Author Topic: Hi from the upper left hand corner of the US where it rains a lot.  (Read 3434 times)

Jannie

Except for this year, we've had a very dry and beautiful winter so far.
My guitar background: I played in high school, college and beyond, I strummed, we were kinda hippies but not really and played strummed folk songs. I knew about 3 or 4 chords in five keys and never played above the third fret. Back then I played a Martin 00-18C with nylon strings.

In 2007 I got the urge to play again and started looking for something easier to play like the old Martin tenor guitars, only they'd stopped making them and they were very expensive used. So I ended up playing a Tenor Kamaka uke for about three years but mostly noodling around and learning to pick instead of strum.

A friend dropped by one evening mid summer and walked in with his guitar and started playing, after awhile he let me try, it had steel strings and was very difficult and painful to play but wow, it had bass tones.

The next day like a whirlwind (I'd had trouble sleeping, thinking about this) I went over to my local guitar store, it's a very good one where I had also bought my uke. I was going to get just something cheap in a steel string but after several hours came home with a beautiful Esteve 9C/B Classical, cedar over rosewood, way over any budget I might have wishingly imagined and I was in love.

I have played it a lot, every day for the last five months, I have had to relearn pretty much everything ( I got that original Martin in 1962) and have been teaching myself to fingerpick. Lately I've been trying to strum more and have been fastinated watching utube videos of performers and decided I also want to learn to play with a pick. Well my Esteve if I strum it very hard or fast repeatedly can get real muddy fast, it's got a beautiful sound picking which it was intended for but I started studying on the net and asking friends about the differences in available guitars. Most of the performers I know play Taylor, then I found out my brother who has played almost all of his life playes an 814 ( I think).

Last week there was a Martin show and tell at the store, it was so much fun an I tried and fell in love with a 00-28VS which just happens to cost so much that it was out of the question, plus I wanted to keep my classical.

Today I just had to go there and try some more guitars, we started with the less expensive Martins but soon were in the 3K range and then I asked to look at some other less expensive guitars and was suprised how much I enjoyed the Seagull dread. He kept bringing me guitars, I was in the little sound room and then he brought me a Taylor 214, and I don't remember the number but it was a comparable Taylor Dread and really liked both. Then a Martin 000-18, way out of my price range but I tried it anyway and quite frankly I felt the quality but liked the Taylor 214 anyway. Whew. It's home now, I only stopped playing it to write this. I'm pretty sure my Esteve is going to go back to the store tomorrow and be put on consignment, yes it's wonderful but I have been going back and forth and quite frankly don't think I'll play it much anymore. It looks and sounds incredible but my wrist is much happier with the Taylor and the narrow neck I honestly didn't think I'd be able to play after a lifetime of wide necks.

So it's not fancy, my Taylor, and maybe it's my hearing (I wear hearing aids but hear a guitar wonderfully with them in or out) but the sustain on the Taylor is just clean and sweet, the tonal sound (OMGoddess I bought a guitar with laminate sides and back- er plywood) and something must be wrong because dang, to my ears it sounds wonderful, and I swear it sounds more wonderful now than when I got home 4 hours ago (I've been playing the whole time).

So hi, I'm Jannie and I have a Taylor 214, I'm almost embarassed to be here because well it's not a fancy guitar but it sure plays and sounds like one and I really like the looks, the GA body is just perfect for me, but I didn't know that before I tried one.

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Hi from the upper left hand corner of the US where it rains a lot.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 08:27:04 AM »
So hi, I'm Jannie and I have a Taylor 214, I'm almost embarassed to be here because well it's not a fancy guitar but it sure plays and sounds like one and I really like the looks, the GA body is just perfect for me, but I didn't know that before I tried one.

Hi Jannie!  Are you kidding me?  Embarrassed?  NO need to be embarrassed here!!!!!!!!!!  So glad to have you!  I've only heard great things about the 200 series.  Another new member also just got a 200 series guitar and was blown away.  Make yourself at home!!!!

- Josh   ;D
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 08:48:45 AM »
Hi Jannie and welcome! The 214s are versatile guitars and offer a whole lotta bang-for-the-buck! Congratulations on your newest addition to your family...and perhaps it won't be your last! ;D

And thanks for telling us about yourself. It is fascinating to read everyone's history and how they became a Taylor owner. Thanks for sharing an ejoyable read. :)
Cindy

Terry

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 11:01:20 AM »
Welcome from Salem, Oregon. Yep, for a wet part of the country it's been rather dry! That'll change though ;D
"Give me some words to dance to and a melody that rhymes" - Steve Goodman
814 (no C, no E),  LKSM-12, Taylor Baritone 6, Holden Village GS Mini

pacmktg

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 11:38:36 AM »
Jannie,

I have a Taylor 214CE and just love it. 

Bob
Eat dessert first.
214CE
Charvel LP
Hand built Tele by me

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 03:18:25 PM »
hi Jannie,

good to see you here :)
thank you so much for introducing yourself &
sharing adventures/experiences with us

congratulations on the 214 :D
they are great guitars & i'm glad you are happy with yours

hope that you find this place very enjoyable & comfortable ;D

WELCOME !
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

markallen

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 04:47:35 PM »
Hi Jannie,

Welcome from Stanwood WA.

Glad to see you here. It's a great group of folks!

Cheers,

Mark

barefooter

• West Virginia Hills
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 08:35:19 PM »

Hi Jannie!  Are you kidding me?  Embarrassed?  NO need to be embarrassed here!!!!!!!!!!  So glad to have you!  I've only heard great things about the 200 series.  Another new member also just got a 200 series guitar and was blown away.  Make yourself at home!!!!

- Josh   ;D

Hello Jannie.....  I really enjoyed reading your introduction.  You have a wonderful guitar and I am confident good times are going to be had with it.  Looking forward to hearing more from you.
Tom
2005 T5 C2
2010 814ce Tobacco Burst
and a few other pieces of equipment
Romans 1:16

DMBfan41

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 10:26:41 PM »

I got a 214 and hardly embarrassed.  Welcome to the family. ;D  I'd put it up against a solid b/s rig any day.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Chad

Taylor 414ce L7
Taylor GSmini
Taylor 214e
Taylor 214
Martin OMCX1KE
Fender Classic 50's Strat

gdeleo

• Veteran Member
  • Baton Rouge, LA
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 03:47:46 PM »
Hi Jannie,

Welcome and hope that Santa brings what you want for Christmas...
Gary
2013 Bourgeois OMC Custom
2014 Collings OM2HVN

dcarey

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 05:31:23 PM »
Don't know 'bout you but I'd rather see rain than snow in the Winter!
Ya don't gotta' shovel rain!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

John429

• Ann Arbor, MI
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2011, 12:38:09 AM »
Welcome Jannie! I really enjoyed reading your story and hearing about your guitar journey. The 214 is a wonderful guitar, so congratulations! My friend Kody has one and plays it regularly at open mics and I am amazed every time I hear it about what a fantastic sound it has. Glad you are here  :)
2004 Taylor 614ce L30 (daughter's guitar)
2007 Taylor 612ce

coldshot

• Express Yourself
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 04:47:53 PM »
Hi Jannie a warm aussie welcome to you, I also would never be embarrassed about buying a guitar that sounds great to you. 
2009 Taylor 35th anniversary Cocobolo GS
2009 Taylor All Mahogany 8 string (modified from a 12 string).
2004 Taylor GA5
2006 Taylor T5 Koa
2010 Gibson 335 Custom
1995 Gibson J35 Ltd
2000 Gibson L5 CES Custom