Author Topic: Did you stay with Elixirs or have you found strings you like better?  (Read 8266 times)

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: Did you stay with Elixirs or have you found strings you like better?
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2012, 06:35:05 PM »
OK- I said earlier in this post that all my Taylors like D'Addario EXP16s. I recently experimented on two guitars using Elixir 80/20s and D'Addario coated 80/20s, and I'm back to the EXP16s on both guitars. The EXP16s perform consistently well across all my guitars, enhancing volume while providing fullness and richness in the tone. Both newer guitars have less of the Taylor signature sparkle with these strings, but I think that it has more to do with both of them having CV bracing. 80/20s just make the guitars sound a bit thinner and sort of wimpy, so I'm sticking with the EXP16s for now....it's nice to have the variety of tonewoods and bracing among these GAs - each one has its own unique, but pleasing voice. Anyway, I digress...
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Satsuki

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2013, 08:15:30 PM »
I have tries many different brands of strings over the past twenty years but have always gone back to Elixirs.

taylor96

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2013, 02:54:20 PM »
Just wondering.. are you any wiser than before you asked the question..
This question has been asked hundreds of times on every guitar forum out there and the answer is always the same..

Each to his own. Its what you hear and like , not what someone else thinks you should or should not use..

1996 Taylor 510
1998 Martin SPD-16T
2004 Blueridge BR160
Est.1990++ Goya G300

lmacmil

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2013, 04:52:28 PM »
This question has been asked hundreds of times on every guitar forum out there and the answer is always the same..

Each to his own. Its what you hear and like , not what someone else thinks you should or should not use..

True but I haven't asked the question specifically about Taylor guitars.  Hope you didn't waste any time reading the thread.  ;)
Taylor GA3
Taylor 150e
Taylor 224ce-K

GuitarDogs62

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2013, 10:49:50 AM »
I have tried The Martin Sp's and went right Back to Elixers on both my DN3 & DN4. They soud just right and feel and play comfortably. I always feel when you find a brand that sounds just right and fits then don't change it.
Taylor 416
Taylor 526

jpmist

• Soundcloud
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2013, 12:46:59 PM »

True but I haven't asked the question specifically about Taylor guitars.  Hope you didn't waste any time reading the thread.  ;)

<grin> I get the point of the first comment, it really is an individual thing so why should anyone else's opinion matter.

Yet I keep reading these threads because I find out stuff about strings I haven't tried yet. That 80/20's are brighter than phos-bronze for one. Also I get to match my impressions of strings I have tried with other's who try them.

So, for me the D'Ads that came on my new OOV Larrivee are sounding nice and bright, so I'm in no hurry to change them to the Elixar Nano Phos Bronze Lights I usually fall back to.
Taylor 322CE, Larrivee OO-05, Larrivee OOV-03, Strats
https://soundcloud.com/jpmist/got-cover

ds114

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2013, 11:18:58 AM »
I got my 114 about a month ago and had been playing the stock Elixers and was very satisfied with them.

Last night I popped on a set of D'Add EXP16 PBs. In a word, Wow!

I have a new guitar all over again. The harmonics and bass are even richer. And I find the new strings are more playable.

With limited experience,  I can't say if the difference is old strings vs new, PB vs 80/20 or Elixers vs D'Addario, but the difference is huge

luckycanine

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2013, 06:35:01 PM »
Tried many.  For dreads, which is what I like, its hard to beat EXPs17.  Affordable, long lasting, good tone production.  Can usually get good sales on them as well.