Author Topic: Digitech GSP1101,  (Read 4482 times)

American Red

Digitech GSP1101,
« on: November 30, 2012, 01:57:10 AM »
I have several 15 to 30 watt amps, but now I am looking for something with a more mello tone and a lot of versatility.
Two name brand amps are calling out to me.
Each seem like they would be a fine addition to my home.

Fender Acoustasonic 150, 2 channel and 75 watts per channel, which sells for a certain amount.
Verses
Marshall AS50D 50 Watt, that sells for exactly the same amount.

Although I am familiar with the brands (From the 60's and 70's), I have no experience with any of the current models.

Next I would like to try a Digitech GSP1101..
This is way out of my league, so I am hoping someone understands what I am asking for and what I am actually needing (For home use only).

What recommendations do any of you have (Other than just practicing to improve my sound).

I am leaning towards the Fender Acoustasonic 150.

Both amps are cheap and will easily handle a mike.

As far as style of music: I'm relearning a lot of Beatles songs, James Taylor, Jimmy Croce.
Trying to remember the many varied styles of fingerpicking.
Trying to relearn how to use a finger pick and also a flat pick
Play some rythym and blues..

Just ordered a Stratocaster (Weeping Willow) From LA Guitars.

Obviously, I am open to suggestions.

The smaller amps just do not have the sound I am looking for.
Don't need it to be loud, but want it to sound better when I plug in..

Also, just found the Fishman Loudbox Artist Acoustic amp on the internet..
All three amps seem to have the same MAP.

I do have a couple of grand I can throw at the home set-up, but as we all know, there  are times when less is more.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 08:57:54 PM by American Red »

Crazyhair

Re: Digitech GSP1101,
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 09:40:04 AM »
The amp defiantly makes the guitar. Research and study before buying one for the type of guitar you are using. Don't get into a hurry to buy an amp. A few years ago I bought an 09 Gibson ES-355. When I plugged it into my line six tube tone the sound wasn't impressive. It upset me to no end! I paid a lot of money for that guitar and blamed the guitar till my rational part took over. I've been handling audio for a lot of years but only picked up guitar later in life. So my focus wasn't working correctly. After a few weeks of researching amps and trying them out for what I wanted, the Fender Blues Deluxe is what I chose. What a difference the right kind of amp makes! That turned the sound completely around! Now my guitar sounded like what I paid for!

As far as the amps you listed, have you tried them out yet? If not go to you tube and see if anyone is demoing these at all. Let you ears do the listing not someone else. I'll do some research and see what I think, but your ears are the bottom line. As far as pedals you get what you pay for. I have two Digitech pedals, an RP 250 and a Digitech GNX3. Digitech pedals are bullet proof! The GNX3 I picked up off of Craigslist for a fraction of what Ebay was going for. Its an older pedal but its multipurpose. It is the only one of my pedals I would use for my acoustic only for the recording and looping capabilities. Myself I can't imagine colorizing the sound of my acoustic guitars especially a Taylor. But for looping, digital recording and playback I love it. I'll check out the pedal you listed and get back to you.   
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 01:06:32 AM by UTGF-Team »
Guitars have rescued the very sole and passion of my life!

Taylor GS8e
Gibson ES-355
Alverez 12 String
Gretsch  Electromatic
Epiphone Lucille

American Red

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 11:12:04 AM »
Crazyhair,
Very good advice.
I am starting with a great guitar.
The muscle memory is is improving.
But the amps I have been using are not able to reproduce the sound.

A blues amp (possibly even a tube amp) might be exactly what I am looking for.

The Stratocaster is just for fun, but the Taylor is for my more serious side.

Music stores keep pushing the sale, but it seems like my best avenue to finding the best tone and features..

Thank you for your detailed response...

Here is the Digitech..

http://www.digitech.com/system/documents/2/original/GSP1101Manual18_0474_B.pdf?1286481757
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 11:14:28 AM by American Red »

tedtan

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 11:59:51 AM »
I don't have experience with any of the acoustic amps on the market, so I can't help you in choosing one. What I can say, though, is that these amps are designed for acoustic guitars, not electric guitars, so the Strat you mentioned probably won't sound all that good going straight into it.

If you are planning on getting a modeller like the GSP1101 that you mentioned and then running Strat > modeller > acoustic amp, that changes things and might work out well. Just be advised that an electric guitar into an acoustic amp is usually pretty harsh sounding without some help from pedals/modellers.

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 08:53:01 PM »
 Hi American Red.

I don't presently own an acoustic amp. I plugged my 314ce in long enough to make sure the electronics were working properly. I'm content playing her unplugged. Probably can't go wrong with a Fishman.

