814LTD Spring Limited
2008 Fender Telecaster
2010 Kentucky Mandolin

Guitars of the past: Alvarez AD60, 2007 Taylor 110ce, 2006 Taylor 710ce, Taylor 2008 GS Fall Ltd, 2010 Taylor 814ce, 2010 Taylor K26c,2010 Taylor Custom DN, Taylor 714ce

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 10:42:37 PM »
imho, i would try a wide selection of picks to find one(s) that are comfortable to you & that

there a quite a few companies that make grip/textured picks -
here are a few that should be readily available at stores

cool picks makes a 'cat tongue' pick (textured nylon) &
click on 'picks' then 'cat tongue'
http://www.coolmusicinc.com/index.html
they also make a juratex pick (feels like sandpaper)

good question :)

glad you're here :D

Michael, how did you ever find the web site for Cool picks? I've searched online and never could find much info about them!

Jannie, I like the CoolCell picks (medium works well for me). The reason I like them is because the grip is textured rubber...little raised nubs that are grippy. I'd be happy to send you one if you want to PM me your address. :) The Cool Stealth picks feel somewhat similar to the CoolCell in that the grip is rubbery and grippy but the nubs are different...not sure if I have any extras but will check.
Cindy

DMBfan41

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 11:01:58 PM »
I played for 10 years before I started using a pick.  Always loved the sound of soft strumming with just fingers.  Don't care for letting my fingernails grow out either.  Can't stand the look or the feel.

When I started taking formal lessons last month, my teacher dude urged me to try using a pick.  I bought a pack of Dunlop medium (orange ones).  Getting used to it now but still find myself occasionally cheating and going back to no pick.
Chad

Taylor 414ce L7
Taylor GSmini
Taylor 214e
Taylor 214
Martin OMCX1KE
Fender Classic 50's Strat

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 11:20:38 PM »
Michael, how did you ever find the web site for Cool picks? I've searched online and never could find much info about them!

Jannie, I like the CoolCell picks (medium works well for me). The reason I like them is because the grip is textured rubber...little raised nubs that are grippy. I'd be happy to send you one if you want to PM me your address. :) The Cool Stealth picks feel somewhat similar to the CoolCell in that the grip is rubbery and grippy but the nubs are different...not sure if I have any extras but will check.
hi Cindy,
the music store where my first 2 Taylors came from has Cool picks -
i guess they're 'multi-taskers' as well, as one could smooth out
the nail edges on their fretting hand in a pinch, if needed ;)

i would be very careful not to let them rub on the guitar body or neck &
i wouldn't recommend placing them between the strings & fretboard :o
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Raven

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 11:28:12 PM »
Right now I am enjoying the Jim Dunlop Tortoise Heavy ...... Very nice and warm sounding....

2012 Fall Limited GSce Quilted Sapele

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 08:12:52 AM »
I like the Fender or Dunlop heavies although I will use a medium sometimes.  I like to flatpick so the heavies are good for that.  I found that when I am doing alot of strumming they tend to fly out of my hand so I use thins for heavy strumming.

I also like to use the V-Picks, the style I like is very thick and costs about $10.00 (I know, I know - $10 for a pick what was I thinking) but I love this thing.  Go to the V-Pick website to see them.  Vinnie is a very friendly guy and would love to help you, I'll bet if you emailed him he would pick (pun intended) out a selection for you to try.

I think like a previous poster said, just buy alot of singles and give them a try to see what you like.  I notice alotof tone difference depending on which pick I am using.  Welcome to the forum.

Terry

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 10:22:14 AM »
For years I used either Martin or Fender mediums (Taylor picks appear about the same, just prettier :)) and then in recent times I started using heavier picks and experimenting with sizes and such. Just as strings make a difference in sound, so do picks and how you pick. As others have said, it's an easy and cheap way to experiment, although there are some rather high dollar picks on the market.
Good luck!
Terry
"Give me some words to dance to and a melody that rhymes" - Steve Goodman
814 (no C, no E),  LKSM-12, Taylor Baritone 6, Holden Village GS Mini

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 10:28:46 AM »
I've always strummend and latter picked with my fingers, lately working on the more common fingerstyle. But with my new Taylor 214 I can tell this is going to wear hard on those fingers and thumb on my right hand after awhile. Granted there will be a learning period but the guitar is so quiet fingerpicking compared to when I do it with my classical that I feel I'm not really getting the sweet spot opened up on the guitar. So I'd told the salesman yesterday when I got my new Taylor that one of the things I wanted to learn was to use a pick. He collected an assortment of their store brand picks in heavy, medium and light, saying that the medium was his favorite. But they have a huge selection of picks to choose from.

I tried playing with them last night and it was pretty bad, like using a big hammer to crack walnuts. But this last hour I can feel and hear something good starting to happen. But with all the choices where can I start beyond the picks he gave me. Are there tried and true picks that have a general appeal. Not playing rock and roll, more folk and simple instrumental. I notice the really light pick tends to sound kind of muddled when strummed, like it's confused about what it's supposed to do or just muddy. The medium so far seems the best but it tends to slide around between my fingers, do they ever make these with a dull textured finish except where the string hits it. I'm totally new to picks so does anyone have any good tips of how to select and use a pick?

Jannie...if you can afford it...buy a several picks.  With really light width picks...there's almost no resistance...and sometimes you can get that "flip, flip, flip, flip" at it hits the strings.  With really thick picks, sometimes for me...the strings can flip the pick out of my hands.

I prefer the medium width...for me it's the perfect balance.  I prefer the Jim Dunlap 60mm width.  They're made out of nylon and have little "grips." 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 03:07:30 PM by jjrpilot-admin »
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales

• Veteran Member
    • LA Guitar Sales
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 12:32:20 PM »
The only thing you can do is try them all, no kidding, there is no best pick out there, only the best for you. The number one thing to look for is a good grip. I tend to stay away from picks with holes and ones that are textured so I need a material that will want to stick to my fingers naturally. Acrylic is excellent for this but at $4 each I tend to worry about them too much which makes enjoying them difficult.  I have tried them all and settled on the Dunlop Ultex picks pictured below but you may find something else works best for you. You will also find that your taste will change so don't worry too much about finding the ultimate pick, there is no such thing.

gdeleo

• Veteran Member
  • Baton Rouge, LA
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 03:02:55 PM »
The only thing that I can add to all of the above post is something that you may want to try that my teacher suggested to me.  Instead of using the pointed side of the pick, use the round side to strike the strings.  This is the way that he plays and it has worked well for him for over 40 years.  This way the pick glides along the strings and for me it doesn't slip in my fingers nearly as much.  Give it a try, you may like it....
Gary
2013 Bourgeois OMC Custom
2014 Collings OM2HVN

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 09:10:40 PM »
picks actually develop a wear pattern with use -
the sides of the pointed end are tapered, which will make a
difference in how the pick contacts & interacts with the strings