Author Topic: Do you bring your guitar when shopping for another?  (Read 11553 times)

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
Re: Do you bring your guitar when shopping for another?
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2011, 07:30:29 PM »
That is funny!   ;D

I really found it valuable to bring my maple dreadnought along when I stopped in to see Jim at GR. 
Having different guitars side by side to A/B really showed how different mine was from a GC or even the GA size guitars. 
Another thing that was great was hearing another person play my guitar, it sure sounds different 'out front'
I will definitely do this again, but as another mentioned, probably not at big box retailers.  Of course, with the great private stores in the Minneapolis area there is little reason to go to a megachain. 

In the weeks since my visit with the 12-fret, I've been poring over the spec sheets, trying different combinations, and 'googling' pictures of similar combinations.  Oooo, it's fun!
:)
-Kris
Member #34
I'm not darth.

dkoloff

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2011, 07:37:00 PM »
As much as I like my guitars I do not have the urge to take them as a reference....i want the next guitar to be its own adventure. And if it turns out not to be right then there is the next one.
DavidK
Taylor Custom GA
Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald x20 OS
Rainsong Shorty Gloss
Composite Acoustic OX HG
Composite Acoustic GX RAW (Peavey)
Voyage Air Vaom 1C (2)
Breedlove Pro C25 CRH
Baden D Style
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2011, 01:56:24 AM »
I welcome outside guitars here. I have a customer who has traveled several times to my shop to try guitars and he usually has his to compare. On more than one occasion, he brought in his PA system and set his whole rig up so he could see what the possibilities were. What a hoot. The last time he did this, he accidentally took the shop guitar and left his here. When he went to the Podium to get new strings (yes, he is a serial guitar shop visitor), he thought someone had stolen his guitar!! Meanwhile, his guitar was contentedly sitting in the showroom right where I thought the shop guitar was-they both have the same type of case...  Both of us were happy that we figured out what had happened. Any shop that is serious about taking care of their customers properly will encourage, not merely tolerate, this type of behavior (comparing guitars-not accidentally taking them ;)). They will also encourage people to take guitars home on spec to test what the result is in a familiar environment. Usually, I know that this is happening, rather than by surprise like in the instance above...
hi Jim,

i've heard of that happening at a shop also (not while i was in there), but somehow someone was given the
wrong case, even though they were both clearly tagged (06 714ceLTD engl/eirw & 08 714ceLTD cedar/koa) ...
it took a few hours before the switch was even realized & another day before it was sorted out - aaieee :o

'case-check', aisle 4 ;)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Guitar Rodeo

• World's largest independent Taylor Guitar dealer
    • Guitar Rodeo Company
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2012, 11:34:20 AM »
"Chord cleanup, aisle 2"......
Jim Tordoff
Guitar Rodeo Company
Specializing in Taylor, Santa Cruz, Carmel, Morris, Huss & Dalton and Breedlove Guitars
http://www.guitarrodeo.com
877 487-6336

jon@myfavoriteguitars

• My Favorite Guitars
    • My Favorite Guitars
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2012, 12:28:43 PM »
Sometimes we send someone two guitars so they can A/B them in their own environment.  It costs them a little extra for shipping on the second guitar, but many people feel it's worth it when they can't find guitars locally.  :)
Regards,
Jon and Sharon Garon
http://www.myfavoriteguitars.com
Store Line: 239-530-PICK (7425)
Authorized Taylor Guitars Dealer

rudals1281

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2012, 03:29:46 PM »
I've never heard anyone do that. I bet the store owners are going to be, "what the heck?" But I think you'd know your guitar and thus no need to take it into a store.
2008 Taylor 614CE

dsamuel24

• Moderation in moderation. :)
    • www.dustinsamuel.com
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2012, 11:27:35 PM »
I mentioned recently that I am going to go take a listen to a 12-fret guitar soon, and someone suggested that I take my current Taylor along so I can compare the familiar sound to the new sound, in that specific setting.
Sounds like a great idea, a little bit of a pain, but a great idea.

Anyone do this?  Have you ever had negative feedback from the storekeeper?
Thanks!
:)
-K

I've done it 2x...
1) First time at a GC in Denver and the guitar I thought I wanted (not a Taylor) didn't sound near as good as the one I brought in (also not a Taylor), so I left with what I brought and nothing else. All I had to do there was check in at the front desk, where they opened the case, wrote down the brand, style and the few accessories I had in the case, and let me in (then they checked it all again on the way out).

2) The 2nd time was just a week ago ago when I drove to Rapid City SD from Denver (I may re-post the thread I shared on the AGF here about that crazy story) to pick up my new 315ce... I took my 615ce in to A/B with the 315 (not that I most likely wouldn't have walked out with the 315 regardless of what the A/B revealed, which BTW was cool cause the 315, IMO, sounded every bit as nice, balanced, deep and clear as the 615), and there was NO issue there at Haggerty's, not even a case check. I just brought the 615 in, took mine and theirs over to a sitting area, played them for a bit, bought the new 315 cash and headed out the door.

I think bringing in an owned guitar to A/B with one that might be purchased is a GREAT idea and I would not patronize a dealer or shop that wouldn't allow it... although I don't see any shop or store taking that harsh stance (especially if the patron is willing to submit to any "security" or "loss prevention" measures the shop/store requires).
Taylor 615ce-L30 Hnyburst (2004) - FOR SALE
Taylor 615ce w/ES3 & TaylorSense (2000)
Taylor 315ce w/Black Tuner Buttons (2010)
Taylor 214ce-BLK w/Blk Tuner Buttons (2012)
Taylor GS Mini-LTD All Koa (2016)
Alvarez 5072 Jumbo (1994)
Ventura Mini Jumbo (2002)