Author Topic: I've got GAS!  (Read 5640 times)

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
I've got GAS!
« on: December 20, 2011, 09:41:19 PM »
Had a chance to stop into Guitar Rodeo today, I've had a hankering to look at a 12-fret Taylor for some time now and today was the day!
I knew they had one in stock and it was lucky I went today as there was a hold pending payment on it and by the time I left it was sold.
But, I had a chance to check it out and man, everything I've heard about these is true.  The tonal depth and nuance was pretty amazing, I thought. 
This was a 2011 Spring Ltd GA, edgeburst cedar top with dramatic macassar ebony b/s.  I'm just a novice, so after I plucked around for a bit I asked and Jim kindly put it through the paces, and let me tell you, I got GAS pains bad! 

That guitar is now sold to someone else, which is just as well because I'd been considering going with a BTO but wasn't sure, but after talking at length with Jim I'm convinced that is what I want to do. 
Plus, I found out that unless I go nuts with exotic woods, a BTO is within my budget, I had no idea!

I brought along my GSLJ (~610) so I could compare the sounds, and wow, it's amazing how different they are from each other!
Both great, but easily distinguishable.   The sitka/maple dreadnought is loud, no, it's LOUD, has super clean note distinction, loads of bass and projection, and very, well, precise (currently strung with JP PB's). 
The cedar/ebony 12-fret on the other hand was warm, smooth, complex, and so many other adjectives it's hard to describe.  Looked/felt like it had Elixir's and from the yellow color I'm guessing they were 80/20's, but I could be wrong (I think PB's look more coppery). 
The GSLJ is a keeper, but I think that a nice cedar-topped 12-fret would be a good companion to it, and a fingerstylist's dream. 
Like I said, I've got GAS!
 ;D
-K

(p.s.-Thanks again Jim, for answering my questions and showing me around the inventory.  I WILL be back!)
Member #34
I'm not darth.

barefooter

• West Virginia Hills
Re: I've got GAS!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 09:47:19 PM »
From the grin  ;D on your face, I am not sure if the checkbook is safe :)  Boy, you are the lucky one and the new owner.  You are also lucky to have someone (Jim) to guide you with what you are looking for.  You gave a good review and might have created some GAS for others here, me for one :)
Tom
2005 T5 C2
2010 814ce Tobacco Burst
and a few other pieces of equipment
Romans 1:16

not darth

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 12:05:03 AM »
I sure like mahogany as well, and it's nice that it's not an upcharge. 
Although, Jim showed me a guitar (I think a GS) that had amazingly figured mahogany, and that really piqued my interest. 
There is no option for such listed on the spec sheet, but Jim said he may be able to call and check on availability down in El Cajon - and I'd be willing to pay extra for figured mahogany.

I'm not going to rush into this, I mean, it will happen in a few months, but not in a week or two.  I want to hem and haw and ask lots of questions, and look at pics of other's BTO's, and wind up with the perfect guitar for me, not just a nice guitar in general. 
This is gonna be fun!
(Already added Guitar Rodeo to my 'favorites' list on my phone.   ;) )
-Kris
Member #34
I'm not darth.

not darth

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 12:06:40 AM »
I was also going to say, I'm 6'1" so a dreadnought is not "too" big, but when I was holding those GA's and GC's today, it felt like I had a nice comfy cat on my lap. 
It was really interesting how a little difference can make a big difference.
-K
Member #34
I'm not darth.

John429

• Ann Arbor, MI
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 02:07:22 AM »
Had a chance to stop into Guitar Rodeo today,...

I would love to be able to stop by Jim's and meet him in person, get ideas for a someday BTO and check out the guitars he has available. I just checked and he's about 11 hours away :( It's very cool, Kris, that you are in Jim's neighborhood! Also, it is interesting to hear your thoughts on the 12 fret. My daughter picked one up at the last roadshow we went to, but there was too much going on around us to properly be able to hear it.
2004 Taylor 614ce L30 (daughter's guitar)
2007 Taylor 612ce

John429

• Ann Arbor, MI
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 02:13:38 AM »
My sinker/mahogany BTO is due in this week. [...]

You know , a fun thing about this forum, Schooner, is that I am excited about this for you. I know we'll get some nice photos and hear your story about when it arrives and what it sounds like. I look forward to that, along with you  ;D
2004 Taylor 614ce L30 (daughter's guitar)
2007 Taylor 612ce

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 02:58:57 PM »
I sure like mahogany as well, and it's nice that it's not an upcharge. 
Although, Jim showed me a guitar (I think a GS) that had amazingly figured mahogany, and that really piqued my interest. 
There is no option for such listed on the spec sheet, but Jim said he may be able to call and check on availability down in El Cajon - and I'd be willing to pay extra for figured mahogany.

I'm not going to rush into this, I mean, it will happen in a few months, but not in a week or two.  I want to hem and haw and ask lots of questions, and look at pics of other's BTO's, and wind up with the perfect guitar for me, not just a nice guitar in general. 
This is gonna be fun!
(Already added Guitar Rodeo to my 'favorites' list on my phone.   ;) )
-Kris
sounds like a good plan, Kris

by figuring out what you would like your next guitar to be, in terms of feel & tone, trying out as many as possible in different body sizes/wood combos &
collecting as much information & input as possible, i think that after a while you will have a much clearer idea direction of where you would like to go -
when all is said & done, it could be entirely possible the guitar you envision has a body size & wood combination that you had not previously considered

i think you're in for a great time ... have fun :)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 12:27:24 AM by michaelw »
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Iplay2

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 03:35:27 PM »
Had a chance to stop into Guitar Rodeo today...

Oh that would be such a bad idea for me.  I am pretty much GAS free at the moment; however, five minutes in Jim's shop would be all it would take to have visions of BTO's dancing in my head.  I would love to visit Guitar Rodeo someday if I'm ever up in that neck of the woods, but I know it will be hard on my pocket book if I ever do!  ;)

not darth

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 12:59:35 AM »

Oh that would be such a bad idea for me.  I am pretty much GAS free at the moment; however, five minutes in Jim's shop would be all it would take to have visions of BTO's dancing in my head.  I would love to visit Guitar Rodeo someday if I'm ever up in that neck of the woods, but I know it will be hard on my pocket book if I ever do!  ;)

You speak the truth!  Had that Spring Ltd not been sold, it probably would have come home with me, I brought cash!
(Probably not the best idea though, guitar selection shouldn't be rushed, especially if you are new and don't know exactly what you want, yet.)
:)
-K
Member #34
I'm not darth.

Steely Glen

• UTGF Member #2
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 09:25:33 AM »

This is exactly where I am, but a 12 fretter BTO has been replacing a well-known dancing sugar plumb of late, so a trip to a place like GR would have me turning over sofa cushions and making a You-Can't-Handle-the-Truth kind of speech to my guitar financiers.   
Taylor Guitars & Gear:
2010 Taylor 816ce
2011 Taylor 714ce
2005 Taylor 555ce
Taylor K4 Preamp