What kind of amp do you plan on playing the Strat through? BTW: Congrats on the new Strat purchase!!!  ;D

I prefer 5-15 watt tube amps. I have an Ibanez TSA15H Tube Screamer head and a Blackstar HT5 head. My Boss ME-70 takes care of the needed effects. Pretty straightforward and easy to use. I could live with just an overdrive, flanger, and a wah pedal. The ME-70 gives me about 30 of their signature stomp boxes on one pedalboard.

However you set yourself up, simple always works better for me.

Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

American Red

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 01:12:34 AM »
Hi American Red.

What kind of amp do you plan on playing the Strat through? BTW: Congrats on the new Strat purchase!!!  ;D

However you set yourself up, simple always works better for me.

CodeBlueEMT,

I am thinking a Half Stack for the Stratocaster: Marshall MG100HCFX and MG412ACF.   <-- Again, very reasonably priced for a 100 watt set-up.   
I have always heard the Marshall amps are like the Onkyo's.  A true 100 Watts RMS and equal to the competitions 200 Watt amps.

I love Marshals, but don't want to upset the neighbors, Stratocaster/Marshall could set in the Florida room pointed towards the back yard.
(My neighbors do tolerate my home stereo and I am actually a pretty quite neighbor)
(I won't ever be cranking the Marshall anywhere near ear splitting volumes)

Looking at all options, could I just run the Taylor through my Home Stereo?

Home Stereo: An Onkyo A-9070 Stereo 75 Watt Per Channel Amp driving a pair of Altec Lansing 816a cabinets (15") speakers, with a 2X10" mid range cabinet (250 Watt each Capacity), stacked on top of each of the 816a's , plus 4 Horns for clarity..    Each 816a Holds a 15 inch 421a 100 Watt speaker.

It is a home stereo, so I would probably have to do a RCA pig tail..

But it is a heavy duty stereo...

Here are the Bottom Cabinets

http://altecpro.com/pdfs/vintage/SpeakerAndMics/cabinets/816A%20LF%20Speaker%20Cabinet.pdf   
Hmmm...

The Fender Acoustasonic 150 just looks cleaner to me, but I could run a cord behind everything and rig a plug next to the couch. 

You've really got me thinking..

Okay, the stereo idea is stupid.
The Marshall is probably over the top for the house.
If I get the Fender150, it should easily do either guitar..

So, now, is there any value in the digital processor?

By the way, the tube screamer you suggested for the Strat, looks like a gem..

Very impressive for such a light weight..

« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 02:43:09 AM by American Red »

Crazyhair

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 11:33:59 AM »
Hi Red,

I checked out both amps and the fx processor. These are two totally different amps. The Fender is a modeling amp the Marshal is not. The Marshal is the cleaner of the two. It has two adjustments for EQ, no modeling, and all solid state sound as well. This has no personality when you play because to me solid state is sterile but clean. The reason I bought the Fender Blues Deluxe is because it is a true tube amp with its own personality and not an electronic sound to it. For my ES-355 I want the blues and it gives it to me bold and loud. But that is just for my electrics not my acoustic. I'm not sure if your looking to use it for both acoustic and electric or just acoustic?

The fender 150 caught my attention. Personally I got away from modeling amps because they take away from the true sound of a guitar, except I liked this one. You tube had a good demo on it of two people playing and singing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQriaNDiHds This shows good close ups of the amp features and knobs along with audio demos of someone using it live. I like the fact that it has a compressor which I never thought about using for an acoustic. For my acoustics I personally don't want an electric sound but I want something a little more warm and personable. This amp has that along with some bite. I just bought a Taylor and I think I will look for this model for playing it if I can shut the modeling off at times.

The thing I don't like is having a mike input on a guitar amp. It's designed for a guitar not a microphone and not your voice. The speakers can only represent so much sound at one time and your voice would be competing against the sound of the guitar. I love to sing and I am not going to compromise my vocals by straining my voice trying to sing louder and louder to hear myself. My guitar accompanies my voice in the background until I want to hear only the guitar. Your not going to be able to do that with a guitar amp. As a temporary fix, sure. But don't get into a situation where you end up hating your voice, you might be missing out on something you didn't know you had. Separation of guitar and separation of voice and total control through a foot pedal is my thing. I even loop my voice through and give myself harmony backup with my own voice via a foot pedal at the times I want it.

As far as the digitech, do you really want a rack mount? Pedals have come a long way and for the money you could have a fantastic pedal, and ease of control from where you play. But the Fender 150 is going to give you some of those options that a pedal has without spending the money for one. I didn't see a foot switch input for the amp but I would think it has one. If you have other guitars you might want an fx pedal. I'm not sure what you are playing or wanting to accomplish.

