Author Topic: Did you stay with Elixirs or have you found strings you like better?  (Read 8267 times)

briguysm

• Yeah, I "play" guitar...
    • The Attic STL
Re: Did you stay with Elixirs or have you found strings you like better?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 03:22:59 PM »
I had always used Elixirs ever since I bought my first guitar 10 years ago, because all of the pro players I knew swore by them. Also, the place I sang every week supplied them for all the players for free.

When I got my 814, my bro-in-law all but put a gun to my head and forced me to try D'Addarios. I used D'Addario EXP's on my 814 and on my K24. True enough it did fatten out the tone quite a bit.

I'm going to see how the Elixirs sound that are being shipped with my BTO, since I requested Elixir mediums from the factory, and then I'll decide whether to stick to EXPs or go back to Elixir again.

I did notice that D'Addarios tend to lose tone quality at a noticeable pace as they get worn, while my Elixirs seemed to last forever. I'm thinking my BTO will be dark enough with the Macassar Ebony and the Sinker Redwood to sound balanced with the brightness of Elixirs.

We shall see.

I guess, to answer your original question though, I can't say I really found strings I liked better. I used the D'Addarios because the sound was different, but I wasn't blown away to the point where I would say they're "better" than Elixirs. I actually couldn't decide if I even wanted to keep using D'Addarios over Elixirs because the difference wasn't enough for me to justify switching from what I've always used. I'm sure that doesn't help at all. lol, sorry.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 03:28:01 PM by briguysm »
2012 Taylor Custom GA BTO - Sinker/Macassar
1998 Taylor W-10
2018 Duesenberg Starplayer TV sparkle blue

lmacmil

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 05:15:02 PM »
When I got my 814, my bro-in-law all but put a gun to my head and forced me to try D'Addarios. I used D'Addario EXP's on my 814 and on my K24. True enough it did fatten out the tone quite a bit.

I guess, to answer your original question though, I can't say I really found strings I liked better. I used the D'Addarios because the sound was different, but I wasn't blown away to the point where I would say they're "better" than Elixirs. I actually couldn't decide if I even wanted to keep using D'Addarios over Elixirs because the difference wasn't enough for me to justify switching from what I've always used. I'm sure that doesn't help at all. lol, sorry.

Any new information is always helpful.  Thanks.  The only problem with these coated strings is they last so darn long, you can't try different strings as quickly.  ;)
Taylor GA3
Taylor 150e
Taylor 224ce-K

Fire

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2012, 10:14:59 AM »
I prefer the D'Addario EXP16 Lights on my 414ce, makes the tone warmer and darker. The only downside is it squeaks a lot. But I kept the Elixir Nano 80/20 Lights on the FLTD Koa as the tone is lush and deep enough and I prefer the tone, feel, and longetivity of Elixirs on this particular guitar.
2011 Taylor FLTD GA Koa 12-Fret
2015 Taylor T5z Pro
2015 Martin 000-15m

lmacmil

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2012, 10:54:41 AM »
I prefer the D'Addario EXP16 Lights on my 414ce, makes the tone warmer and darker.

I'm going to have to try those.  I like the Elixir tone acoustically but with the Baggs M1A pickup, it's overly bright.  Since my only live performing is open mics, I don't have the luxury of EQing out some of the highs.  Btw, I emailed Taylor and they confirmed the put 80/20s on their guitars.  Maybe the PB Elixirs won't be quite so bright.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 02:42:44 PM by lmacmil »
Taylor GA3
Taylor 150e
Taylor 224ce-K

sealcove

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2012, 02:24:31 PM »
I guess I am the odd man out.  I love Elixir strings on my mandolin, but I have never cared for them on any guitar.  I even just tried a set I had in the drawer for the first time on my GC7 and I had to take them off after two days.  Maybe it is a finger style versus pick thing (I only play guitar finger style), but they sound horribly muddy to me.  I had the same opinion with them on my Collings and a Taylor 512.

My absolute all time favorites are Thomastik-Infeld Spectrum Bronze Round Wound lights, but they have gotten too expensive at $20 a set.  Using regular Daddario EJ16's now, which are too bright when new, but mellow out okay.

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2012, 06:50:50 PM »
After reading all the post on this subject I am getting the feeling that you folks change your strings.  Is this something your supposed to do? :o
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

lmacmil

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2012, 10:42:01 PM »
After reading all the post on this subject I am getting the feeling that you folks change your strings.  Is this something your supposed to do? :o

Once a year whether they need it or not!  ;D
Taylor GA3
Taylor 150e
Taylor 224ce-K

Crazyhair

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2012, 09:36:55 AM »
I started to use Elixir lights when buying my GS8e but got a lot of string buzz. Then read that most Taylor guitars are set up with mediums, so I tried mediums. I might as well of had strung it with bailing wire because it lost all playability! Also it developed a major buzz on the D&G strings. On this thread someone mentioned D'Addario EXP 16s. What a difference! I now have playability and what a beautiful sound! I must have played for hours yesterday practicing finger style and different variations of Cuando Callente El Sol. I am normally a rhythm strummer. The sound was so incredible that I will be changing my style of playing to include this and changing to EXP 16s.
Guitars have rescued the very sole and passion of my life!

