Author Topic: String Observations Between 80/20's and Phospher-Bronze  (Read 8645 times)

Bill R

Re: String Observations Between 80/20's and Phospher-Bronze
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 03:07:07 PM »
My experience with 80/20 vs. PB with several guitars is that the 80/20's are brighter (more treble, less low midrange and base).  I switched to PB many years ago when I got a '96 Taylor 612c.  As most folks know maple guitars tend to be on the bright side - the PB strings (D'Addario EJ 16's and later coated EXP PBs helped tame that somewhat.  Not all PB (or 80/20) strings are the same, however, as most of us are well aware.  When I got my RT in 2008, it came with Elixir PB nanowebs.  I put a set of EXP PBs on it and immediately noticed a difference in tone (more trebly, less midrange and base and less warmth).  I went back to the Elixir PBs.  That guitar just sounds better to me with those strings.  I then put the Elixirs on my 612c and noticed an improvement (to me) in its tone - more balanced, better midrange and base. 

Obviously we all have different preferences for tone in any given guitar, and strings can make a significant difference in the tone of any acoustic guitar, probably more than all the other "mods" that can be made (changing saddle/nut or bridge pin materials). 

I once read a quote from Brian Swerdfeger in Wood and Steel about investing $70 in a great education - buy half a dozen different kinds of strings and see what you like the best on your guitar.  Sounds to me like a worthwhile investment and good learning experience. 

Bill
Music is what life sounds like.  ~Eric Olson

2002 - Taylor GA 500 series 12-string
2008 - R Taylor 2 cocobolo and Swiss alpine spruce (for sale)
2013 - John Greven OOO

dsamuel24

• Moderation in moderation. :)
    • www.dustinsamuel.com
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 03:45:31 AM »
Having always played 80/20s on my Taylors, I decided to try the PBs to see what the difference was. I was immediately and decidedly disappointed with the looks, playability and tone of the PBs... so much so that I took them off after just a short time. They looked like "dead" strings to me even though they were brand new (the darker color made the strings look used up and corroded to my eye) and they were stiffer and played harder than any 80/20 set before. And then there was the darker tone... on my 615ce maple the dull tone took the sparkle away from my baby. I now play Elixir Nano 80/20 med/lights on both of my Taylor Jumbos exclusively and am content in my belief that there is no need to try other strings to get the sound I want. My $.02, FWIW.
Taylor 615ce-L30 Hnyburst (2004) - FOR SALE
Taylor 615ce w/ES3 & TaylorSense (2000)
Taylor 315ce w/Black Tuner Buttons (2010)
Taylor 214ce-BLK w/Blk Tuner Buttons (2012)
Taylor GS Mini-LTD All Koa (2016)
Alvarez 5072 Jumbo (1994)
Ventura Mini Jumbo (2002)

dangrunloh

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2012, 09:47:11 PM »
I am happy to note that someone besides myself notices the different tension between the 80/20's and phosphers bronze.

The 80/20's are easier to play and the tension is lower as measured by the gap at the 6th fret when holding the low-e string down at the first and twelveth frets.

It's not simply that there is more tension on the PB's.  The alloy itself is reported to be stiffer than 80/20.  If you really want to experience stiff strings try Dean Markley Alchemy Goldphos PB's.  Golden tones but they feel like bridge cables.

I have found some PB's that sound great on my 414 but the Elixers were not among them.

Also I've been confused about the terms "warm" and "bright".  Warm strings can still be bright as evidenced by the D'Addarrio PB brand. That is the claim of many PB's. Warm AND Bright. The warmest PB's can still have a bit of "sting" on the attack.  The opposite of bright is mellow.  Some 80/20's (Newtones) are much more mellow than many PB's even though they are technically" less warm". :)

darylcrisp

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2012, 01:28:16 AM »
i've found a higher tension feel in PB of various brands. i typically use medium gauge or some mix, so it is more apparent with the thicker gauges as well.

i've also found GHS to have a stiffer feel than say John Pearse. Elixir are in the middle road for my touch. I tend to not care for the sound of Elixir PB but can like the 80/20 composition.

i tend to feel it takes a few days for Elixirs to "set in" and deliver a nicer sound-say 3 or 4 days. i don't think the sound you hear right after stringing up Elixirs, is what you get in a few days-they tend to always get better.

my overall preference these days tends to go with John Pearse 80/20. Martin SP will do in a pinch, followed by the Elixir Nanoweb 80/20.

d

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 07:29:42 PM »
I just put Elixir 80/20s on my Pelican. They're too bright and thin-sounding, but maybe they'll get better in a few days. I put D'Addario 80/20s on my sinker/ovangkol BTO. Sounded very nice, added a bit of brilliance and shimmer to the guitar's otherwise "dark molasses" sound. I usually use PBs on all my GAs, so the jury is still out...I'll post again once they've both broken in....
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Cigar36

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 11:19:13 PM »
Strumming Fool,

I also own a 1995 Taylor GA-KS - sitka/koa.  Really like it.  Recently put D'Addario EXP 16 (phosphers bronze) on it.  Gave it a little more base.  I also find that the D'Addario EXP's seem lighter (easier to play) than the Elixir's.

What do you use on your 1995 Taylor GA-KS - sitka/koa?

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2012, 08:19:18 AM »
Strumming Fool,

I also own a 1995 Taylor GA-KS - sitka/koa.  Really like it.  Recently put D'Addario EXP 16 (phosphers bronze) on it.  Gave it a little more base.  I also find that the D'Addario EXP's seem lighter (easier to play) than the Elixir's.

What do you use on your 1995 Taylor GA-KS - sitka/koa?

Currently I use the EXP16s, and my instinct tells me to stick with them for this guitar. I think they strike the right balance between briliance and bass. By the way, I love this guitar. I picked it up earlier this year from an estate sale. (The guy had owned over 150 guitars, but this one really grabbed my heart.) I traded in a similarly appointed Larrivee OM-10K to get this guitar. Glad you like yours as well!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Maynard9089

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2012, 08:38:39 AM »
I have been experimenting with strings for the last several months. Last weekend I put on Martin SP PB's in .12-.54 and so far they are the clear winner for me. Prior to these I liked the John Pearse strings. I was close to just switching back to the Elixers that came on the guitar to A/B them against the Pearses but I had a new box of these Martins that I hadn't yet tried. Glad I did.
2012 Taylor 414ce
2013 Taylor GS-Mini Mahogany