As for myself, my studio is my world away from the world and I'm building it one piece at a time!

« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 11:39:43 AM by Crazyhair »

Taylor GS8e
Gibson ES-355
Alverez 12 String
Gretsch  Electromatic
Epiphone Lucille

American Red

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 01:13:35 PM »
Crazyhair,

Again, what can I say..
Excellent advice..
I have been torn between Marshall and Fender.

You have added clarity to my thoughts and you are reforming my opinions.

Because of your in-depth comments, I am on the phone, wanting to try out this fender first hand and comparing it to the Fender Blues Deluxe you are so happy with.

I have an old tube style pa system in one of my storage sheds I will dig out for setting up the mike.

Ultimately your review has potentially saved me from making a grand mistake.
The honesty and truth you provide in your reviews are what make forums like this so valuable.

The Marshalls have the desired crunch, but the fender should easily handle the acoustic side while providing me with the versatility to explore the Stratocaster side of the equation.
Time for me to do some shopping..

« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 01:19:36 PM by American Red »

Crazyhair

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 02:26:08 PM »
Guirar Center has them on sale right now, I'm going over tomorrow to check them out!

Taylor GS8e
Gibson ES-355
Alverez 12 String
Gretsch  Electromatic
Epiphone Lucille

American Red

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 10:21:24 PM »
Checked one out today..

The Taylors have a great pick-up system. I tuned everything neutral and it sounded just like the guitar I was playing.
Tried out three of the Taylors through the amp..

Very impressed.

The AMP is oh, so light for 150 watts.

The Other Fender amps were much lower watts and were three times the weight..

At this time I am still undecided..

Has the anti feedback button, which is nice...

American Red

Bought the Acoustasonic 100.. Try it and let me know what you think..
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 01:49:47 AM »
So, 30 days have gone by and it is time for an update.

1) returned the Weeping Willow Stratocaster (Let's just say it was not up to par)
2) bought a 2012 American Standard Stratocaster instead.
3) also bought the Fender Acoustasonic 100 watt Amp
(Sadly, the Blackstar 5 Watt tube amp is much louder).
4) bought a DD-20 BOSS twin pedal delay.
5)  and the BOSS CH-1 Chorus.
6)  Also the Ibanez Tube Screamer TS-9 Overdrive Pedal
7)  and the Dunlop JH-F1 Jimi Hendrix Fuzz Face Pedal.
8)  also the much needed Mike stand, Mike and accessories to complete the set.

So, anyone deciding on the Fender Acoustasonic realize, it is very weak no matter what you play through it and no matter what your settings are.
It sounds great, but it sounds very weak..

There is no way this should rate as 100 watts
No way it should rate as 50 watts per channel
I have 10 watt (CHEAP) amps that are louder..

But, the Fender Acoustasonic does sound great and it has a lot of features.
It will not entertain nor will it disturb your neighbors.

Perhaps if you plugged in at their front door and cranked it up till the amp began to distort, you might get their attention.

In the Music store it sounds okay (Low Volume), but I am shaking my head on this one.

The only way to get any sound out of it at all is to turn it to pure amp.

Anyways, just saying..  Make sure you crank it up before you buy it..

Crazyhair

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 09:24:30 AM »
Sorry to hear that about the amp. Like I said in the PM after I tried it, the fender seemed cheaply made from the pan pots to the weight of it. Lets face it a light weight amp has to be missing something. I have yet to find an amp for my acoustics that gives me the sound I like. Then again we are coming from electric guitars that have a lot of drive. I never thought I would own an acoustic and now I like them. Lately I have been checking out the T-5 models which I was originally going to get.

Taylor GS8e
Gibson ES-355
Alverez 12 String
Gretsch  Electromatic
Epiphone Lucille

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 02:44:56 PM »
My Pastor uses a Fender Acoustasonic 150 and it sounds very good with his Martin DX.  I have used one (my pastors) with my 514ce and I loved it.  I have not tried a Marshall AS50D 50 but have heard good things about it.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 02:33:31 AM »
 Out of your 7 listed items, #3 seems to be an amp conflict. Stop spending money until you solve that issue.  :)
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

American Red

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 10:29:48 PM »
Out of your 7 listed items, #3 seems to be an amp conflict. Stop spending money until you solve that issue.  :)

Totally agree, but the Acoustasonic is supposed to be a Combo amp..
It is for both Acoustic and Electric, with a Blackface mode, A Tweed mode and a British Distortion Mode setting..
It also has a pure amp mode for Electric Guitar..
The other settings are for Acoustic Guitars.

Even as an acoustic amp, it sounds weak, but fits my needs..

So, a tube amp is in the future, but I am settling in on the practice mode..