Author Topic: Stiff Volume Pot  (Read 3006 times)

sifender56

Stiff Volume Pot
« on: August 17, 2012, 09:14:14 AM »
Hi guys,

I've had my brand new 814ce for around two weeks now but I've noticed the volume control is stiff in comparison to the treble and bass control. Also the volume control's centre detent isn't as obvious as the other two pots. Compared to the other two it sits fractionally lower so must be catching on the bass plate under the knob itself...is there an easy fix to this?? Otherwise it's a 100mile round trip to take it to the shop!!

Thanks

Si

Maynard9089

Re: Stiff Volume Pot
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 10:19:27 AM »
Im not near mine right now but as I recall my volume knob has no detent like bass and treble. As for stiffness, mine works as smoothly as the other two.
2012 Taylor 414ce
2013 Taylor GS-Mini Mahogany

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 10:25:32 AM »
The vol pot used to have a center detent, then they switched to a pot w/o a detent with the first sets of 2010 ES', and since last year I've heard they're back with the center detent.  So one guess is perhaps different sourcing for their pots?

You can easily check for any friction with the knob: the rubber knob simply pulls right off.  Be careful and pull gently/slowly straight up.  Once out maybe you can see if anything looks awry.  Then reinstall knob, making sure it's not jammed all the way down so as to bind at the body?  At least it's something you can check w/o damaging anything.

Edward

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 01:12:44 PM »
 My 2011 314ce has the detent for all 3 knobs. Does that equate to the latest ES?

Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 02:32:21 PM »
Sorry if I wasn't clear: 2010-current is the latest ES version. 

I was simply pointing to their going from a vol knob with a center detent (pre-2010), to no center detent (first sets of the new 2010 ES), then back to volumes with a  center detent (later in 2010, IIRC).  Perhaps they were/are sourcing their pots from different places as time passed ...that's all I was saying.

Edward

Saxacat

• Veteran Member
  • Northumberland, England.
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 03:24:00 PM »
The vol pot used to have a center detent, then they switched to a pot w/o a detent with the first sets of 2010 ES', and since last year I've heard they're back with the center detent.  So one guess is perhaps different sourcing for their pots?

You can easily check for any friction with the knob: the rubber knob simply pulls right off.  Be careful and pull gently/slowly straight up.  Once out maybe you can see if anything looks awry.  Then reinstall knob, making sure it's not jammed all the way down so as to bind at the body?  At least it's something you can check w/o damaging anything.

Edward

Glad to hear this, as my volume pot doesn't have a detent and I often wondered if I'd got a 'dodgy' one.
Taylor GA-Ke
Yamaha LL16
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha SLG100s

More money than ability.

sifender56

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 04:59:38 PM »
So got in touch with the store, they'll send a courier to collect the guitar from me and send it back to Taylor to get fixed...hope I'm not without it for long!

Brian

• just a box of rain...
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 02:42:09 AM »

Edward

Thank you Edward for this tip.  I had the same issue my 214-CE.  The volume knob has never turned nearly as smoothly as the bass and treble knobs and I've basically just dealt with it.  I removed it, cleaned it a little, and reinstalled it w/o jamming it all the way down and now it works great!

-Brian

Brian

• just a box of rain...
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 02:54:00 AM »
sifender56, sorry to see you had to send your guitar back but I imagine if mine was a new 814-CE I'd have done the same thing just to make sure everything was in order with the knobs and ES.  Interested in hearing if it all works well when you get it back.  I imagine you'll be playing it like crazy when you do.  I recently bought a guitar that arrived the day before a planned long family vacation.  It was difficult to get it and then play it only for half a day, but it was alright because when I came back from vacation it was like a new guitar day again.

sifender56

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 02:45:02 PM »
It seemed the pot was loose and the guitar tech simply tightened it up and it now works like the other two ;-) Love it!!!