Taylor GS8e
Gibson ES-355
Alverez 12 String
Gretsch  Electromatic
Epiphone Lucille

Joseph

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2012, 04:58:53 PM »
I have always liked Elixir Nano's on my guitars. However, I love to use Daddario's strings too. I've discovered that their DADGAD set (non-coated EJ24 True Medium 13-17-24-32-42-56) set works great on my Taylor 415, bringing out a stronger bass E presence on that guitar, with a little lower tension on the other wound strings (which usually have a strong presence anyway).   I've found that on the Taylor GS (cedar/rosewood).. that it has such a strong bass that I could use just about any string and like it. Having changed many strings on guitars over the years, it doesn't bother me to do it, so coated strings don't hold much of a draw...  But... you can't argue with the Elixir's longevity!
Taylor 358e GO (2018)
Taylor 818e GO (2013 1st Edition)
Taylor GS7 Custom (2009)
Guild F-512 (1979)

rcoolz

• Its all about Jesus Christ !!
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2012, 06:55:10 PM »
Stayed with elixers,,,,,took then off my GS mini  and installed de adiario,,,,, didnt like the sound......went back to the elixers
1995  Taylor 810.....2003.Taylor 410       1997 Martin.DR,,,,,,,2007  blueridge BR  60,,,,,,1937 Gibson mandolin   Hand made custom mandolin.  from K C uller

ds114

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2012, 07:13:05 PM »
I've only had my guitar for less than 2 weeks, so I've been doing fine and liking the elixirs. I was rather surprised when I found out what they were

That's not to say I didn't buy a couple sets of John Pearse PBs and EXPs even before my new baby arrived

jpmist

• Soundcloud
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2012, 07:35:13 PM »
I try other brands from time to time but always seem to drift back to the Elixar nano's PhosBronze. They pretty much have defined for me how I like for my guitars to sound. Mahogany, rosewood, doesn't really matter.

However I didn't like either the Elixar PhosBronze nor the 80/20's on my Taylor 12, which seemed to respond well to Dean Markley Alchemy Gold Bronze Strings which gave back some of the Taylor crispness that the lower positioned bridge took away.

That said, I have a new Larrivee that I'm leaving the factory D'addario's on for a while just to see how they do. So far I like that they have brightened up it's tone a bit, (it's also a 12 fret, plus with the mahogany top can sound a bit dark) but I do hate string squeaks which the coated strings do much less of.
Taylor 322CE, Larrivee OO-05, Larrivee OOV-03, Strats
https://soundcloud.com/jpmist/got-cover

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2012, 03:22:52 PM »
When I was playing the 814 that I eventually bought, the strings (Elixers) were beat, so I had the store put on a set of strings of my liking - D'Addario EJ16's. About a month after I bought the guitar, it was time for a string change and I used the opportunity to see why people like the Elixers, so I bought a set of PB Nanowebs (light gauge) and tried them out. They sounded good to me, but I hated the slick feel. Also, within only a couple of weeks of regular playing, I noticed that the coating was coming off of the strings. They still sounded okay, but they looked like crap. I kept playing them for about a month, maybe 6 weeks before I though they were tired. At that point I started experimenting with different strings. I tried a set of Martin 80/20's, a set of DR Rare Earth, and then D'Addario EXP 16. I liked the sound and feel of the EXP's the best and have pretty much settled on them. I have used the EXP19 and am now using a set of EXP16's (since September). They still sound and play great, but I am getting ready for my next change and may use a set of EXP26's (11-52). I'm not sure if I will use them on my Taylor because I find that I tend to pull the high E off the edge of the fretboard very easily (grrrrrr!) with the light gauge strings, so I may put these on my Guild.

I have also purchased a couple of pack of John Pearse strings to try. I have heard very good things about them too. For now, I am a big fan of the D'Addario PB strings, and particularly the EXP's. They are coated strings, but unlike Elixers which are coated after the string is wound, D'Addario EXP's are coated before the strings are wound, so they don't have that slick feel. I just think that they sound great and they are my go-to strings. I didn't care for the Elixers. I think they sound really great, but no better than the D'Addarios and I don't like the way they feel. I also prefer Phosphor Bronze strings over 80/20's.

Jim
1980 Guild D50 (Westerly), Antique Sunburst
2010 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R Acoustic/Electric
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2011 Taylor 814CE Acoustic/Electric
2015 Taylor 356ce
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

Penname

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2012, 04:31:28 PM »
My GA8 came with Elixer 80/20 lights that I originally thought were too bright, so I experimented with the Elixer PB lights. Didn't like the PB's as much, so went back to the 80/20's. Then I bought the Voyage Air VAOM-04 that came with D'Addario EJ16s followed by the Martin OM-21 with Martin Lifespan MSP7100's, and went through a phase trying the Elixer 80/20's, D'Addario EJ16's and Martin MSP7100's on all three guitars. in the end, based purely on how I liked the sound and not my hate of changing strings, I settled on the Elixer 80/20's for the Taylor GA8.

And I know this is a Taylor forum and most won't care about the rest of the results, but the Martin Lifespans won on the OM-21 and the Voyage Air VAOM-04. Now I have a supply of orphaned (for now) EJ16 strings - good thing their packaging is great for long term storage.
2011 GA8
2010 210E
2011 Voyage-Air VAOM-04
2012 Martin OM-21

lmacmil

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2012, 06:10:02 PM »
I have also purchased a couple of pack of John Pearse strings to try. I have heard very good things about them too.

I have used these on a couple of guitars and liked them a lot.  Will probably eventually try them on the GA3.
Taylor GA3
Taylor 150e
Taylor 224ce-K